Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #7,126 of 9,173
I agree with Mark, Fostex sounds different than Z7 :)

I have both 900 and Z7 here, and all I can tell you is that I ended up modifying both. I even swapped E-mu cups on my 900 as trial and I didn't like what I hear. It goes in circle kinda like fully modified Z7 is toes to toes with stock 900, then slightly modified 900 will still hang around, and only until "fully modified 900" can really pull away from it.

Finally, they both compliment one to another :D

Z7 at it price range and for stock is already too good, and even if you ended up modifying it, you still have it good and satisfying at affordable prices.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #7,127 of 9,173
Hi guys,
Jonathan here..quite new to headfi,
Wanna ask regarding my z7..have it for 4 months..
Really a bit disappoted..
Evethough i am using a balanced 4 pin..
The sound still congested, muddle and bleed to each frequncies..??

Is it the fault of big driver or mine is faulty..???

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #7,128 of 9,173
Awesome, thanks guys!

Damn I think I'll end up getting both..... My first decent iems were the XBA3s and I sort of miss that cold harsh treble! It did bass pretty well too, even though it had a very thin presentation.
Owning the FX850s sort of changed my preferences, it's like bolting on loud speakers to my head!  
basshead.gif

Since the purple heart x00's aren't active on massdrop I'll settle with the Z7 for now. If my wallet permits I might even head for the TH900s instead! (hopefully).

Now to get a PHA-3 or not! Could get a ZX1 for a very decent price but it looks like they aren't supporting updates for it which is unfortunate given the plethora of phones Sony actually makes...

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #7,129 of 9,173
Hi guys,
Jonathan here..quite new to headfi,
Wanna ask regarding my z7..have it for 4 months..
Really a bit disappoted..
Evethough i am using a balanced 4 pin..
The sound still congested, muddle and bleed to each frequncies..??

Is it the fault of big driver or mine is faulty..???

Thanks,
Jonathan

What amp are you using?  And what's your source?

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #7,133 of 9,173
Haha..i think so..i have the audeze lcd x..
But still not upto my taste..i would love to have a sweet and addictive midrange..or so the female vocal..

My best bet qould probably be the Hifiman He 6 or edition x..

Thanks,
Jonathan

Or an HD650.  I know I know.....but still....

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #7,134 of 9,173
Or an HD650.  I know I know.....but still....

Huehuehue on the z7 thread too haha.

Haha..i think so..i have the audeze lcd x..
But still not upto my taste..i would love to have a sweet and addictive midrange..or so the female vocal..

My best bet qould probably be the Hifiman He 6 or edition x..

Thanks,
Jonathan

TH500RP...crazy i know as its not* so popular but maybe...judt maybe.

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #7,140 of 9,173
Originally Posted by sibilantz /img/forum/go_quote.gif My first decent iems were the XBA3s and I sort of miss that cold harsh treble! It did bass pretty well too, even though it had a very thin presentation.

My favorite in ear, bar none, with a sound most like the Z7 (for a low price) is the Sony MDR-XB50AP. Get them on EBay, open box for around $20. About $30 new. Not a misprint. Huge bass, but not excessive to me. Nice low mids and mids. High mids are easy on the ears and highs are detailed and extended, but apparently not enough for those who seem to hate these for some strange reason.

I have both 900 and Z7 here, and all I can tell you is that I ended up modifying both. I even swapped E-mu cups on my 900 as trial and I didn't like what I hear.

I tested the Fostex 600 and it was too sharp on top, too scooped in the mids, and too boomy in the bass (and I'm a bass head). The 900 is supposed to be even more extreme in those areas. Tell us please how you modified the 900 and did you do it with the aim of curbing their ridiculous treble? I think they tried to reign that in on the TH-X00 but they still have a long way to go from what I'd heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back