Souls-like/Souls-borne thread
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #66 of 80
I like this guy's review style. He knows how to prove a point, in a logically, coherent sequence.

Really sharp guy. His statement about 'context' is spot on.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #68 of 80
Not sure about this game after seeing the play presentation. There's been so many souls-like disappointments that's been released, that I don't have much hope with this one. Not as good looking as presented in previous trailers.

I guess Fromsoftware's craftsmanship can't be matched in this domain. Can anybody progress the souls-like genre with a good story, and evolution in the gameplay? I don't see it yet. I think 'Remnant from the Ashes' is the only one that I see that has progressed (unfortunately, not in the story department), or at least branched the souls-like genre with originality in gameplay. It's either they try to be a copycat, but does it wrong or just everything about the experience is badly done. It's probably because developers do not understand why Fromsoft games were so special. They do not know understand the key ingredients.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #72 of 80
This is a promising statement. I didn't event expect Lies of P to be as good as it was. Now, this one is good? If so, we are heading into the right direction with Souls-likes.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #73 of 80
Lots of souls vets thinks it's good game. I personally don't think the design of the armor/enemies are Fromsoft level, and don't like the look of the design based on the trailers. And the world doesn't look really that great, but maybe it looks better when actually playing it.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #74 of 80
If you haven't checked it out, look at Loot River

I found it in a video from Iron Pineapple (has a series where he plays games on steam tagged "Souls-like"). It's a difficult, 2-d roguelike souls-like with a really cool platforming moving mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back