Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #7,142 of 9,173
It would be interesting to hear how you felt it fell short. I hear no defects but we all hear different of course. Massive bass, good sub reach (with the right ear tips, I had to use the largest, inserted properly. Mids are not boosted or scooped. Highs have detail but the least amount of edge (what treble fans call *sparkle*) I'd heard in any IEMs. I am sensitive to highs so I'm biased there.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #7,143 of 9,173
Sitting with the Audioquest Nighthawk. Happened to sample a pair of the Z7 at a Best Buy Magnolia and they're the first headphones to make me want to move on from the hawks. Wow sony. VERY well done.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #7,144 of 9,173
  Sitting with the Audioquest Nighthawk. Happened to sample a pair of the Z7 at a Best Buy Magnolia and they're the first headphones to make me want to move on from the hawks. Wow sony. VERY well done.

I'm going to be putting my pair up in the classifieds soon, if you're interested.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #7,147 of 9,173
  It would be interesting to hear how you felt it fell short. I hear no defects but we all hear different of course. Massive bass, good sub reach (with the right ear tips, I had to use the largest, inserted properly. Mids are not boosted or scooped. Highs have detail but the least amount of edge (what treble fans call *sparkle*) I'd heard in any IEMs. I am sensitive to highs so I'm biased there.

Probably not fair given the fx850 costed about 8x the XB50 at the time of purchase for me, but the resolution of the fx is that much better. There is much more clarity in the mids and high, better stage and depth too. They both have similar bass quantity but the fx is much more cleaner and hits harder

In terms of an overall sound, I think the XB50 sounds like a downslope EQ from left to right, whereas the fx850 has the left side slightly up, and the rest flat.

My Z7 has just left JP!

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7,149 of 9,173
Anyone have ever compare the z7 vs the zmf omni or the alpha prime..???
If yes, any impresiions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

The Z7 vs Alpha Prime.  You would expect the Prime to win on bass, being a planar, but no.  The Z7 has more mid bass, and maybe even more sub bass.  The Prime does have better instrument presentation and separation.  Spacing just seems more accurate.  But the Prime, in my opinion, lacks that romantic quality I like in headphones.  It's just not as musical or forgiving as the Z7, in my opinion...

I haven't heard the Omni yet, but I have heard the Blackwood Vibro.  Now that headphone is very romantic, with a darker overall presentation.  But I think the Z7 still has superior sub bass, but loses out on mids.

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #7,150 of 9,173
The Z7 vs Alpha Prime.  You would expect the Prime to win on bass, being a planar, but no.  The Z7 has more mid bass, and maybe even more sub bass.  The Prime does have better instrument presentation and separation.  Spacing just seems more accurate.  But the Prime, in my opinion, lacks that romantic quality I like in headphones.  It's just not as musical or forgiving as the Z7, in my opinion...

I haven't heard the Omni yet, but I have heard the Blackwood Vibro.  Now that headphone is very romantic, with a darker overall presentation.  But I think the Z7 still has superior sub bass, but loses out on mids.

Ooo. Thanks so much for the impresions

Giving me some insight of buying the ZMF or not.

I have love and hate relationship with the z7 where ilove the warm and good exension of the bass. But i really dislikes the poor imaging and soundstage presentation.

All frequencies seems bleeding into each other eventhough i ran via balanced 4 pin xlr with master 9 amp.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #7,151 of 9,173
Ooo. Thanks so much for the impresions

Giving me some insight of buying the ZMF or not.

I have love and hate relationship with the z7 where ilove the warm and good exension of the bass. But i really dislikes the poor imaging and soundstage presentation.

All frequencies seems bleeding into each other eventhough i ran via balanced 4 pin xlr with master 9 amp.

Thanks,
Jonathan

That's so strange, I just got a pair of Z7 and find imaging and soundstage very good for a closed phone ! Just goes to show we all hear different. I just finished listening to three old prog. rock Genesis albums (when Phil was the drummer). They really sound very good. I even picked up on a lot of backing vocals, I had never really heard before. The only thing they were a little weak with was the treble, like the hi hat cymbals, they were a little sub-dued. But hell yes these are very forgiving and quite lovely. Makes me wonder why these are not more popular ! Do people not try these out at the meets ? Oh well, I really like them. The Nighthawks and Omni are next on my list to try.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #7,152 of 9,173
  That's so strange, I just got a pair of Z7 and find imaging and soundstage very good for a closed phone ! Just goes to show we all hear different. I just finished listening to three old prog. rock Genesis albums (when Phil was the drummer). They really sound very good. I even picked up on a lot of backing vocals, I had never really heard before. The only thing they were a little weak with was the treble, like the hi hat cymbals, they were a little sub-dued. But hell yes these are very forgiving and quite lovely. Makes me wonder why these are not more popular ! Do people not try these out at the meets ? Oh well, I really like them. The Nighthawks and Omni are next on my list to try.

Oh I completely agree, again for a closed headphone.  The Omni is my next headphone too.  Being semi-open and having thicker pads, the soundstage should be wider...

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #7,153 of 9,173

It's been a real long while since I last gave the z7 a go. However, I do think it is a very good sound. I feel the z7 soundstage criticism may be due to the fact that while it is good for a closed can, you nonetheless get the sense that it is closed. Whereas with something like a TH900, the soundstage goes beyond good for closed and into the realm of being competitive with certain open options. Just my perspective on how to better understand this disparity in opinions.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,154 of 9,173
It's been a real long while since I last gave the z7 a go. However, I do think it is a very good sound. I feel the z7 soundstage criticism may be due to the fact that while it is good for a closed can, you nonetheless get the sense that it is closed. Whereas with something like a TH900, the soundstage goes beyond good for closed and into the realm of being competitive with certain open options. Just my perspective on how to better understand this disparity in opinions.

I agree to your opinions bro with the sense of smaller soundstage of z7.

Some forum said due to the large driver act like subwoofer which can cause the disturbance of other frequency. This causing poor imaging and separation of instrument and later to smaller sounstage.

But the z7 is still a fun sounding can.
I love the warm and comfy of z7 which i was able to wear for longer time.

P/s:gonna try the mods soon.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #7,155 of 9,173
The sound of the MDR-Z's isn't as wide as my D5000s and especially my ATH-A900Xs, but it sure has more depth, with a 3D-ish surround effect.
And without ruining details, imaging and texture. I think Z7's imaging is almost at the same level as my BeoPlay H6s, which are commonly recognized as headphones with excellent imaging.
(Edited: replaced BeoLab by BeoPlay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back