Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,096 of 9,173
Anyone know of a cheaper portable cable for the Z7. Was looking into the kimber cable put its too high for me. Is it worth that much for a cable?
I like the stock cable but it's too long for portable use. I used twisty ties to make it shorter but my daughter asked me why am I wearing a necklace:hugging:

We offer many cable builds at different prices. Let us know if you have any questions regarding the options we have.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #7,097 of 9,173
Anyone know of a cheaper portable cable for the Z7. Was looking into the kimber cable put its too high for me. Is it worth that much for a cable?
I like the stock cable but it's too long for portable use. I used twisty ties to make it shorter but my daughter asked me why am I wearing a necklace:hugging:

You could just have your stock cable shortened, if you are satisfied with it...

Or better yet, have your other stock cable reterminated.  Its already shorter...

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7,098 of 9,173
  I've become rather intrigued by this decidedly divisive headphone.

Given that Secondipity has been offering the MDR-Z7 factory refurbished for $320 and I found a 10% off coupon which took $32 off that price, I decided to purchase a pair.

I'll probably keep them stock through the 90 day warranty... after that I might consider mods depending on how I like their stock sound.

I'm a big open headphone fan and my current go to head phones are the Hifiman 400 series, yes I own all three model and think they are fantastic in their own ways.  I also have the old standby HD600 along with DT880 250 and Philips Fidelio X2 to round out my open headphones.

Only closed phones I'm using these days are T70p and occasionally V-Moda M100 and a set of rarely used AKG K553s at the office.

I'm not sure how I'll react to the Z7.  It is hard to gauge based on the level of love and hate and to be honest it seems like those who hate these phones genuinely hate them and those that love them only love them after mods.

Nope, I love them just as they are.
No upgrades for this fella :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #7,099 of 9,173

Whitigir is right...there are lots of cheaper cable options for the Z7 other than the Kimber Kable. When you buy the Kimber's your paying a premium price for the Sony/Kimber partnership, and also because they were made specifically for the Z7. I did get mine for a decent price, $185 shipped. The build quality of the Kimber's is top notch and they definitely have a premium look and feel to them. I also like how they screw into the stock jacks. There are people on Head-Fi who could make you a nice set of cables and could also use the 3.5 mm terminals from your stock cables so they would screw onto the stock jacks and all at a cheaper price.

As for if I think the Kimber's or any cable are worth the asking price? The benefit of custom headphone cables are a well debated subject and I think it all comes down to if YOU personally can tell a difference. As for me, as soon as I plugged them in I had a "WOW" moment and could tell an honest improvement in sound over the stock cable. The Kimber's bring the treble more forward and tighten up the loose bloated bass quite a bit. The Kimber's, or a another custom cable can make the Z7 sound better, but whether they are worth the price will be entirely up to you.

Other than the Kimber Kable upgrade, my Z7's are stock, but I believe the biggest improvement's can be made with an internal wire upgrade and cup dampening. The $185 I spent on the Kimber's could probably have been better spent on those mods. It's my understanding Whitigir is willing to help Z7 owners, for a fee of course, with those mods if you choose to go that route.

Cheers

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #7,100 of 9,173
I recently got the MUC-B20BL1 and have been extremely happy with it. Once you hear the difference, it'll make the saving worth it :) 
Just saying from personal experience. I haven't got a chance to experiment with other cables but I love this one on the Z7 when properly amped with the PHA-3.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #7,101 of 9,173
You can also check the myriad of balanced or single ended HD600 cables and just replace the connectors for 3.5mm mono plugs.

I like these plugs for their cost and variety if you don't end up going for expensive materials.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161881846165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #7,102 of 9,173
Thanks will look into it today
We offer many cable builds at different prices. Let us know if you have any questions regarding the options we have.

My soldering skills are not as good as they were.
You could just have your stock cable shortened, if you are satisfied with it...

Or better yet, have your other stock cable reterminated.  Its already shorter...

I was about to buy a kimber cable and there was an auction that started at $150 but sadly I fell asleep as it ended somewhere at 1AM at one bid:scream_cat: Some lucky dude for it for a good price.
Whitigir is right...there are lots of cheaper cable options for the Z7 other than the Kimber Kable. When you buy the Kimber's your paying a premium price for the Sony/Kimber partnership, and also because they were made specifically for the Z7. I did get mine for a decent price, $185 shipped. The build quality of the Kimber's is top notch and they definitely have a premium look and feel to them. I also like how they screw into the stock jacks. There are people on Head-Fi who could make you a nice set of cables and could also use the 3.5 mm terminals from your stock cables so they would screw onto the stock jacks and all at a cheaper price.

As for if I think the Kimber's or any cable are worth the asking price? The benefit of custom headphone cables are a well debated subject and I think it all comes down to if YOU personally can tell a difference. As for me, as soon as I plugged them in I had a "WOW" moment and could tell an honest improvement in sound over the stock cable. The Kimber's bring the treble more forward and tighten up the loose bloated bass quite a bit. The Kimber's, or a another custom cable can make the Z7 sound better, but whether they are worth the price will be entirely up to you.

Other than the Kimber Kable upgrade, my Z7's are stock, but I believe the biggest improvement's can be made with an internal wire upgrade and cup dampening. The $185 I spent on the Kimber's could probably have been better spent on those mods. It's my understanding Whitigir is willing to help Z7 owners, for a fee of course, with those mods if you choose to go that route.

Cheers

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #7,103 of 9,173
Opportunity has arised for me to get these at $500, cheapest I have seen ever! 
Sort of always wanted this but not at $1000 aud, and mixed reviews didn't help either. I was actually going to consider the new Rosie/Angie2 from A&K but then I saw these and thought maybe I needed new headphones..

My current daily is the FX850. Does anyone have these woodies to sort of paint the picture on how they compare? 

TIA!

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #7,104 of 9,173
  Opportunity has arised for me to get these at $500, cheapest I have seen ever! 
Sort of always wanted this but not at $1000 aud, and mixed reviews didn't help either. I was actually going to consider the new Rosie/Angie2 from A&K but then I saw these and thought maybe I needed new headphones..

My current daily is the FX850. Does anyone have these woodies to sort of paint the picture on how they compare? 

TIA!

congrats! I own three pairs. One for daily use, two as spare. :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #7,105 of 9,173
Thanks will look into it today
My soldering skills are not as good as they were.
I was about to buy a kimber cable and there was an auction that started at $150 but sadly I fell asleep as it ended somewhere at 1AM at one bid:scream_cat: Some lucky dude for it for a good price.

If you could have gotten them for $150 that would have been a steal. When I decided I was going to buy my Kimber I looked for a used for about a week and couldn't find one, gave up and bought a new one from Japan. It took almost 3 weeks for them to get here. But it was worth the wait.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #7,107 of 9,173
  Haha I am still deciding, but you with 3 pairs is crazy! Send one my way!!
Jokes aside, do you really love them that much to commit to spares, or did you get them cause of some great deal?

I buy spares of hps I like. Such as Sony MDR-XB1000, MDR-V600, MDR-SA5000, MDR-MA900, etc. and other brands. Much of these have gone up in value if I want to sell them.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7,108 of 9,173
I buy spares of hps I like. Such as Sony MDR-XB1000, MDR-V600, MDR-SA5000, MDR-MA900, etc. and other brands. Much of these have gone up in value if I want to sell them.
haha, me too...

I wish I still had a pair of Sony MDR-CD1700, had three pairs and sold them all on at various times.

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #7,109 of 9,173
I caved and ordered a set of these today. Shhhh, don't tell my wife. They are getting delivered to my work tomorrow. I may have to start selling some of these. Started with B&W P7, then Senn HD650. Quite some time passed and I added the Denon MM400. Then I got the Senn M2 Wireless. A few weeks back I got a Dragonfly red and went back to the Denon's. Let's just say I have had a lot on my plate lately and decided to reward myself, so I ordered the Z7. I bought them from Amazon, so if I don't care for them it will be a fairly cheap test drive. I'm really excited to try them out!

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #7,110 of 9,173
The wife got me the FiiO Alpen 2 e17k Amp/Dac for Father's Day. It's no Sony PHA-3 (way outta my price range) but so far I really like it. It's a good warm sounding amp with no fatigue and seems to be a good match with my Z7. I'm just running 48K 16Bit for now from my laptop via USB and iPod Classic via Aux input. The Z7 sounds amazing from the USB connection as in this configuration the FiiO is using its onboard Dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back