Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #8,161 of 9,746
I've always lusted after the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R, and was recently fortunate enough to pick up both. I'm mostly and IEM guy, but holy cow I'm loving the MDR. Goosebumps.
Welcome to the club! I'm also an IEM guy but got both in December and wouldn't want to be without either now. Next step is to add MDR's soulmate (Tazzy), and if I like the synergy, then maybe a WM1Z too. At that point I'll probably retire from 'the chase' and sail off into the sunset... 😁

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #8,162 of 9,746
Got rid of the RME ADI-2 DAC as it’s lifeless with the MDR-Z1R, and placed an order for a brand new SPL Phonitor XE + 768 DAC. The Z1R simply goes to another dimension with this amp! But it will be a 4 week wait!

Anyways, in the meantime I purchased the iFi Zen Stream and I have to say it’s a brilliant sounding transport. I use it in the Roon exclusive mode and have it powered by a battery. My only DAC/amp at this point in time is the WM1A (DAC mode). What I noticed though is that the little iFi Zen Stream + WM1A in DAC mode combo sounds noticeable better than the WM1A as a DAP only. Only goes to confirm the importance of the source.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #8,163 of 9,746
To me they certainly share the same sound profile but they are not identical. If I could only have one of them it would be the IER but I would not like to do without the MDR
Same for me, I just love the build. Comfort and construction of the MDR more, on sound I prefer the IER a tad more, it's free-er and faster, it fits more genre than the MDR is. While I can swap between the MDR Z1R and my T1 for completely different listening experience, I don't feel the need to with the IER. It actually managed to become a "King" for everything. Making basically all my other IEMs serving as spares.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #8,164 of 9,746
To me they certainly share the same sound profile but they are not identical. If I could only have one of them it would be the IER but I would not like to do without the MDR
Same for me, I just love the build. Comfort and construction of the MDR more, on sound I prefer the IER a tad more, it's free-er and faster, it fits more genre than the MDR is. While I can swap between the MDR Z1R and my T1 for completely different listening experience, I don't feel the need to with the IER. It actually managed to become a "King" for everything. Making basically all my other IEMs serving as spares.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #8,165 of 9,746
I used to feel that way about the IER-Z1R. It means you are acclimatized to it. But that “love” may change to where you again let others in? I agree though, the mids are a little more well-rounded than the MDR.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #8,166 of 9,746
I've always lusted after the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R, and was recently fortunate enough to pick up both. I'm mostly and IEM guy, but holy cow I'm loving the MDR. Goosebumps.
Personally, it has always been a different experience using IEMs vis-à-vis headphones. IEMs are brilliant in their own way, and they are certainly the portable champs in the audiophile realm. With that being said, headphones provide a visceral response that you don't always get with earphones. It just feels grander, larger, and (far) more immersive than IEMs. This is how I felt, too, with the MDR-Z1R and the IER-Z1R.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #8,167 of 9,746
Personally, it has always been a different experience using IEMs vis-à-vis headphones. IEMs are brilliant in their own way, and they are certainly the portable champs in the audiophile realm. With that being said, headphones provide a visceral response that you don't always get with earphones. It just feels grander, larger, and (far) more immersive than IEMs. This is how I felt, too, with the MDR-Z1R and the IER-Z1R.
Totally agree. I use IER when travelling and MDR at home

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #8,169 of 9,746
Pretty gooe th obbing bass
image.jpg

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #8,170 of 9,746
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #8,171 of 9,746
My gosh, I have the Sony WM1Z in the Cradle playing 44.1 kHz-24 bit, going AudioQuest Carbon USB to the back of the TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp. The power cord: Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord. The front has the Sony MDR-Z1R hooked up to the (MUC-B20SB1) Kimber cable. My reference system........nothing better! The best I’ve heard in my experience?

Interesting they always talk about headphone placement being critical? How they do slightly change when moved around my head, still there is no big deal if moved forward or back. Maybe it’s more of an issue with other headphones?

This is all so natural and organic, I wouldn’t change a thing!

While bass definition is better with the Sony IER-Z1R, the midrange is amazing! Also the treble imaging is something else. I’m listening to music with a lot of whispers and vocal effects to that style. The detail is the best!

Really it’s apples and oranges to compare an IEM to full-size.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #8,173 of 9,746
I also happily joined the club!

I have been going through this thread from the beginning, and not nearly halfway through, but I was wondering if there was some sort of consensus about cable upgrade?

I have seen some people swearing by all copper (whether axios or not), while quite some other seem to have silver ones.

Any advice or recommendation would be welcome, for a cable to push the Z1R a bit further without adulterating its signature. Thanks!

Edit: for now I am using it exclusively on a WM1Z but am considering a TA-ZH1ES in the near future

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #8,174 of 9,746
I also happily joined the club!

I have been going through this thread from the beginning, and not nearly halfway through, but I was wondering if there was some sort of consensus about cable upgrade?

I have seen some people swearing by all copper (whether axios or not), while quite some other seem to have silver ones.

Any advice or recommendation would be welcome, for a cable to push the Z1R a bit further without adulterating its signature. Thanks!

Edit: for now I am using it exclusively on a WM1Z but am considering a TA-ZH1ES in the near future
Do copper. All silver would accentuate the harsh treble in string instruments in orchestral music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back