Sound card with optical in and out for Linux and Windows
Jan 25, 2006 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nicknameless

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a sound card with optical in and out, hopefully bit perfect, that works in Windows and Linux to pair with my DEQ 2496. What is a good card. I am looking for $10-$100 CAD for a good card. What should I get?

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 7
I second the M-Audio DIO, seems like the best supported thing for XP & Linux right now.

Chaintech AV710 does not have digital input, only an optical digital out.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 7
An audiophile 2496 is only $100 CAD but it is coaxial not optical. The maudio transit from the same place is $130 CAD but I can get it form a US store for $80 USD. I don't know if ti works on Linux. The Turtle beach Catalina is $60 and has optical ina dn out but doesn't work on linux. One guy said he found a $30 card with optical in and out that was suppostively bit perfect. Should I just get the transit? Does it work in linux?

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Also I can't find any mention of the Delta DiO 2496 other then the ALSA compatibilty page. Where can I find a place to buy it, new or used? Also it sounds like a high end card. Would teh DAC anda ADC be better than the DEQ 2496? If ti is should I still get the DEQ 2496 as a EQ? And should I use the digital XLR instead of optical?

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 7
The Dio2496 works with Alsa. It is not very common, but I have spoken to people using the Dio2496 along with an ART DI/O for the DAC on Linux. It is discontinued, but easily found on eBay. As another poster mentioned, the M-Audio Audiophile PCI is the same chipset, and has coax digital in/out.

I don't know about M-Audio Transit. The M-Audio Sonica does not have a proper firmware on the device and requires proprietary software to upload the firmware before it will work, which prevents it from working on Linux. The Transit may or may not require this.

I am not familiar with the DeQ 2496.

As far as Optical vs Coax vs AES digital (AES uses the XLR connector, but is a different impedance than regular mic cables if I remember correctly), go for coax. AES is better for long distances than coax as it has better electrical noise rejection. I generally recommend coax over optical because you can get by cheaper than optical. RG9 coax cable commonly used for cable TV works well for short-medium distances, and is the proper impedance (75ohm) for the SPDIF standard.

Also, Parts Express is an excellent source for digital cables, optical or coax, plus you can also stock up on good stuff like Neutrik headphone jacks and audio grade capacitors/resistors
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back