Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 28, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,932 of 5,810
Hey Folks, I've been trying to buy a Sony MUC-M12SM2 cable without success. Two eBay sellers informed me, after I paid, that they weren't available. So that got me thinking, are there better options? I liked the idea of a Sony cable due to a generic MMCX spinning on the connector, but I can get a Sony-specific upgrade cable from Null-Audio as well. Any preferences on these? Pure silver, SPC, pure copper? I'm tired of trying to source the $150 Sony branded one!I am looking to NOT kill the bass.

-Collin-

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #3,933 of 5,810
Hey Folks, I've been trying to buy a Sony MUC-M12SM2 cable without success. Two eBay sellers informed me, after I paid, that they weren't available. So that got me thinking, are there better options? I liked the idea of a Sony cable due to a generic MMCX spinning on the connector, but I can get a Sony-specific upgrade cable from Null-Audio as well. Any preferences on these? Pure silver, SPC, pure copper? I'm tired of trying to source the $150 Sony branded one!I am looking to NOT kill the bass.

-Collin-

1) Do not buy MUC cables - they are of better construction in comparison with stock cables (<- those are the sort of demo cables of very bad quality in general), and they add 3-5% of better quality which is almost not audible at all...I owned it for ~9 months. After 2-3 months mini-jack brought trouble to left channel.I returned it to the shop under warranty, expertise showed that the problem was in the cable, so I got my money refunded. There are many stories with this cable like mine...
Sony makes money on their accessories...Do not fall into the trap.
2) I have tried SPC and Copper Litz. Both of them sounds better then Z5 sounds with MUC cable in balanced mode (so I auditioned both MUC cable balanced (with PHA-3) and unbalanced)... Some people here also very happy with pure silver (one currently was sold here). Aftermarket custom cable is the way to go to maximize efficiency of Z5 and make them pleasurable, finally...Also make sure you get sleeves - in my experience sleeves from T8ie are the bestest!!!
3) Try Norne Therium. Can't go wrong with that. It seems like it is the best copper on the market.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,937 of 5,810
I traded an MDR-EX1000 for my Z5 - I think I did good!

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,938 of 5,810
  1) Do not buy MUC cables - they are of better construction in comparison with stock cables (<- those are the sort of demo cables of very bad quality in general), and they add 3-5% of better quality which is almost not audible at all...I owned it for ~9 months. After 2-3 months mini-jack brought trouble to left channel.I returned it to the shop under warranty, expertise showed that the problem was in the cable, so I got my money refunded. There are many stories with this cable like mine...
Sony makes money on their accessories...Do not fall into the trap.
2) I have tried SPC and Copper Litz. Both of them sounds better then Z5 sounds with MUC cable in balanced mode (so I auditioned both MUC cable balanced (with PHA-3) and unbalanced)... Some people here also very happy with pure silver (one currently was sold here). Aftermarket custom cable is the way to go to maximize efficiency of Z5 and make them pleasurable, finally...Also make sure you get sleeves - in my experience sleeves from T8ie are the bestest!!!
3) Try Norne Therium. Can't go wrong with that. It seems like it is the best copper on the market.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I will look at the options you suggested. Thinking of perhaps a Null-Audio Vitesse silver in the Sony MMCX termination. 

May be here  http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-68108

Can't believe I forgot to check there, thank you! Great option if I go with this Sony cable. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #3,939 of 5,810
My Z5 days appear to over. I made the fatal mistake of deciding to hook back up the regular cable to use them with my phone and the left side shorted out. I then in desperation tried CLEOS fix using a pair of finely point tweezers on the post in the center and it broke off completely so I am done! The most beautiful sounding IEM killed by the STUPIDEST DESIGNED connection system ever to PLAGUE the IEM universe! My only hope now is to have them RESHELLED if that's even possible. So if anyone know of a reputable company that does that sort of thing please PM me. What a beautiful STUPID $700 waste!

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #3,940 of 5,810
  My Z5 days appear to over. I made the fatal mistake of deciding to hook back up the regular cable to use them with my phone and the left side shorted out. I then in desperation tried CLEOS fix using a pair of finely point tweezers on the post in the center and it broke off completely so I am done! The most beautiful sounding IEM killed by the STUPIDEST DESIGNED connection system ever to PLAGUE the IEM universe! My only hope now is to have them RESHELLED if that's even possible. So if anyone know of a reputable company that does that sort of thing please PM me. What a beautiful STUPID $700 waste!

​So i shall not change the cable to balanced or yes? only once and done? i am planning to go balanced on my WM1A via an adapter 4.4mm to dual 3.5mm females

which center post?

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,941 of 5,810

​So i shall not change the cable to balanced or yes? only once and done? i am planning to go balanced on my WM1A via an adapter 4.4mm to dual 3.5mm females

which center post?

you can change the cables as many times you want, just be careful not to break the connectors. I have both balanced/unbalanced upgraded cables but I don't switch too often. Better safe than sorry!!!

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #3,942 of 5,810
you can change the cables as many times you want, just be careful not to break the connectors. I have both balanced/unbalanced upgraded cables but I don't switch too often. Better safe than sorry!!!

Thanks, i havent lso not changed them since day one, probably i would change them to balanced only once as i get the special connector for WM1A

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,943 of 5,810
I assume you're talking about M12SB1. I ordered one earlier today to use with WM1Z. Pay attention to the grooves while changing cables. Don't twist and turn. It just pops out by pulling with a little force if I remember correctly. Good luck!

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,944 of 5,810
Well I have sent Null-Audio an email asking if they are able to reshell the Z5 into a CIEM. If anyone know of any other companies that does this type of work please chime in. I checked Inearz website but they say no hybrids or dynamics...

I imagine if you change the cable once you should be fine Gerelmx1986.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #3,945 of 5,810
So I got a fairly good deal on a used unit for $300 usd. The unit is like new like new. Initial impression. Basssss!!! Total opposite of my eq8 in sound signature. This is really easy to listen specially at moderately high volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back