Sound Blaster ZXR Op-Amp replacement for $193
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently talking toi someone in eBay selling the op-amps. He said these are the amps I need.

for ZxR you will need:
for Buffer position( two op amp sockets near I/O ports) => (ADA4627-1BRZx1 converted to mono op amp) - 2 sets
for I/V position( two op amp sockets which is far from I/O ports) => (OPA211ID*2 converted to dual op amp) - 2 sets

total: 4 sets of op amps ( 2 sets of them are composed of total 4pcs of IC chips)

Total cost: 23.4*2+73.12*2=$193.04 (shipping fee excluded)

Holy cow, this cost almost the sound card itself. Can someone who've completed the replacement tell me if it's worth it?
I don't listen head phone but I want the pc speaker (companion 5) to have more accurate bass response. ZXR is good but
bass sounds horrible at the moment?

Can someone give me some advice?

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 17
  I am currently talking toi someone in eBay selling the op-amps. He said these are the amps I need.
for ZxR you will need:
for Buffer position( two op amp sockets near I/O ports) => (ADA4627-1BRZx1 converted to mono op amp) - 2 sets
for I/V position( two op amp sockets which is far from I/O ports) => (OPA211ID*2 converted to dual op amp) - 2 sets
total: 4 sets of op amps ( 2 sets of them are composed of total 4pcs of IC chips)
Total cost: 23.4*2+73.12*2=$193.04 (shipping fee excluded)
Holy cow, this cost almost the sound card itself. Can someone who've completed the replacement tell me if it's worth it?
I don't listen head phone but I want the pc speaker (companion 5) to have more accurate bass response. ZxR is good but
bass sounds horrible at the moment?
Can someone give me some advice?

Guess your dealing with the eBay seller Mindforyou, who I know zero about.
For the costs you are talking about, you might be better off selling off the SB-ZxR and going with an external DAC/Amp (Audio-GD NFB-15 or NFB-11).

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 17

Sorry, no external dac option. I want everything to be confined inside the PC. If it's worth the money, I am willing but I certainly do not want to waste money on something which makes no difference.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 17
I really really doubt it will be worth it. I'm not even sure those op amps are the best you can buy for that huge amount of money(muses come to mind). For that price I would save a little more, sell current speakers and get better ones. No offense but those are nothing special even by computer speaker standards.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 17
What the heck..hearing is believing I just went ahead and ordered the stuff. I just couldn't stand muddy bass response of ZxR. Hopefully, this will solve my problem

Did you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS, when you installed the sound card.
Are the Creative drivers/software updated to the latest version?

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 17
I just got 'em chips and plugged into my Zxr today. Wow is the same sound card?! some enchanting experience it is.
Some wild instrument separation with real, real deep bass in much bigger sound stage. I never knew op-amps could make this much difference.   
I am presently surprised indeed.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 17

for ZxR you will need:

Do these op amps need to be converted, or can they be used as is?

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 17
Well as you bought the converted chips, I was assuming that they were different to unconverted chips

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 17
just google the chip name and some suppliers will pop up. you cant find them anywhere..ebay, etc. Watch out though, on newegg if you buy, check the suppliers profile page and reviews. I was going to buy from one of them before reading a one star review claiming they sell counterfeit parts...so, be mindful of the source as much as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back