Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #16 of 601
Doesn't mean a whole lot unless you rips SACDs, which is a niche in an already really niche market.  If you want to know more, go read up on the AK120 or VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon threads or just search for SACD ripping and DSD.

Ah now I understand. I love your "niche in an already really niche market". Now I know it's not for me.

I was considering the PHA-1 but opted for the ADL X1 instead. With Sony's record I knew they'd have a PHA-2, PHA-3, PHA-4 within a two year period.

Thanks again.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 601
Very true shingzeo, it is just like people want to rip CDs into 24/192 FLAC or "up convert" from lossy to lossless compression.  I was decently active over the now dead minidiscussion forum so I know all that.  Too bad that Hi-MD came out too little too late.  However, with Sony and some others pushing 4K TVs, it is not difficult to imagine they will try to push some kind of high res audio format along with it, and DSD may just be the thing.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #18 of 601
Shigzeo, yes I do read Ohm too. Just that TOUCHMYAPPS was unique. Audio and all things Apple apps.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 601
Yes, but I couldn't keep up with it and my other work. I'm sorry. I loved it and it was heaps of fun, but I was going to bed 2-3AM pretty much every other day and leaving for work early. Too much too much. Thank you again for the kind words. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 601
  I hope battery will last more than the PHA-1.

The specs of the battery life are in the page itself.

Analogue input would be approx. 17hours whereas iDevices digital input would be approx. 6.5hours. Still very low in my opinion and doesn't come close to what Cypher Labs is doing with their upcoming Theorem 720.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #28 of 601
DSD is really overkill for a portable unit. I mean, how many people have music that's recorded in such high resolution? How many people can actually hear the difference? Then there's a matter of having a DSD capable DAP, and the huge file sizes which would require storage space that's unrealistic on a portable device.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #29 of 601
DSD is really overkill for a portable unit. I mean, how many people have music that's recorded in such high resolution? How many people can actually hear the difference? Then there's a matter of having a DSD capable DAP, and the huge file sizes which would require storage space that's unrealistic on a portable device.

Maybe Sony plans something in the background. Some DAP, that is capable of such high resolution. Sony is recently releasing much audiophile stuff.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #30 of 601
Maybe Sony plans something in the background. Some DAP, that is capable of such high resolution. Sony is recently releasing much audiophile stuff.

That's what I have said before.  They are pushing 4K TVs and contents hard, so push on HD music like 24/192 FLAC or DSD is not out of realm of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back