Sound dampening.
May 24, 2007 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wafflesomd

500+ Head-Fier
Hello.

Does anyone know of a manufacteur of say, sound dampening panels.

I was thinking of possibly putting some up on my walls, considering most of my entire day is spent listening to other musicians, and playing my own instruments.

I would also like to pick up on a nice recording mic eventually.

May 25, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 13
this place has cheap foam..
http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html
not sure how good it actually works but since all you want to do is kill the sound from other rooms I would think you pack a bunch of that you should be good.

another Cheaper method would be the pink panther insulation stuff, pack the crap out of the walls with layer on layer etc and that WILL kill the sound...

these are two ideas but I am no sound proofing expert..so take them with a grain of salt..and a french fry

edit: i misread your post, i thought you said you wanted it in your walls..sorry

May 25, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Can't reco a specific brand - but make sure to compare various shapes and thicknesses to ensure you're getting enough attenuation at the frequencies you desire. See if you can find the approximate frequency range for the instruments you'll be playing - and see what attenuation you'll get at those ranges.

Also - be prepared to spend some $$$. You may plaster your walls with 6" thick material that does little to nothing to hinder the transmission of the sounds you're playing.

May 25, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 13
My friend who works at a Car Stereo shop use Dynamat.

May 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 13
When we work on the apartments, we always put up pieces of soundboard between the studs and the drywall. It works wonders killing the noise from the street and neighboring apartments. I doubt you want to tear out your walls, but you might want to try mounting soundboard to your walls to see if that helps. It's a lot cheaper than the "audiophile" stuff.

May 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 13
This fiberboard product used to be readily available in home stores. I haven't looked lately. It's cheap, easy to cut and only needs to be covered with fabric to create a very effective sound absorbing panel. It's used a lot in home theater applications.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/ac...usti_board.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When we work on the apartments, we always put up pieces of soundboard between the studs and the drywall. It works wonders killing the noise from the street and neighboring apartments. I doubt you want to tear out your walls, but you might want to try mounting soundboard to your walls to see if that helps. It's a lot cheaper than the "audiophile" stuff.

If you mount sound channel on top of the soundboard, and then attach your drywall to the sound channel it creates dead air space between the two, and almost doubles the sound deadening abilities.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 13
I’ve bought those foam like panels from Amazon and heavier curtains. I also have a couple layers of rugs too on the wood floor.

There is no one size fits all but in my situation it makes the sound feel more 3D like and better focused.

It also works well too if you’re a guitar player. It will make your guitar sound better too.

I did a comparison where I took my guitar to a treated room and then an untreated room which was an empty garage. It sounded muddy and terrible in the garage. And much better in the treated room.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 13
If you’re on a low budget, you can hang your winter coats and jackets on the walls. You could also hang bathroom rugs or anything soft and fluffy from the Goodwill or any used thrift store. It looks ugly but depending on your room, it might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back