Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,506 of 9,173
Well, that's what the dust filter is for. It's not just to filter dust but also acts as a diffuser. But due to the way the HD800 is designer, it still has significant reflection issues in the front of its diaphragm. This is potentially more problematic than reflections in the back.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,507 of 9,173
Absolutely love these headphones! Everything about this screams quality. Has a very industrial feeling and the lightness worries me, as I sometimes dont hold them with the right amount of force (if that makes any sense).
I maybe getting rid of my SA series of headphones since they are now collecting dust.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,508 of 9,173
  Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is... closed would actually decrease body.

Sorry, too roundabout, I guess. 
redface.gif

Adding body to a closed headphone is actually harder than it is for an open headphone with lots of air to move.

But then, a big part of that depends also on the tuning, the amp, and the DAC...

I only am hoping to control the vibrations of the cup itself.  I don't want to flirt with covering the top or bottom ports...

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,509 of 9,173
I got mine about two days ago while i was layover in Narita. Saw it in one of the DUTY FREE store. it was about $553 and 3% international fee on my visa card
beerchug.gif

I"m very interest on how you going to mod this beauty 
dt880smile.png

thanks

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,510 of 9,173
I would like to add some more impressions. 

I'm liking the treble. The highs of my HE-4 are a bit too hot for my tastes and can easily cause fatigue. The Z7 has a smooth, comfortable treble that still deliver excitement with my dance music. 

The mids...well I'm not an expert on mids. As far as vocals go, I prefer the Z7 to the HE-4. The HE-4 sounds a little off due to the elevated treble. The Z7 sounds more natural to me.

And the bass. People are criticizing the bass based off graphs but to me it sounds great. Nice punch and presence. I'm getting a certain fullness and body to the music that I was missing with the HE-4. With the HE-4 I had to crank up the volume to get the bass to shine but then the treble would be way to hot for me. I had to EQ it down. With the Z7 I'm getting a nice, thick low-end that allows the higher frequencies to dance on top. If there is one thing I would change about the bass, it would be to tune the midbass down just a smidge to let it be more balanced with the lower frequencies and to let the vocals shine a bit more. Maybe I'm still used to the HE-4's bass characteristics. 

Overall I'm digging the tonal balance, imaging, and presentation. Sometimes I'm getting that euphonic, "the sound is tickling my ears" feeling. I can feel the texture of the music. The 70mm drivers deliver a large image with great clarity and resolution. They actually keep up with my HE-4 in this regard (HE-4 still might win, though)! I always thought the HE-4 had excellent detail. Coming from the HE-4 I was afraid other headphones would sound a bit boring due to the HE-4's energetic sound signature but the Z7 has been making me happy. Others are saying the Z7 is relaxed, which I can see, but that might give the wrong impression as it sounds great with my dance music. Then again, I listen to more of a chillwave, indie, groovy dance sound. Think Daft Punk | Random Access Memories.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,511 of 9,173

Looks like that stock internal cable could use an upgrade too!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,512 of 9,173
Lol one thing I've always found interesting is when people upgrade cables and don't change the wiring from the interconnect to the driver and all the wiring in their amps to. So basically all they're doing is adding some "better" wire in between and if that makes an improvement then why not just make an interconnect coupler with silver in it or a wire crimp with silver

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,513 of 9,173
hi YO ALL

i got mine about two days ago. i been only using  the 3.5mm SE with my cellphone, so can't really judge the sweet cans. But i wonder  the

combination of      SONY MDR Z7  and PHA 3( won't be out till OCT 30)

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,514 of 9,173
Lol one thing I've always found interesting is when people upgrade cables and don't change the wiring from the interconnect to the driver and all the wiring in their amps to. So basically all they're doing is adding some "better" wire in between and if that makes an improvement then why not just make an interconnect coupler with silver in it or a wire crimp with silver

I think the point is that it doesn't actually make an improvement in these specific situations, and people saying it does in these situations are perfect examples of cognitive dissonance. I'm not trying to open up the huge cable debate can of worms here, but clearly if there is a bottleneck which is the interconnect wire between the cups which will degrade the "amazingly awesome signal" the $1,000 cables are providing, there can't really be a completely noticeable improvement. 

I always wondered the same thing. For headphones that only require one cup plugged (meaning there is an interconnect between the two drivers), why bother upgrading the cable if you're not going to upgrade the crappy stock wire inside the headband? 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #2,515 of 9,173

Because in some cases, there isn't enough room in the enclosure for some thicker strands of wires to be stuck inside.

Plus the effect does "stack" up.

I think the point is that it doesn't actually make an improvement in these specific situations, and people saying it does in these situations are perfect examples of cognitive dissonance. I'm not trying to open up the huge cable debate can of worms here, but clearly if there is a bottleneck which is the interconnect wire between the cups which will degrade the "amazingly awesome signal" the $1,000 cables are providing, there can't really be a completely noticeable improvement. 

I always wondered the same thing. For headphones that only require one cup plugged (meaning there is an interconnect between the two drivers), why bother upgrading the cable if you're not going to upgrade the crappy stock wire inside the headband? 

Scientifically, it would make a difference.

Any conductor in real life is an imperfect conductor, so it has semi-insulating properties as well, and in that case, it would have stray resistance, capacitance, and inductance, which adds up to the impedance of the headphone.

Now some argue that these stray reactance should be in a range where it does not and should not affect the overall properties of the headphone, and I'd say... they may be right, but would they affect the electrical rig they are plugged into? I'd argue... maybe.

The electrical components that we have are also not their perfect cases, so in some cases, these small differences may add up and cause them to shift their control characteristics ever so slightly, but just enough for there to be a shift, and then things start to sound different. Looking at the datasheets of some electrical components would easily reveal that they will start to distort, sound bad, or potentially act up with very small amount of something wrong to be in front of them. Because... again, they aren't perfect. That's why amps in real load conditions (when actually connected to headphones) may behave in a different manner as opposed to when they are measured with a dummy load (essentially a "perfect" headphone). And that's also why some amps are designed with high output impedance, because they may not be stable at lower output impedance, or they may introduce other types of issues into the audio band.

The cable itself may or may not make the difference (physically and scientifically, it does), but the electrical components (amp, DAC, DAP, etc...) driving the headphone may "react" to the cable, and that will account for the difference in sound.

I'd argue that the "difference" people hear is actually as a result of both, because without one, there can't be the other, and so on.

So to summarize, I think, and I do believe that: different cables have different physical properties that can be measured consistently. And sometimes these differences can cause the electrical system driving the headphone to produce something else... That's the objective look at things. Subjectively, I believe there is a very small difference that a cable can make to the sound of a headphone, which is not going to be noticeable depending on what you plug the headphone into, and even the headphone itself.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,516 of 9,173
Good post, Bill. On that note, lets leave cable discussion where it belongs and continue with the Z7s.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,517 of 9,173
I'd have to imagine that a cable would have to be frayed or oxidized for a test to show up any irregularities. Even cheap cables. . Measure them at both ends and I doubt there will be a difference. Also, if true then even the cable going from interconnect to driver would have to be perfect

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2,518 of 9,173
Well, I'd agree that we should leave all cable discussions out of the thread before we derail it any further.

But I'll leave the last note on that: the interconnect to driver doesn't have to be perfect because the effect does "stack", sort of like 1 + 1 = 2, since the circuit for that would be a serial circuit.

And yeah, that potentially means you can connect a special cable to your cheap cable via a coupler and then see if it'll make a difference to the sound before you proceed to solder the special cable in place of the cheap one.

But anyway, back to the regular program: Z7.

I couldn't resist, so I placed an order again. Hopefully, they won't make me wait another 2 weeks before my order is shipped, but... ah well, at least the price is better than what I paid PriceJapan last time.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #2,519 of 9,173
I've been reconsidering it too lol. But also thinking about getting hd600 and bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade to learn more about how amplifiers work. They have a sale right now including the speedball upgrade for only $20 extra.
Also the funds haven't been transferred into my card yet.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,520 of 9,173
Well, I haven't heard the Z7 yet, so I can't quite say.

But I did hear the HD600 + Bottlehead Crack setup.

And it kicks some serious bottom.

In fact, it was thanks to a good friend of mine (@CEE TEE) letting me borrow his HD600 + Crack setup that gave me hope in a potential full-size rig. I'd almost disregarded amps and DAC at the time, and he steered me back spectacularly!

My HE-560 exploration right now is more of a self-enlightenment quest than anything. If I had wanted to settle down, I'd have grabbed the Crack, mod its input capacitors, get an HD600, switch the cable, and then get a smooth, relaxing, dark DAC and call it a day. It's that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back