Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 11, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,231 of 5,805
I have learned that Joker has his own taste in bass, which is totally cool. He indicated to me before I bought the sd-2 that tonally they were like the hd650 which to mine ears maketh no sense 

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,233 of 5,805
My cable has generic MMCX connectors, so it fits but does not get locked in. I have bought some Sony connectors and am going to pay a friend to change my cable for me. Hopefully this will help ensure in don't have another connection failure. But I do know other people just use the generic MMCX cables as well.

Where did you get the Sony connectors? 

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,234 of 5,805
Off of ebay. I think I posted the seller in an earlier post.

Try this link http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221714090457&alt=web

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,236 of 5,805
Originally Posted by zaim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I ordered the Bluetooth cable in the end (Sony MUC-M1BT1), should arrive in a couple of days. Hopefully there won't be a substantial loss in quality. 

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the bluetooth cable!

I'm a little confused as to how it can power these properly though? I find the z5 nothing special at all coming from the HP out on iphone 6 or (haswell) macbook pro - not bad, but until they are amped, they just don't get anywhere close to the sound that they're capable of. I felt the same way about the H1's, really nothing to write home about until you put some power behind them.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,237 of 5,805
I order a set for my A3 also. should get it sometime next week. I'm hoping that the cans on the side are batteries. At least it would imply that there's enough power available to drive them in respectable level.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,238 of 5,805
The 4 hour play time of the Bluetooth cable makes me hesitant to buy that cable as I would not be willing to switch cables every time the battery died as I am not confident that the IEM would not start to short out from all the switching.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,239 of 5,805

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the bluetooth cable!

I'm a little confused as to how it can power these properly though? I find the z5 nothing special at all coming from the HP out on iphone 6 or (haswell) macbook pro - not bad, but until they are amped, they just don't get anywhere close to the sound that they're capable of. I felt the same way about the H1's, really nothing to write home about until you put some power behind them.

Yeah, will definitely report back and let everyone know what I think, regarding power your guess is as good as mine :p hopefully it'll be alright.

The 4 hour play time of the Bluetooth cable makes me hesitant to buy that cable as I would not be willing to switch cables every time the battery died as I am not confident that the IEM would not start to short out from all the switching.

Yeah its a shame it'll only last 4 hours to be honest, I probably use my earphones for about an hour and a half a day (to work and back) As long as I get two days use per charge it should be ok.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,240 of 5,805
I'm in the exact same situation, use my current NW1 bluetooth in-ear 2h30 a day and if the BT cable allows me to have 2 days of suse without charging, i'm good. I'll get my A3 on tuesday, will order the bluetooth cable later on.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on audio quality aim :)

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,242 of 5,805
  Are the Z5 mid recessed? aka V-shaped?? 

Not to my ears. I have/had a lot of v shaped iems and the z5 bring out mids in songs that I've never been able to hear before. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,243 of 5,805
ah good as I had a v-shaped iem last (stagediver SD-4) and I found I kept wanting to turn up the volume to get the mids. 
They were quite holographic though. But I heard that the z5 are too no? I was starting to think V shaped iems may give
a better soundstage? And I am basing that on absolutely no science hah

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,244 of 5,805
If i understand the term correctly (not that versed in the science myself either ha) the z5 are definitely holographic, with an intensely immersive 3d soundstage. I've fallen in love with it, but it might not be for everyone.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,245 of 5,805
Hey , yeah 3d soundstage is a bonus imo. I just want the better bass. 

Yeah I just hope they isolate well enough to use on the train. Would just be people speaking really and I sit in the quiet carraige so not such an issue. Not train clunking like on a metro 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back