Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,357 of 9,173

Great job on the video, Amos.  Thank you..............you've now opened up a new world for us "tentative to screw around with a $700 headphone".  I'll be trying the Dynamat probably this weekend..............since I'm a Lawton mod fanboy, and have first hand heard the difference it made on a stock D7000, I can only think it will improve the bass.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with the bass performance to begin with. 

Thanks again.  When I do the mod I'll take photos.

Mark L has a new business opportunity................these cups in wood?  What say you, Mshenay? 

I say YAY, mine wallet says NAY <.< But yea this could be a very good opertunity for Him. I've not upgraded to a D7K yet, so if a modded Wood Back MDR Z7 could b a possible furture for me q.q

+1 cant w8 to see if those happen

like wise 

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,359 of 9,173
I haven't got an email confirmation from price Japan yet so probably going to cancel once I find something out where to get them for so cheap.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,360 of 9,173

Im in the market for a sub1000 hp. Could this model sound better than the hifiman he400i and the audeze 2 fazor?

anyone

No way are they better than the Audexe LCD 2F, unless you really like laid back HP's.  They aren't too bad for the $699 price, but compared to my Alpha Dogs and X Vibro, they are just no match in tone and musicality.  Mine are going back to Amazon as much as I tried to like them, just too much lacking in the vocals that the AD and Vibro have!

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,362 of 9,173
  It's in the video at the end from the 13 minute mark. Just remove the screws under the pads. The pads come off similar to how Denon/Fostex pads come off, but you have to remove a small screw at the bottom under the pads first.

Oh, so those 6 screws come out, and that releases the driver from the cup?  Got it...

I'm looking at thin sheets of self stick acoustic foam, maybe 1/4" (or 1/2"?) thick.  Is that the kind of thing you would put on the inside of the cup?

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,363 of 9,173
Cancelling order. I trust billp and he got a new 560 from hifiman that appears to be a revision and basically be a super hd600 with no flaws.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,364 of 9,173
When did you order?

Sorry for the late response. I was too busy getting the groove on with a newly replaced HE-560, which seems to have had some changes to improve its sound.

Anyway, I placed my order on Oct 10? I'm surprised you and DoctaCosmos haven't received your shipping confirmation yet.

Mine really did ship out on the 22 as PriceJapan promised.

But maybe it's because I mentioned I'd cancel my order so they escalated mine to an early batch?

Cancelling order. I trust billp and he got a new 560 from hifiman that appears to be a revision and basically be a super hd600 with no flaws.

Yes, sir.

The changes are super noticeable. I'm going to take the headphone in with me today and let people listen to it to make sure it's not just me, but I don't think so either.

Hifiman really did make some subtle changes to the enclosure of this one, and I'm almost inclined to say they sound almost like a different headphone now. Much more refined, less aggressive, less forward, and cleaner, spacious, and thick/full much like the HD600, but... somewhat better comfort and better bass.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,365 of 9,173
As much as it SUCKS just throwing PayPal 34 bucks to send money and then have it sent back, you just talked enough foreplay about that 560 that I can cancel my monthly subscription of testosterone supplement.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,367 of 9,173

Sorry for the late response. I was too busy getting the groove on with a newly replaced HE-560, which seems to have had some changes to improve its sound.

Anyway, I placed my order on Oct 10? I'm surprised you and DoctaCosmos haven't received your shipping confirmation yet.

But maybe it's because I mentioned I'd cancel my order so they escalated mine to an early batch?

Yes, sir.

The changes are super noticeable. I'm going to take the headphone in with me today and let people listen to it to make sure it's not just me, but I don't think so either.

Hifiman really did make some subtle changes to the enclosure of this one, and I'm almost inclined to say they sound almost like a different headphone now. Much more refined, less aggressive, less forward, and cleaner, spacious, and thick/full much like the HD600, but... somewhat better comfort and better bass.

so with those subtle changes how does it differ from the he 500?

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,369 of 9,173
As much as it SUCKS just throwing PayPal 34 bucks to send money and then have it sent back, you just talked enough foreplay about that 560 that I can cancel my monthly subscription of testosterone supplement.

Haha, I guess.

I swear I know the HE-560 well, as I have heard it prior to purchasing, and then I have owned it for a while before sending it to customer service.

I wanted to create a DIY amp that's slightly warm to tame its brightness down a notch or so.

But the new pair truly surprises me. The sonic improvements made my jaw drop. Songs that were previously piercing and flaring are now smooth and fluid. J-pop and K-pop are no longer offensive, but rather passive, gentlemanly.

I almost thought my ATH-ES10 was about the only headphone in the entire world that could handle k-pop and j-pop well enough for me to listen at higher volume, but that's no longer the case.

The Z7 has some tall tasks to accomplish now. If it ends up out of line compared to my giants (an uber-modded ES10 and this newly-improved HE-560), it'll most likely end up in the for-sale section.

so with those subtle changes how does it differ from the he 500?

I'd have to compare them again side-by-side to be honest.

But I'd guess... bigger soundstage, more spacious, less forward, and more refined in the treble range?

Even without the sonic improvements, the HE-560 is a lot more comfortable than the HE-500 already, which I think should be a big deal.

And the thing is... I don't think the changes are subtle at all.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,370 of 9,173

Yes, sir.

Damn now I REALLY need a PreProduction unit! As I like aggressive, forward lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back