Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,837 of 5,805
This is getting expensive in order to achieve better sound quality....

I mean the z5 already has such a high asking price.

How much does it cost to go balanced? I can't find that balanced cable anywhere.

I don't think I'm gonna bother, but just curious.

Yes, the balanced cable is included. The cost of the Pono + custom ear sleeves is cheaper than a lot of DAPs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,838 of 5,805
Anyone using the Z5 with Hifiman 802 or 901 with the balanced card? I know you need a splitter, but I can't find anyone who sells one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,839 of 5,805
I've got a question for the Z5 crew here.
I'm going to spend some $$$ on IEMs in the next few months, say $1000.
I've been collecting mid tier IEMs for 10 years or so, so this purchase is more
to add contrast to what I have, not as my only IEMs. I have my end game home
set ups and only use IEMs on the go (which I am a lot). I found I enjoy having 2-3
favorite mid tier IEMs with me on road trips as opposed to having 1 top tier. I have
as current favorites:
JH13
eQ-7
DN1000
SM3
ATH-CK10
TF10 custom and stock
Fidue A73
GR07

What I think I'd like to spend this year's money on is either:
FX1100 + XBA-Z5 -or- FX1100 + XBA-A3 + D2N2000J 

Opinions wanted on which option you go for (or even something
totally different). I'm posting here because obviously the question is about
the relative worth between the Z5 and A3. I've actually never heard any
Sony IEM's and am really interested in trying one after reading all the way
through a couple of these long threads.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,840 of 5,805
set ups and only use IEMs on the go (which I am a lot). I found I enjoy having 2-3
favorite mid tier IEMs with me on road trips as opposed to having 1 top tier. I have
as current favorites:
JH13
eQ-7
DN1000
SM3
ATH-CK10
TF10 custom and stock
Fidue A73
GR07

I will only discuss the Sony's as I have not heard any of the JVC's in the high end range. I own and love the Z5 because I love how the bass is portrayed. I find it detailed and powerful but not in a super hard hitting way. I also love the more forward slightly warm midrange and the sound stage and 3D imaging is the best I have heard of any IEM I have including the SM3 mentioned by you. I have not heard the A3 but have read it has a harder hitting bass and is more V shaped signature wise Which I accept as the truth. So base your decision on those contrasting differences in signature.

Another option to possibly think about if you want a bit less bass might he the A2 model. Unlike the older H2 model the A2 is a dual BA single dynamic hybrid versus the single BA in the H2. From what I have read the H2 may be the most balanced of the XBA hybrid line. It also is a lot less expensive than even the A3.

Finally I am using my Z5 with a Pono player using the included balanced cables from Sony. This combination absolutely being out the Z5 best qualities as the added channel separation and added wattage take the Z5 to its highest levels possibly only bested by using Sony's balanced DAC. This means I spent about $1000 combined on just my Z5 and the Pono and I have to live with the Pono's clunky design and shape.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,841 of 5,805
as current favorites:
JH13
eQ-7
DN1000
SM3
ATH-CK10
TF10 custom and stock
Fidue A73
GR07

I'm thinking of picking up the FX1100/1200 too. Great minds think alike!

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,842 of 5,805
It's been about 13 months w/ the Z5 for me...  I initially bought them thinking they'd be merely temporary as I shopped for "TOTL" IEMs.  I eventually got too busy to keep shopping, and the Z5 have simply worked for me.  It's a weird feeling to not have upgradeitis....even though the Z5 seem to be a bit hit & miss among the head-fi population.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,843 of 5,805
I will only discuss the Sony's as I have not heard any of the JVC's in the high end range. I own and love the Z5 because I love how the bass is portrayed. I find it detailed and powerful but not in a super hard hitting way. I also love the more forward slightly warm midrange and the sound stage and 3D imaging is the best I have heard of any IEM I have including the SM3 mentioned by you. I have not heard the A3 but have read it has a harder hitting bass and is more V shaped signature wise Which I accept as the truth. So base your decision on those contrasting differences in signature.

Another option to possibly think about if you want a bit less bass might he the A2 model. Unlike the older H2 model the A2 is a dual BA single dynamic hybrid versus the single BA in the H2. From what I have read the H2 may be the most balanced of the XBA hybrid line. It also is a lot less expensive than even the A3.

Finally I am using my Z5 with a Pono player using the included balanced cables from Sony. This combination absolutely being out the Z5 best qualities as the added channel separation and added wattage take the Z5 to its highest levels possibly only bested by using Sony's balanced DAC. This means I spent about $1000 combined on just my Z5 and the Pono and I have to live with the Pono's clunky design and shape.

I've read this whole thread (and a couple others) and I'm interested in some of the source discussions as well. I only use my HTC M8 or a Sansa Fuse with a Pico slim for my portable rig. I have good balanced desktop gear - GS-X mk2 and DIY dynalo Mk2 - and I think I'll spend some time with new IEMs on the home rig before I jump into a balanced portable. The Pono looks interesting.

I appreciate reading all the contributions in threads like this. I don't have any opportunity to listen to gear before purchase, so reading impressions is all I have to go. I used to get to some meets, but schedule doesn't cooperate with doing that for the last couple years.

What I'm looking for this time around is sampling IEMs with a moderate bass emphasis, I'm not looking for "neutral" or "reference" this time around. I think I'll pony up the $$ for the Z5, as it seems the most interesting to me compared to the A3. I have about a week before I place an Amazon order, so if anyone has more comments on A3 vs Z5, I'm all ears.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #2,844 of 5,805
  I've read this whole thread (and a couple others) and I'm interested in some of the source discussions as well. I only use my HTC M8 or a Sansa Fuse with a Pico slim for my portable rig. I have good balanced desktop gear - GS-X mk2 and DIY dynalo Mk2 - and I think I'll spend some time with new IEMs on the home rig before I jump into a balanced portable. The Pono looks interesting.

I appreciate reading all the contributions in threads like this. I don't have any opportunity to listen to gear before purchase, so reading impressions is all I have to go. I used to get to some meets, but schedule doesn't cooperate with doing that for the last couple years.

What I'm looking for this time around is sampling IEMs with a moderate bass emphasis, I'm not looking for "neutral" or "reference" this time around. I think I'll pony up the $$ for the Z5, as it seems the most interesting to me compared to the A3. I have about a week before I place an Amazon order, so if anyone has more comments on A3 vs Z5, I'm all ears.

Being an owner of both, get the Z5. Your wallet will thank you :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #2,845 of 5,805

Being an owner of both, get the Z5. Your wallet will thank you :)

Why would his wallet thank him for spending almost twice as much as the A3's for a very minuscule improvement in SQ, albeit a bigger improvement in materials. ( Magnesium vs Plastic )

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #2,846 of 5,805

Why would his wallet thank him for spending almost twice as much as the A3's for a very minuscule improvement in SQ, albeit a bigger improvement in materials. ( Magnesium vs Plastic )

I beg to differ.

The Z5 is perhaps the best value IEM I've come across. Especially now that you can get it for $539 brand new on amazon.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #2,847 of 5,805

I beg to differ.

The Z5 is perhaps the best value IEM I've come across. Especially now that you can get it for $539 brand new on amazon.

The Z5's are great, but have you actually listened to the A3? Besides being made of plastic ( Still very well made may I add ), it's almost identical sounding. Z5 has a little tighter base and a bit more subdued Treble. I have both but only because I got the Z5's for $450 brand new and $175 for A3's also brand new.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #2,848 of 5,805

The Z5's are great, but have you actually listened to the A3? Besides being made of plastic ( Still very well may I add ), it's almost identical sounding. Z5 has a little tighter base and a bit more subdued Treble. I have both but only because I got the Z5's for $450 brand new and $175 for A4's also brand new.

I've owned the A3 for over half a year, and I am one of the most active members on the A3 impressions thread. Trust me, I sang praises about the A3... I still do.

There is a caveat - the A3 doesn't quite match up to the Z5. If you listen carefully, you will find the Z5 actually has even better treble extension than the A3. Sure the Z5 is a darker sounding headphone overall but the details are more refined and harsh/brash edges of the A3 are smoothened out. The A3 is more grainy sounding in comparison. The much more coherent low-end response coupled with a more realistic/fuller treble section is what enables the Z5's to have a slight advantage in the soundstage department.

At this point it may seem like the Z5 is in a completely different league than the A3, which to my ears it is. Although I don't think the Z5 originally should have been 3x the price of the A3. That said, I wouldn't mind paying $500 for the A3. YMMV.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,849 of 5,805

I've owned the A3 for over half a year, and I am one of the most active members on the A3 impressions thread. Trust me, I sang praises about the A3... I still do.

There is a caveat - the A3 doesn't quite match up to the Z5. If you listen carefully, you will find the Z5 actually has even better treble extension than the A3. Sure the Z5 is a darker sounding headphone overall but the details are more refined and harsh/brash edges of the A3 are smoothened out. The A3 is more grainy sounding in comparison. The much more coherent low-end response coupled with a more realistic/fuller treble section is what enables the Z5's to have a slight advantage in the soundstage department.

At this point it may seem like the Z5 is in a completely different league than the A3, which to my ears it is. Although I don't think the Z5 originally should have been 3x the price of the A3. That said, I wouldn't mind paying $500 for the A3. YMMV.

They're both great no doubt. I use Z5's almost all the time, just saying if money is an issue, the A3 isn't a big step down. It's a poor man's Z5 so to speak.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,850 of 5,805
as current favorites:
JH13
eQ-7
DN1000
SM3
ATH-CK10
TF10 custom and stock
Fidue A73
GR07

You might want to consider dropping the bulk of you budget on the 64 Audio (formerly 1964Ears) U6 with the ADEL technology. A great IEM. Or at least give the ADEL a try with the lower priced U3 or U4 (the basshead model).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back