Sound Card to Drive 250 Ohms -- Thoughts?
Jan 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nihl

Head-Fier
Looking at a pair of DT 770s (the 250 Ohm / pro version) to use mainly on my desktop PC. Right now I don't have an amp/dac, but I do have a soundcard -- unfortunately it does not have a headphone amplifier. I was looking at the STX..

Thoughts?

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 16
A used Audio Technica ATH-A900X, with Hifiman Velour ear pads, is what I prefer over my DT770s.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 16
  Right now -- XIFI Xtremegamer. =/

XtremeGamer would not be my first choice for driving the 40-Ohm ATH-A900X, but it would do the job and not as good as the STX.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 16
It wouldn't be my choice either, it's just what I've had for the last five years.

I actually tested the XiFi Titanium HD -- and the XG version sounds much better, to me anyways. So far others have recommended the STX and SBZ.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 16
You need a card with a built in amp to properly power 250 ohm headphones. The Titanium HD doesn't have a proper headphone amplifier, but the STX does (and that would be a very good choice).

As Purple said, the Extremegamer is pretty long in tooth now - time for that upgrade
smile.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 16
Yeah, you'd need an amp (via the line out/s) on the HD to drive those Beyers. You could of course get the 80 ohm version (got a lot of bass).

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 16
So would an STX really be the ideal choice? It seems like some portable/dedicated headphone amplifiers are cheaper. Like the e17 for instance.

Although, I'll mainly be sitting at my desktop most of the time..

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Well we know you ought to get better card at least (Cheaper Xonar - the DX is good - or a Titanium) and then buy an amp like the E17 or a Magni/O2. Kind of the same price as a STX. Getting a DX+amp would probably be the better solution but the STX is excellent. Sup to you.. Hopefully Purpleangel can help you out there.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 16
I say if the sound card has features that you would want besides the headphone amp, then go for it.  I have seen Creative sound blaster Z's go for 60-70 dollars for the oem version which is the same as the normal version, It has a headphone amp in it of course it not as strong as the STX one.  You could always attach a Schiit Vali/modi/E17 to your existing X-FI card, Unless you want to upgrade the card. I also seen a Aune T1 usb dac amp for $140ish the last time I looked. Also you might be able to find good deals in the f/s section of the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back