Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 26, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #286 of 5,804
But A3 cost much more than H3. A3 is around $350, but H3 $175-240. So H3 must be best price/value.

Here in Singapore, the A3 is only about $20 more expensive than the H3. On the other hand, the Z5 is twice as expensive as the H3. Of the 3, I think I the most appealing is the A3.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #287 of 5,804

My $0.02...​

​
 ​
I listened to the XBA-A2 and XBA-A3 at the flagship Sony Store here. I didn't think very much of the XBA-A2; the bass was a little slow and muddy, while the mids weren't very clear, and dare I say a little distorted. However, I quite liked the XBA-A3 --- it's not neutral by any means, as it has decently powerful bass, but never did the bass ever feel overwhelming or encroaching into the mids. The midrange has good presence, and while it's not devoid of sibilance, it's not too bad. Okay, decent levels of airiness. I haven't listened to the XBA-H3 for months, but have been listening to the EX1000 at home lately, and if you held a gun to my head, I'd say that the XBA-A3 sounded better than the XBA-H3 --- less mid-bass thump and not as sub-bass thunder, but very enjoyable and fun in the low end, while possessing more clarity in the mids and highs. I still prefer the EX1000, though. Build quality isn't as terrible as I thought --- better than the XBA-H3, at least IMHO.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #288 of 5,804
Has anyone auditioned the XBA-A1? I wonder how different they are from the H1, which was nothing special.

Impedance is much lower, 24Ω (compared to 40Ω on the H1)
Silver-coated OFC Litz Wire
Linear drive Balanced Armature
Four-Conductor(??) Gold-plated plug

+ mic

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #290 of 5,804
Your impressions is very similar to my impressions with H3.
But after some time they sounded much, much better. Hope this is case with Z5 too. From bad start to hopefull future.
biggrin.gif

thats because ur brain adjusted to that
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #291 of 5,804
I think sony has to put in passive crossovers instead of mechanical ones,,,,,z5 seems to be getting lot of flak here
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #292 of 5,804
  I think sony has to put in passive crossovers instead of mechanical ones,,,,,z5 seems to be getting lot of flak here
tongue_smile.gif

The price could have something to do with that? The EX1000 is still highly regarded in Sony's stable of IEMs. If the Z5 is meant to supplant the EX1000 as top dog, it doesn't look like it's achieving this thus far.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #294 of 5,804
it wast that case.
i used them for a week and didnt liked it.
then i left it for two days on shelf and after that listened and H3 was amazing. Mistery.

buy another h3 to confirm,,u will realize its brain burn in.
I did not listen to my gr07 for a month and the sibilance returned after mysteriously disappearing after initial burn in period.

But it may be true in ur case,why not.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #296 of 5,804
Just received the Z5 from Amazon. It does come with the new goofy balanced cable (what's wrong with 3.5mm or 2.5mm balanced TRRS that I already have DAPs for???). The Z5 does NOT include size LL tips. Previous TOTL Sony IEMs (like the EX1000) include the LL tips (lilac color). I need this size for my left ear. Fortunately, I had the foresight to order 20 of them from Sony Parts.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #297 of 5,804
  Just received the Z5 from Amazon. It does come with the new goofy balanced cable (what's wrong with 3.5mm or 2.5mm balanced TRRS that I already have DAPs for???). The Z5 does NOT include size LL tips. Previous TOTL Sony IEMs (like the EX1000) include the LL tips (lilac color). I need this size for my left ear. Fortunately, I had the foresight to order 20 of them from Sony Parts.

impressions and comparisons pls.......................
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #298 of 5,804

It does come with the new goofy balanced cable (what's wrong with 3.5mm or 2.5mm balanced TRRS that I already have DAPs for???).

From the latest specs on the PONO DAP:
Th
The PonoPlayer includes two 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) audio output jacks which offer you four modes of operation:
1) personal listening mode via headphones or earbuds,
2) home stereo or in-car listening mode with fixed volume output,
3) PonoShare mode with two pairs of headphones/earbuds,

4) balanced mode provides ultra-performance for advanced users, separating left and right channel outputs across the two jacks.

I hope that the PONO balanced mode works with the Z5 balanced cable. I'll let you know in a few weeks, when I receive mine.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #299 of 5,804

From the latest specs on the PONO DAP:
Th
The PonoPlayer includes two 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) audio output jacks which offer you four modes of operation:
1) personal listening mode via headphones or earbuds,
2) home stereo or in-car listening mode with fixed volume output,
3) PonoShare mode with two pairs of headphones/earbuds,

4) balanced mode provides ultra-performance for advanced users, separating left and right channel outputs across the two jacks.

I hope that the PONO balanced mode works with the Z5 balanced cable. I'll let you know in a few weeks, when I receive mine.

is pono using sabre??

and if yes,,is it ess 9018 or 9018m??

i meant 8 channel vs 2 channel?

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #300 of 5,804

The price could have something to do with that? The EX1000 is still highly regarded in Sony's stable of IEMs. If the Z5 is meant to supplant the EX1000 as top dog, it doesn't look like it's achieving this thus far.

dunu1000 costing 1/3 of z5 has passive crossovers,,practically most of good multidriver iem's have those,its sony thats attempting something different here it seems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back