Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,127 of 9,173
I believed Toxic Cable and Effect Audio are some of the authorised cable makers for Crystal Cable.
A simple 4-wire iem cable using Crystal Piccolino cable already cost > US$500 from Effect Audio

They are over price and recommend to DIY yourself.

Z7 is worth to use crystal cable, 4 wire is standard and 8 wire will be better.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,128 of 9,173
Yeah, everybody would prefer to get the amp for 1000$ instead of 350-450 $... :wink_face:

It's $799 if you buy it soon: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/woo-audio-wa7?s=woo%20audio

Besides, the Bifrost Uber + Lyr 2 is about $1000.

dL

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,130 of 9,173
Just ordered the z7. Is the kimber cable a must for these headphones? I will be driving it using my ak120ii dap.

Also there are different cable model numbers, e.g. MUC-B12SM1, etc. what are the differences?

Looking for your valuable advice.

It's been debated the past few pages of the thread so if you have time give it a read.

I'd start by listening to it stock and decide if you think it needs something.  It's not cheap to add $229 cables to a headphone that may not need it. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #4,131 of 9,173
Just ordered the z7. Is the kimber cable a must for these headphones? 

I got them (MUC-B20BL1) this morning and spent some quality time with them, still early but right out of the box, I found with the Kimber Kables what was missing for me e.g better transparency (that's the clear element that is improved there). I honestly don't think it's placebo, the difference is significant and I can't begin to explain why as I am no engineer and the whole cable thing is a hot debate. I had no opinion before I tried them and almost expected them to disappoint me given the price and all the debates about cable not making a difference. In this case, it does.

I will have several audiophiles I know try both cable blind just out of curiosity, when I get the chance.
For me it's worth the price... Still the advice to try out stock cable and see if the Z7 are a match to your ears is sound. I did make the jump from feedback here and the fact I felt something was missing in the Z7 that would make it exceptional. Happy to have found the extra thing that does it for me, doesn't mean it will for everybody.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,132 of 9,173
I'm not even curious about the Kimbers Kables...
All my previous reservations about the Z7s are gone, even doubting my last post about the "lack of texture with some recordings".
These are the best headphones I ever owned and one of the best I ever listened to.
I think it is time for me to stop posting evaluations in this thread and just enjoy them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #4,133 of 9,173
There are different cable model numbers, e.g. MUC-B12SM1, etc. what are the differences?

MUC-B12SM1 is a 1.2meter kimber cable with 3.5mm stereo mini jack, retails for $229, ideal for Walkmans/phones.

MUC-B20BL1 is a 2meter kimber cable with two separate 3.5mm mini jacks at both ends, retails for $249, ideal for Sonys pha3 and Pono player in balanced mode.

MUC-B30UM1 is a 3meter kimber cable with a 6.3mm stereo jack, retails for $249, ideal for use with a headphone amp/amplifier with headphone out.

I've seen them online for about $180, I'm interested in the 3m one.

They are made from
8wire Kimber brade, and each channel has 4brade wire, (2x positive, 2x negative) there is no sheild connected over the wire or to the 3rd pin of the jack.

As they are 4wire brade, I'm guessing they are Kimber hero/GQ (GyroQuadratic) variant. Or even 8tc based.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #4,134 of 9,173
All my previous reservations about the Z7s are gone, even doubting my last post about the "lack of texture with some recordings".
These are the best headphones I ever owned and one of the best I ever listened to.
I think it is time for me to stop posting evaluations in this thread and just enjoy them.

How many hours did you already spend with them? I am somewhere after "lack of texture with some recordings"... But I have been using them maybe 10h so far...

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,135 of 9,173
I own them for about two weeks now and have listened to them for about 5 hours a day. I didn't 'burn' them in with white noise or anything, just listened to them, to almost anything; movies, Youtube videos, Spotify.
So I have about 70 hours on them, maybe they'll even improve over time, but right now I am very satisfied :)

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,136 of 9,173

Sounds like your brain has been severely burned in by now. If you go back to your past headphones, I bet you'll feel they are too bright, too "abrasive". too "grainy", and lacking punch/impact.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,137 of 9,173
I did. Listened to the A900Xs yesterday and today and they aren't overly bright and that tiny amount of grain is easy to live with.
Tonally they don't differ that much, their soundstage is remarkably different though.
The Denons on the other hand are definitely brighter, but only so in their treble and I got used to them after 10 minutes or so.
For the record, I never found (and still don't) the Sony's to be dark sounding at all.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #4,139 of 9,173

I second that. This is the best headphone I have ever owned. I much prefer this sound signature over the HD700. The HD700 sounds very thin to me now.

dL

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #4,140 of 9,173
Someone tried this cable? http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v3-headphone-cable.html

Or compared to the cable with Kimber Kable?

Because I proved the kimber kable and not notice greater impruvement (there was much noise in the place that probe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back