Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #781 of 9,173
  Wish there were more (early) impressions of the Z7 here.

I'm still thinking of getting them but other headphones like the Senn HD700 are going for same price. I know those are open vs closed (among other things) but at this point/price I'm just looking for the best possible overall sound.

you got the hp50 ? i think you can get them for now and Z7 later when some reliable impressions creep in .

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #782 of 9,173
  Wish there were more (early) impressions of the Z7 here.

I'm still thinking of getting them but other headphones like the Senn HD700 are going for same price. I know those are open vs closed (among other things) but at this point/price I'm just looking for the best possible overall sound.

Is is going to be subjective on which headphone is going to sound better for you. I have learn from experience that all the reviews in the world will not prepare you how your judgment will differ with the reviews. If I did not own the 7520 I would not be thinking about the Z7. After RMAF I will then have a good idea on what next headphone to aim for.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #783 of 9,173

you got the hp50 ? i think you can get them for now and Z7 later when some reliable impressions creep in .

Was about to get the hp50s but keep hearing about comfort issues due to weird headband. Plus, despite the great reviews, they may not be large enough improvement over the Momentums I returned (too tight on my head).

Right now I'm mostly using my hd598s due to high comfort and great soundstage but I'd prefer a bit more low end.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #784 of 9,173
Dude, not everyone may agree with noobmachine but at least he has demo the TH600 and TH900 side by side and made the purchase right for him. Someone may find the comparison post useful

You on the other hand have written half a page on something you have never even smelt in the flesh. What are you even doing linking to citations. Think you need to take a step back and drink some coffee. There is a reason the posting guidelines ask members not to comment on something they never heard
cool.gif

Exactly rule one of Head Fi, if you have not heard it, don't go posting a review of making comparisons

The little differances are what make the biggest impact, and measurements are not a substitute for your ears

moving on CABLE LENGTH IS 3M YEA, let's hope some brave soul out there is willing to rewire that 8 Wire Cable, that's so assine of them to not include a freaking balanced cable, CMON GUYS a 4pin XLR is standard on so many TOTL amps, so stupid when sony makes a TOTL can but only configures it for their Amp/Dac -.- oh well chances are teh cable might sell by it self for a small price. Enough to pay for getting a whole new cable built -.- as most cable guys don't like re terminating existing stuff 

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #785 of 9,173
  Exactly rule one of Head Fi, if you have not heard it, don't go posting a review of making comparisons

The little differances are what make the biggest impact, and measurements are not a substitute for your ears

moving on CABLE LENGTH IS 3M YEA, let's hope some brave soul out there is willing to rewire that 8 Wire Cable, that's so assine of them to not include a freaking balanced cable, CMON GUYS a 4pin XLR is standard on so many TOTL amps, so stupid when sony makes a TOTL can but only configures it for their Amp/Dac -.- oh well chances are teh cable might sell by it self for a small price. Enough to pay for getting a whole new cable built -.- as most cable guys don't like re terminating existing stuff 

But if you want the PHA-3, like I do.......

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #787 of 9,173
Don't be an ass.

The TH900 is literally a more refined TH600. They use the same driver design with different tolerances between the two headphones. They also measure almost identically and there are plenty of people who attest to their similarities.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH600.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

The TH900 has slightly less overall distortion and more controlled treble, but that's about it. You get the general gist of the TH900 from the TH600, and if you like the 600, the 900 is a logical upgrade. I did not like the TH600. Ergo, the TH900 is not for me.

no need to get personal. just pointing out the simple truth that if you haven't heard the th900 for yourself then you can't really be certain about how it compares to the th600 sound wise. not having heard the th600 myself, i can't comment with any authority on how it compares to the th900 either. what i can say is that unlike your impression of the th600, the th900 has impressive soundstage and a surprisingly open sound for a closed can. that's a common impression from folks who have heard it. anyways back to the mdr-z7

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #788 of 9,173
Jesus christ... i hit the "jump to the first new post" expecting some news about the Z7 (just as a reminder, the new Sony headphones this thread is supposed to be about) and i have to read 3 full pages of completelly unrelated comparisons between other headphones...

Try to stay on topic please guys.

** Also, who the hell is Jude? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #789 of 9,173
  Jesus christ... i hit the "jump to the first new post" expecting some news about the Z7 (just as a reminder, the new Sony headphones this thread is supposed to be about) and i have to read 3 full pages of completelly unrelated comparisons between other headphones...

Try to stay on topic please guys.

** Also, who the hell is Jude? 
biggrin.gif

Amen, brotha. Too much BS. Anticipation, I suppose.

Jude was what Paul called Julian in "Hey Jude". Ha

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #791 of 9,173
Ok, so these will be Sony's new flagship headphone, but does that necessarily also make them TOTL given they're only $700?  I suppose that really depends on how the sound holds up vs other TOTL headphones.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #792 of 9,173
  Ok, so these will be Sony's new flagship headphone, but does that necessarily also make them TOTL given they're only $700?  I suppose that really depends on how the sound holds up vs other TOTL headphones.

They are currently Sony's most expensive headphones, so yes, they are TOTL. How the sound holds up has nothing to do with this.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #793 of 9,173
Well, wouldn't them being Sony's most expensive headphone make them flagship, not necessarily TOTL?  I would assume TOTL refers to the top end headphones in the market, not just for a brand, which I'd argue sound certainly is pertinent.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #794 of 9,173
  Well, wouldn't them being Sony's most expensive headphone make them flagship, not necessarily TOTL?  I would assume TOTL refers to the top end headphones in the market, not just for a brand, which I'd argue sound certainly is pertinent.

No, TOTL means "top of the line", meaning top of the respective manufacturer's lineup. It has nothing to do with other manufacturers or their headphones.

Flagship is a bit different. The HD600 was a flagship at one point, but it is no longer TOTL. The HD800 is now the flagship instead and it is also TOTL, but sennheiser has released better headphones before (the orpheus).

And then you get into larger companies (like Sony), who have several different headphone lines, and everything gets wonky. But generally speaking, TOTL only refers to the top dog of one particular manufacturer's headphone line(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back