Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #6,091 of 9,726
The combo of my A50s amp and my Mimby have really opened up the sound of the Z1R in a very good way. I feel like the mids come through better now which is a huge plus as that's the one area that was starting to disappoint me about the headphone. I do wish they had a little more clarity overall but I knew going in that wasn't what this headphone was about and I do love the bass and soundstage which would be impressive even if it were an open back headphone.
This was vs what original setup?
I've been running mine with a Schiit Modi/Heresy stack and I have a Topping A90 I haven't decided if I'm going to try or return. Knowing you're liking the A50 is promising though but curious what you used prior.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #6,094 of 9,726
Which of the Dekoni pads for the Z1R did you get ?
- Elite Velour
- Elite Hybrid
- Elite Sheepskin
- Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin
I am not sure, I just asked them for a review, the packet weights 2Lbs

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #6,095 of 9,726
I do wish they had a little more clarity overall but I knew going in that wasn't what this headphone was about and I do love the bass and soundstage
Well i have to disagree here, but it's up to you whether you believe the rest of you gear (Dac mainly, imo , not really a believer in high end amps ) is "audibly transparent" or "as good as it gets, everything else more expensive is just snake oil" and it's the Z1R that are the limiting factor and go for more popular headphones in the hopes of addressing this issue, or are willing to try some higher end gear with them.
There's an easy way to test here though (usually, not in these times unfortunately ) : just go to a hi-fi store with your gear and plug the Z1R into a Dcs Bartok or a Chord Dave and compare. They are expensive, but there are discounts and it's a good frame of reference as you go down the line and test the "usual suspects" in each price category. That's what i did with my TA-ZH1ES, thinking it can't possibly get any better than that.
By your signature it seems like you enjoy having a collection, I personally would rather have one piece of gear instead of switching stuff up all the time, but different strokes for different folks.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #6,096 of 9,726
Well i have to disagree here, but it's up to you whether you believe the rest of you gear (Dac mainly, imo , not really a believer in high end amps ) is "audibly transparent" or "as good as it gets, everything else more expensive is just snake oil" and it's the Z1R that are the limiting factor and go for more popular headphones in the hopes of addressing this issue, or are willing to try some higher end gear with them.
There's an easy way to test here though (usually, not in these times unfortunately ) : just go to a hi-fi store with your gear and plug the Z1R into a Dcs Bartok or a Chord Dave and compare. They are expensive, but there are discounts and it's a good frame of reference as you go down the line and test the "usual suspects" in each price category. That's what i did with my TA-ZH1ES, thinking it can't possibly get any better than that.
By your signature it seems like you enjoy having a collection, I personally would rather have one piece of gear instead of switching stuff up all the time, but different strokes for different folks.
How much did cost your lavricables Grand? I have a new Z7 and in the future I plan to try the kimber (copper) and also a silver cable (because you and another forum member are enjoying a lot the Z1R with silver).

I like very much the Sony Z7 in typical audiophile genres (jazz, classical and OSTs) but can't enjoy them in metal or classic rock. I plan to change my DAC in near future (now I have an Asus Xonar Essence One) and also the cable, like I said above. If those things make a better Z7 I will plan to pull the trigger to a Z1R (that's why I'm here in this thread :smile:)

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #6,097 of 9,726
Great Combination with Sony/Kimber cable MUC-B20BL1 and TA.ZH1ES..Awesome

IMG_20201111_115903.jpgIMG_20201111_120451.jpgIMG_20201111_120442.jpgIMG_20201111_115918.jpg

Best

Sisco

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #6,098 of 9,726
How much did cost your lavricables Grand? I have a new Z7 and in the future I plan to try the kimber (copper) and also a silver cable (because you and another forum member are enjoying a lot the Z1R with silver).

I like very much the Sony Z7 in typical audiophile genres (jazz, classical and OSTs) but can't enjoy them in metal or classic rock. I plan to change my DAC in near future (now I have an Asus Xonar Essence One) and also the cable, like I said above. If those things make a better Z7 I will plan to pull the trigger to a Z1R (that's why I'm here in this thread :smile:)
Around 200 euros from a forum member that sold his Z1R. It does have a problem with the right connector though (not sure if it's a fabrication defect) so i have to send it in for replacement. That'll probably be around another 100 euros or so. Me and said forum member are both selling our Kimbers if you're interested. But i would only look at cables for improvement after electronics and the headphone upgrade, they're by far the worst bang for buck.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #6,099 of 9,726
Well I went ahead and ordered the iFi Neo and I'll be curious to know if it will work well with the Z1R like the Hip Dac does. I really enjoy how iFi incorporates the Burr Brown dacs they use and I've always been a fan of those dacs. The 1w at 32ohm should be enough power for most of my hp's and if not I'll use the Neo as a dac only. When I get it I'll definitely post what the Z1R sounds like with the Neo.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #6,101 of 9,726
Well I went ahead and ordered the iFi Neo and I'll be curious to know if it will work well with the Z1R like the Hip Dac does. I really enjoy how iFi incorporates the Burr Brown dacs they use and I've always been a fan of those dacs. The 1w at 32ohm should be enough power for most of my hp's and if not I'll use the Neo as a dac only. When I get it I'll definitely post what the Z1R sounds like with the Neo.

Thanks! Something tells me that you'll be very happy :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #6,102 of 9,726
Best closed back headphone for you ?
I have same setup but find the Kimber cable unbearably microphonic. Other than that the system is Ace.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #6,103 of 9,726
Best closed back headphone for you ?

I combine it with the Fostex TH900 mk2.

The Sony are more relaxed and I really like their musical profile, no hearing fatigue and they are the most comfortable.

The Fostex are more dynamic, with more impact ... more fun.

I really like how the two complement each other

Best Regards

Sisco

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #6,104 of 9,726
When putting pads back on, the cup and the pad ring-assy (the part that @kefs 3D scanned and made some 3D printer files) have color-matched dots . And they must be aligned when locking. But how or which direction must I twist?

I tried and tried but they came loose, finally gave up and gave them to my husband and he managed to put them 😳 and he told me ... days later to dekoni audio, "sorry guys, I couldn't teat your pads because I couldn't figure out how to put them on my headphones... unbelievable"

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #6,105 of 9,726
When putting pads back on, the cup and the pad ring-assy (the part that @kefs 3D scanned and made some 3D printer files) have color-matched dots . And they must be aligned when locking. But how or which direction must I twist?

I tried and tried but they came loose, finally gave up and gave them to my husband and he managed to put them 😳 and he told me ... days later to dekoni audio, "sorry guys, I couldn't teat your pads because I couldn't figure out how to put them on my headphones... unbelievable"
Clockwise

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back