Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #6,062 of 9,686
I need to hear the Z1R. It may sound like the perfect headphone for me, especially as it is much lighter the Master 1.
While opinions are split on sound signature, comfort is universally seen as one of the best on any totl headphone, i'm not sure what's even close besides the Empyreans.

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #6,063 of 9,686
While opinions are split on sound signature, comfort is universally seen as one of the best on any totl headphone, i'm not sure what's even close besides the Empyreans.
You got that right, on both points. The MDR-Z1R's sound is divisive; it appears that the camps are usually split along the spectral ends - either you love it, or you don't. We all know where we stand on this issue. :wink:

On the topic of comfort, yes, definitely. The MDR-Z1R remains one of the most comfortable headphones around.

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #6,064 of 9,686
Yeah, from the short time I've had them I can tell you it's one of my more comfortable headphones. I thought with the pads being leather my ears might get hot but so far it hasn't been a problem, we'll see if that changes next summer when it's crazy humid where I live.

On the sound front I can see why there are people that wouldn't like them. They have a unique signature that's not very balanced or natural but what it is is a whole lot of fun for people like us. 😁

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #6,065 of 9,686
I was really excited to find this setup at my local Sony store in Thailand.

37bac559438eaffaeb5b678bb0f0898e.jpg
64a6ba6199f4092b92e3b5b141e5aadc.jpg
cdff17f294bccc4ffaf61fa99ce65ead.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
That’s my gears. But I lost my ****ing ier z1r. ****kkkkkkkkk. That’s why I stop touching any of my for a year and a half. Today I just back to them. Oh man. I love them !!! I love my mdr -z1r more than my focal utopia !!! For real !!!!

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #6,066 of 9,686
Impression: Effortless presentation of details in almost everything. Especially movies, electronic music and soul, blues and older rock. The best way to describe them is really the word enjoyable (95% of the time).

Contra: Not so good for very complicated and fast instrumentations like Peter Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Opus 20, II Valve by Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan I also dislike some presentation of guitar heavy metal. Some tracks are unexpected good (Womack & Womack - Teardrops) and bad (Aha - Take on Me).

If I compare it to my other closed cans the BeyerdynamicT5p MKII. The peak in the highs is less obvious but still noticeable. In my opinion some equalizer tuning is needed.

Mercedes built quality, which need to be paid. The sound is a big step up from an ATH-M50X, but not so far from a T5p. In my opinion its worth the price.

sony.jpgsony_eq.jpg

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #6,067 of 9,686
Do you (or anyone else) know where the ifi stuff is made?

China, just as most electronic devices these days. However, we own the factory and assembly lines where our products are made.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #6,071 of 9,686
Are the Dekoni leather earpads better then the stock ones?
Are you referring to comfort or sound? When I owned Denons there were people on those threads changing pads and experiencing changes with bass, treble and sound stage, the equivalent of iem tip rolling.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,072 of 9,686
Impression: Effortless presentation of details in almost everything. Especially movies, electronic music and soul, blues and older rock. The best way to describe them is really the word enjoyable (95% of the time).

Contra: Not so good for very complicated and fast instrumentations like Peter Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Opus 20, II Valve by Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan I also dislike some presentation of guitar heavy metal. Some tracks are unexpected good (Womack & Womack - Teardrops) and bad (Aha - Take on Me).

If I compare it to my other closed cans the BeyerdynamicT5p MKII. The peak in the highs is less obvious but still noticeable. In my opinion some equalizer tuning is needed.

Mercedes built quality, which need to be paid. The sound is a big step up from an ATH-M50X, but not so far from a T5p. In my opinion its worth the price.

sony.jpgsony_eq.jpg
I used to own a T5p (2nd Gen), and I wholeheartedly agree - the peaks on the Beyerdynamic are prominent; they can be really harsh and grating on certain tracks. Pairing the T5p (2nd Gen) with a tube amplifier, or attenuating the peaks is a must if you are sensitive to runaway treble highs.

However, I very much prefer(red) the MDR-Z1R over the T5p (2nd Gen); I've since sold the latter.

Anyway, enjoy your time with the Sony! :)

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #6,073 of 9,686
Haven't tried them but the stock ones are awesome. And they seem to cost about 3x what the Dekoni ones do.
Are you referring to comfort or sound? When I owned Denons there were people on those threads changing pads and experiencing changes with bass, treble and sound stage, the equivalent of iem tip rolling.
Quality and comfort mainly.

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #6,074 of 9,686
Dekoni offers 4 pads in the moment for the Z1R : Elite Velour, Elite Hybrid, Elite Sheepskin, Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin. Does anyone have experience with this Dekoni pads ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back