Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #7,111 of 9,173
The wife got me the FiiO Alpen 2 e17k Amp/Dac for Father's Day. It's no Sony PHA-3 (way outta my price range) but so far I really like it. It's a good warm sounding amp with no fatigue and seems to be a good match with my Z7. I'm just running 48K 16Bit for now from my laptop via USB and iPod Classic via Aux input. The Z7 sounds amazing from the USB connection as in this configuration the FiiO is using its onboard Dac.

While I'd love to be able to afford the PHA-3, I've really been enjoying my Z7 with the FiiO E12. Plenty of power and I think it sounds nice with the Z7 (even with bass boost turned on)

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #7,112 of 9,173
these intrigue me....thinking of trying these out.

i currently have the sony 7520s (love the detail) and senn 650s
...people have also suggested the massdrop thx00 as a compliment.

but what of the newer Sony mdr 1A vs the Z7

i love quality bass slam and detail,
but not if it's overpowering the other parts of the music.

rock, jazz and blues are what i listen to.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #7,113 of 9,173
  these intrigue me....thinking of trying these out.

i currently have the sony 7520s (love the detail) and senn 650s
...people have also suggested the massdrop thx00 as a compliment.

but what of the newer Sony mdr 1A vs the Z7

i love quality bass slam and detail,
but not if it's overpowering the other parts of the music.

rock, jazz and blues are what i listen to.

I have the HD650 and Z7 as complimentary pieces.  I love the HD650 for what it does with female vocals, but the Z7 is great for when I crave more bass.  There are a couple female singers I love that play upright bass too.  And I prefer the Z7 when I want to hear their instrument shine...

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #7,114 of 9,173
Just got my Z7 out of the box about an hour ago.  Been going through a number of my favorite songs and really enjoying them.  The bass is fantastic.  Now I'm in trouble because I'm thinking there is a fair chance I will want to keep them.  Something is definitely going to have to go.  I am looking forward to getting the kids to bed tonight with the wife out of town so I can sit down and compare these with the HD650 and maybe the MM400's.  I think the P7 is on its way out.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #7,115 of 9,173
yeah i understand a number of people have either the massdrop fostex thx 00 or this sony
as a complimentary set of cans to the hd650s....the bass doesn't bleed into the mids or anything i presume?

anyone compare these with the new sony mdr 1A and my current cans the 7520s?

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #7,116 of 9,173
Mixed feelings thus far.  HD650 has more detail and the presentation is better, but severely lacks bass in comparison.  There is just something about the vocals that is off with the Z7.  That was mostly last night with the Magni/Modi (1's) from my MacBook.  Today I was just comparing them again briefly with my iPhone to Dragonfly Red.  I can tell the Dragonfly struggles a bit more with the 650's.  Comparing the Z7 to the Denon MM400 through the Dragonfly Red still makes the Z7 a bit odd.  The MM400 has a much better tone and doesn't lag behind in bass by as much as the HD650.  The MM400 is really a nice match to the Dragonfly Red.  Now I'm trying with my NuForce Icon iDo.  It's got a bit more power.

My pursuit is a bit different from many as I have 4 kids and much of my listening is more mobile and I can't have a big desktop rig.  I listen when and where I can.  There are things I love about the Z7.  Very comfy.  I love the big pads.  Love the bass signature and tone.  The thing I have the most trouble with is the vocal presentation.

Earlier with Nathaniel Ratliff - Thank You, I preferred the MM400's. Now with Anderson .Paak - The Season/Carry Me the Z7 shines a bit more.  I'm using the Icon iDo right now.  Both sound better on this track than the HD650.

I will continue using the Z7 and see if we find our happy place.  As of now I see myself sending these back by the end of the week and sticking with the MM400's.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #7,118 of 9,173
Does the Z7 get loud enough with the Dragonfly Red? I have the Dragonfly Black and it's great for my IEM, but doesn't seem to have enough power for the Z7 so I still have to use my FiiO E12. I'm thinking about returning the Black and getting the Red but I've also been thinking about just returning the Black and sticking with the DAC built into my LG V10.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #7,119 of 9,173
Does the Z7 get loud enough with the Dragonfly Red? I have the Dragonfly Black and it's great for my IEM, but doesn't seem to have enough power for the Z7 so I still have to use my FiiO E12. I'm thinking about returning the Black and getting the Red but I've also been thinking about just returning the Black and sticking with the DAC built into my LG V10.

Loudness is not a problem...Z7 has 108 Db/mW rating. I got it blasting ears with Zx2 Japanese version. However, if you want the best out of it ? May want to do something with an amp

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7,120 of 9,173
I find the vocals with the Z7 to be really excellent, but then to me the overall balance counts, as long as the vocals sound natural, tonally and size-wise, I mean in relation with the instruments or orchestra I don't mind a little recess when compared to other headphones that is. I mostly listen classical music and vocals in Baroque opera's and oratoria sound wonderful with the Z7s. 
Let me add to this that the Z7s have a pretty big soundstage, big in width and depth for a closed pair. I am pretty sure the MM400s have a smaller headroom than the Z7s. I haven't yet heard a pair of headphones with upfront vocals and a big soundstage at the same time...yes I must confess that I never listened to a pair of true high-end headphones, so maybe it is possible.

Mixed feelings thus far.  HD650 has more detail and the presentation is better, but severely lacks bass in comparison.  There is just something about the vocals that is off with the Z7.  That was mostly last night with the Magni/Modi (1's) from my MacBook.  Today I was just comparing them again briefly with my iPhone to Dragonfly Red.  I can tell the Dragonfly struggles a bit more with the 650's.  Comparing the Z7 to the Denon MM400 through the Dragonfly Red still makes the Z7 a bit odd.  The MM400 has a much better tone and doesn't lag behind in bass by as much as the HD650.  The MM400 is really a nice match to the Dragonfly Red.  Now I'm trying with my NuForce Icon iDo.  It's got a bit more power.

My pursuit is a bit different from many as I have 4 kids and much of my listening is more mobile and I can't have a big desktop rig.  I listen when and where I can.  There are things I love about the Z7.  Very comfy.  I love the big pads.  Love the bass signature and tone.  The thing I have the most trouble with is the vocal presentation.

Earlier with Nathaniel Ratliff - Thank You, I preferred the MM400's. Now with Anderson .Paak - The Season/Carry Me the Z7 shines a bit more.  I'm using the Icon iDo right now.  Both sound better on this track than the HD650.

I will continue using the Z7 and see if we find our happy place.  As of now I see myself sending these back by the end of the week and sticking with the MM400's.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7,121 of 9,173
The vocal area is wide, so what many consider important and recessed is around 2 khz. There is a wide bump around 800 hz that along with the recessed 2 khz region, may not bring out vocal clarity. My biggest issue - which was reduced by the mods (but not totally gone) was a resonant build up around 1 khz. If I take any standard common media player (Windows Media Player, iTunes) and open up the EQ to fix it. Before, I'd cut 6-8 db at 1 khz (just that slider - nothing more). Now I cut it 3 db. Once you do that they are near perfect. Yes, a bit more at 2-4 khz, and a bit more air above 10 khz, maybe 1 db less at 80-100 hz, and 1 db more at 20 hz but that's being picky. I'm still trying to think of other mechanical solutions to that as I like to avoid EQ when possible.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #7,122 of 9,173
So I've decided to order the z7. Strangely I cannot find anything else worth considering at the price.

I've also seen the zx1 at a relatively lower price than the pha3. Is anyone currently using the zx1 with these phones?

I thought it would be better if t could power the z7, but then Android 4.4 and lack of fast charging would do it head in lol

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #7,124 of 9,173
Lol that was what I was following before I decided on the z7.
Feedback is as mixed as the z7, and as much as I asked the purple heart version my brain kept pushing me towards the Sony.

Any idea which would be better at female vocals?

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,125 of 9,173
The Fostex is more V shaped, but has more high end. If you like a lot of "air" on vocals, and "sparkle" and you want a bit more of the cutting higher mids (lower treble) the Fostex. For warmer sound with more body on vocals, but less edge to it (and everything else) then you'll want the Sony. It's never easy to describe, we all hear differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back