Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 19, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #4,411 of 9,173
LOL ok maybe completely is a bit to overstated, let's just say different
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the biggest difference between two, is the Z7 sounds great on almost any amp, where the HD800 takes a lot of time, money, and a tonne research before getting them to sound the way you want, quite a few people on HD800 thread have built systems just for these cans.

The HD800 is an amazing phone and I understand why people go all out to get them just right.... However, personally I prefer to own a neutral system and let the phones bring the different signatures, so for my system I prefer the Z7, without taking nothing away form the HD800

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #4,412 of 9,173
Wow, look at all the love for the MDR-Z7s the last pages of this thread!
Well deserved :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,413 of 9,173
Wow, look at all the love for the MDR-Z7s the last pages of this thread!
Well deserved :)

It is my favourite headphone at the moment. Beats out the HD700 in most areas.

dL

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,415 of 9,173
  I think the biggest difference between two, is the Z7 sounds great on almost any amp, where the HD800 takes a lot of time, money, and a tonne research before getting them to sound the way you want, quite a few people on HD800 thread have built systems just for these cans.

The HD800 is an amazing phone and I understand why people go all out to get them just right.... However, personally I prefer to own a neutral system and let the phones bring the different signatures, so for my system I prefer the Z7, without taking nothing away form the HD800

Having both the HD800 & Z7, I certainly prefer the HD800 by a good amount given that I have the system that work well with the HD800.  On a side note, the HD800 will scale more with each upgrade.  Out of my GSX-MKII, the HD800 is beautiful sounding and couple of notches above the Z7 in the sound department IMO.  I personally don't have issues with the HD800 unless driving it out of a brighter sounding amps.  I would call the HD800 just a tad north of neutral while the Z7 is slightly dark of neutral.  Of course, you can't drive the HD800 worth a darn out of any portable source and most portable amps.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #4,417 of 9,173
  Having both the HD800 & Z7, I certainly prefer the HD800 by a good amount given that I have the system that work well with the HD800.  On a side note, the HD800 will scale more with each upgrade.  Out of my GSX-MKII, the HD800 is beautiful sounding and couple of notches above the Z7 in the sound department IMO.  I personally don't have issues with the HD800 unless driving it out of a brighter sounding amps.  I would call the HD800 just a tad north of neutral while the Z7 is slightly dark of neutral.  Of course, you can't drive the HD800 worth a darn out of any portable source and most portable amps.

I use the GS-X mk2 as well, but for myself I still say the HD800 lacks emotion, which is why I own HD650 and not HD800.  Many people really like the HD800-GSX combo and so do I in many ways, but prefer HD800 on a tube amp,  However I may feel different with a warmer source which maybe I should try

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #4,418 of 9,173
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #4,419 of 9,173

I had the same concern but the gauge of wire should be strong enough and the 3.5mm connectors appear to be good quality. Zazex took the plunge and says it's all very good quality. The Z7 really should have come with a shorter cable for the price, but I'd rather take a chance and spend $65 than $200+ on the kimber.

After a few days with these cables, I can only confirm my initial impressions.
In fact, I think even more highly of them now - particularly with respect to the
build quality.  I think they'll last a long time, even with the inevitable pulls and
twists that headphone cables experience.

One caveat - I bought the version with the "hard" coating, and they are indeed
somewhat microphonic as Surf indicated they would be.  So I've ordered the same
cables except with the "soft" coating.  I'll compare the two when the latter arrives,
and post in this thread.
'
Cheers.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #4,420 of 9,173

After a few days with these cables, I can only confirm my initial impressions.
In fact, I think even more highly of them now - particularly with respect to the
build quality.  I think they'll last a long time, even with the inevitable pulls and
twists that headphone cables experience.

One caveat - I bought the version with the "hard" coating, and they are indeed
somewhat microphonic as Surf indicated they would be.  So I've ordered the same
cables except with the "soft" coating.  I'll compare the two when the latter arrives,
and post in this thread.
'
Cheers.

I got the hard coating as well and mine already shipped.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #4,422 of 9,173
Same here.
They are so different that I ended up selling my LCD-X
tongue.gif

Wow, you prefer the sound of MDR-Z7 compared to LCD-X?
I love my Z7 too and they are getting better and better (not sure its actual burn in or my brain burned in?!).

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4,423 of 9,173
Wow, you prefer the sound of MDR-Z7 compared to LCD-X?
I love my Z7 too and they are getting better and better (not sure its actual burn in or my brain burned in?!).

Actually, the LCD-X will slaughter the Z7 for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper, except for comfort.
The reason I sold the X is I also own the HD800 and Z7.
To me, the sound signature of the X sits between the 800 and Z7 as the later 2 headphones sound signature are polar opposite of one another.
If I can only have 1 headphone, I will sell the HD800 and Z7, and keep the LCD-X.

But for what it is, the Z7 is a good headphone, more so since I bought mine for equivalent to US$560.
At the full retail price, kinda overpriced though

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #4,424 of 9,173
Actually, the LCD-X will slaughter the Z7 for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper, except for comfort.
The reason I sold the X is I also own the HD800 and Z7.
To me, the sound signature of the X sits between the 800 and Z7 as the later 2 headphones sound signature are polar opposite of one another.
If I can only have 1 headphone, I will sell the HD800 and Z7, and keep the LCD-X.

But for what it is, the Z7 is a good headphone, more so since I bought mine for equivalent to US$560.
At the full retail price, kinda overpriced though

Oic. Do u go for Kimber Kable upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back