Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #6,376 of 9,746
These babies are back into my headphones rotation and wow, I forgot how wide and deep they are for a closed back. I keep checking over my shoulders. :beyersmile:

Tidal is going through many genres, even ones that I don't listen to, but I can't reach for the skip track button as these are soooo good!

20210105_195125[1136].jpg

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #6,377 of 9,746
These babies are back into my headphones rotation and wow, I forgot how wide and deep they are for a closed back. I keep checking over my shoulders. :beyersmile:

Tidal is going through many genres, even ones that I don't listen to, but I can't reach for the skip track button as these are soooo good!

Some days ago, I watched "Soul" film in Disney Plus and loved it, the jazz music (and the intimate relation that the film has with the music world) and the message the film left to me (something that I daily do :relaxed: )

I see in your signature that you have a lot of TOTLs, amazing that you find time for the Z1R and enjoy them :L3000: (like everybody knows, each headphones have their own signature and that's the wonderfull of this hobby).

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #6,378 of 9,746
Some days ago, I watched "Soul" film in Disney Plus and loved it, the jazz music (and the intimate relation that the film has with the music world) and the message the film left to me (something that I daily do :relaxed: )

I see in your signature that you have a lot of TOTLs, amazing that you find time for the Z1R and enjoy them :L3000: (like everybody knows, each headphones have their own signature and that's the wonderfull of this hobby).

Awesome, and I totally agree! :beyersmile::thumbsup:

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #6,379 of 9,746
I've been using Zynsonix cables on most of my headphones for a little while now and they work great.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #6,380 of 9,746
Just placed my order. Finally achieved WAF. Going to be selling my MDR-Z7.

Do most of you keep yours in the leather box, or do you use some other storage solution?

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #6,381 of 9,746

Do most of you keep yours in the leather box, or do you use some other storage solution?

I keep the box stored away.

But I use these cool Geekria foam padded cases from Amazon for all of my headsets. :)

20210106_102142[1147].jpg

20210106_102207[1148].jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #6,383 of 9,746
I just have mine hanging on a hook by the bed which is where I use them

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #6,384 of 9,746
Mine stay inside their original box then inside a Pelican case with a moisture absorber........all due to the humidity here. Listening today, still smells new?

A81B68B8-1CE3-4F68-8D0C-6B5DEE838FE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #6,385 of 9,746

Just like the rest of my headphones, after use, I return the MDR-Z1R to is original box.

It's a little tedious, but I do what I can to protect the headphones from external dangers.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6,386 of 9,746
I am planning on using the included storage case, as I have an end table in my living room that is just the right size for storage at night.

I purchased new. What is the opinion here on "burn in?" Any advice on caring for the leather cushions?

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6,387 of 9,746
If I end up procuring these headphones, I will probably go with lqi cables
If you still own the WM1A you should end up procuring the Z1R, trust me. And no cable upgrade is required, the stock Pentacon cable is just fine. But that is just my opinion. Z1r/WM1A is a match made in heaven to me. Full stop.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #6,388 of 9,746
If you still own the WM1A you should end up procuring the Z1R, trust me. And no cable upgrade is required, the stock Pentacon cable is just fine. But that is just my opinion. Z1r/WM1A is a match made in heaven to me. Full stop.

I still own it and will never get rid of it

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #6,389 of 9,746

I agree. Just wish there was an easy, reasonably priced, official channel through which a replacement stock cable could be bought. (Not to mention pads.) I want to keep my Z1R in service a long time. Just ridiculous that Sony doesn't have an online store for OEM replacement 'soft' parts. I'm probably going to end up buying the Sony/Kimber MUC-B20SB1 and put the original in storage just so I have a backup. I have friends in Japan so at least I can buy on Rakuten and not get gouged by US sellers.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #6,390 of 9,746
I agree. Just wish there was an easy, reasonably priced, official channel through which a replacement stock cable could be bought. (Not to mention pads.) I want to keep my Z1R in service a long time. Just ridiculous that Sony doesn't have an online store for OEM replacement 'soft' parts. I'm probably going to end up buying the Sony/Kimber MUC-B20SB1 and put the original in storage just so I have a backup. I have friends in Japan so at least I can buy on Rakuten and not get gouged by US sellers.
Kimber is a good option, you won't want to listen to stock again, although silver is the only way to go with these headphones. No they do not sound bright or harsh, they simply extract more of everything in a cohesive whole, soundstage is beyond belief. If i had to put a figure on it, i estimate stock is only allowing 75% of potential in comparison IMHO, but either way they are supreme to listen to and loose yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back