Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 26, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #9,076 of 9,652
Silver cable is the way to go, you will not believe the change.

I have personally heard differences with cables, so I don't doubt that. Although I will say in my experience with modding headphones, pad rolling tends to produce the most significant changes sonically.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #9,077 of 9,652
I just acquired an MDR-Z1R and frankly found the sound to be mediocre. Soundstage certainly deserves special mention, and the bass has a pleasantly thick, voluminous, meaty character. Two main quibbles: overblown bass that permeates the rest of the frequency spectrum and recessed, jagged treble.

My initial suspicion was that the stock pads were the limiting factor. I found that if I pressed the pads against my head to bring them closer to my ears, the bass would be brought down, and the treble brought forward. My understanding from the ZMF pads guide was that thicker pads tend to create a more uneven, V-shaped response, whereas flatter pads result in a smoother, more linear response.

With this in mind, I swapped the stock pads for a pair of ZMF BE2 Lambskins. Sure enough, this evened out the tonal response very nicely. Bass is much better controlled and defined than stock, and treble is much smoother, with greater presence, extension, and detail.

Still, I felt the Z1R was a tad dark and bass heavy for my tastes, so I took things a step further, and damped the cups with cotton wool. Now we have a winner. Compared to stock, the modded Z1R is significantly--if not dramatically--improved in terms of clarity, transparency, separation, detail retrieval, and linearity.

For context, other closed back cans I've owned include the Lawton Level 1 Fostex TH900 MK2, Klipsch HP-3, and Beyerdynamic T5p G2. I currently have the ZMF Auteur Classic, Sennheiser HD 800 S and Neumann NDH 30 on hand, and perhaps the best praise I can give the modded Z1R is that I would readily choose them over all the cans listed above.
How is the soundstage affected? Given the faxt you altered the air chamber with wool

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #9,078 of 9,652
How is the soundstage affected? Given the faxt you altered the air chamber with wool

Soundstage remains unaffected as far as I can tell. As a testament to how well the modded Z1R stages and images, I stream via Apple Music and have caught myself on multiple occasions now mistaking a track for a Dolby Atmos version.

So far I've ran the Z1R from an iFi ZEN CAN, Lake People G111, and a Jotunheim 2, and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well they scale.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #9,079 of 9,652
Jun 26, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #9,080 of 9,652
IMG_3157.jpeg

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #9,081 of 9,652
I should be able to add some brief impressions next week when my AC arrives.

Eagerly awaiting the updates :D. Altho im sure you are eagerly awaiting the ACs more ahahaha

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #9,082 of 9,652
I just acquired an MDR-Z1R and frankly found the sound to be mediocre. Soundstage certainly deserves special mention, and the bass has a pleasantly thick, voluminous, meaty character. Two main quibbles: overblown bass that permeates the rest of the frequency spectrum and recessed, jagged treble.

My initial suspicion was that the stock pads were the limiting factor. I found that if I pressed the pads against my head to bring them closer to my ears, the bass would be brought down, and the treble brought forward. My understanding from the ZMF pads guide was that thicker pads tend to create a more uneven, V-shaped response, whereas flatter pads result in a smoother, more linear response.

With this in mind, I swapped the stock pads for a pair of ZMF BE2 Lambskins. Sure enough, this evened out the tonal response very nicely. Bass is much better controlled and defined than stock, and treble is much smoother, with greater presence, extension, and detail.

Still, I felt the Z1R was a tad dark and bass heavy for my tastes, so I took things a step further, and damped the cups with cotton wool. Now we have a winner. Compared to stock, the modded Z1R is significantly--if not dramatically--improved in terms of clarity, transparency, separation, detail retrieval, and linearity.

For context, other closed back cans I've owned include the Lawton Level 1 Fostex TH900 MK2, Klipsch HP-3, and Beyerdynamic T5p G2. I currently have the ZMF Auteur Classic, Sennheiser HD 800 S and Neumann NDH 30 on hand, and perhaps the best praise I can give the modded Z1R is that I would readily choose them over all the cans listed above.

IMG_1159 Edited.jpeg
I never liked the sound of my Z1R via schiit products, I think a sony amp/dac combo is a must for the Z1R.

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #9,085 of 9,652
I prefer copper. Silver cable seems to take away Z1R dark sound signature which I love.
I also much prefer silver had the Kimber Axios CU but like the Lavri Grand more

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #9,086 of 9,652
I prefer copper. Silver cable seems to take away Z1R dark sound signature which I love.
I prefer silver. I have the Kinber AXIOS Cu but prefer the DHC Prion4. I also just got the DHC Complement C for my LCD-X (huge improvement) but haven't had a chance to try it on the Z1R.

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #9,087 of 9,652
I prefer brass wire with the Z1R. Even better is a blend of brass and solder that is drawn slowly together in very fine increments. Opens the soundstage right up, removes excess flab in the bass and the highs go right up to the stratosphere.

If you’re on the right mushrooms.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #9,089 of 9,652
Even better is a blend of brass and solder that is drawn slowly together in very fine increments.
but it is critical to use the right blender with the right knife size and cutting speed, which results in the optimal “fine increments”.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #9,090 of 9,652
My main reason for re-purchasing the Z1R was for movies, but I'm making an effort to appreciate them more with music as a different experience to the IER-Z1R. As wide and varied as my music is, 'dance' music has never really been my thing, but I've come to realise that drum & bass is the most exhilarating, energizing music for me. Being 50 and an early riser the club scene clashes with my lifestyle, I haven't attended an event since the late 90's - the MDR-Z1R's 70mm drivers driven by the iFi Gryphon, with a boost from the XBass function is giving me the next best thing.

20230702_235321.jpg

20230702_235417.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back