Sorbothane for vibration isolation?
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
SO been thinking about getting some vibration treatment done to my transport and DAC, but want to do it cheap.

Someone at work suggested using Sorebethane..particularly halves of Sorbothane balls with felt pads on the bottom so the Sorbothane itself wouldn't stick to the surface.

It sounds like an affordable and effective way to treat vibrations..but was curious if any of you has ever tried it or have any views on the matter?

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
SO been thinking about getting some vibration treatment done to my transport and DAC, but want to do it cheap.

Someone at work suggested using Sorebethane..particularly halves of Sorbothane balls with felt pads on the bottom so the Sorbothane itself wouldn't stick to the surface.

It sounds like an affordable and effective way to treat vibrations..but was curious if any of you has ever tried it or have any views on the matter?

I personally think it's a waste of money.  It stains your furniture and is no better than getting some sheets of dense neoprene and cutting out circles yourself.  And there is really no need to worry too much vibration effects on solid state gear... Tubes and turntables, yes.  Either way, neoprene works fine, won't stain, and isn't nearly as expensive.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 8

I've a single set of these you can have.

Friend of mine had these made some years ago but never put them into production. I've a set here he gave me for photographing and doing the graphics work. The diameter is 1-5/8" and height including the balls is just under 2". I don't remember what the eleastomer is he used, but it's not Sorbothane.

If you want 'em, shoot me a PM.

Edit: Oh yeah, they have cork pads on the bottoms.

se

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 8
sachu,

I've had great success controlling unwanted vibrations in my audio gear using various items from Herbie's Audio Lab - http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ - and the kit isn't too expensive.

Cheers. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 8
thanks steve for the isolation platform..they look pimpin! Haven't done any listening yet to see if they made any difference..later this evening.

Used it on the DAC..all the way in the bottom of the middle stack.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 8

You're welcome, sachu!

I'll stay tuned for the next episode of Pimp My DAC.
biggrin.gif

se

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 8
I have to agree that with solid state you will not see any advantages of sorbothane, I know I did not but with my Technics SL-1200, it was amazingly valuable, when I tap on the side of the TT that sits on the sorbothane feet it transfers virtually nothing to the needle, without it, speakers reproduce every tap. I just think it only matters to TT.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Sorbothane is great stuff, but I agree on solidstate gear it is probably useless.
Exceptions I know: it worked audibly well under some CDPs I had (even on an exceptionally solid cabinet), and ATM I'm using Sorbothane feet under my PC (big rig with two optical drives and 4HD); clearly makes it less noisy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back