Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 19, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #5,642 of 9,753
It's actually pretty flexibile, a lot more than the Sony Kimber, but only in a certain direction,i like it a lot more since this keeps it straight all the time.

So how does it sounds ? Is it all pure silver?

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,643 of 9,753
So how does it sounds ? Is it all pure silver?
Yes, posted impressions here :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-15813201

To be honest i don't think material makes that much of a difference, i think it boils down to conductivity, and silver cables are supposedly around 5% more conductive than copper,and 90% more expensive or something. So going for all copper makes sense as long as you have enough strands to compensate. Theoretically.
In practice, and this is completely subjective, with the Sony Kimber out of the TA i felt like i was missing out on the highs a bit, they felt rolled off, even if it did improve the bass and midrange slightly. With this one on the Dave (don't have the TA anymore and the Kimbers are 4.4 terminated so can't test apples to apples) i don't feel like anything gets rolled off or changed compared to the stock cable, the sound just seems a tiny bit fuller overall. Better "timbral density " a gentleman on the Dave forum called this "fullness ".
Of course this could all be placebo since it's extremely subtle. And i love how they roll themselves up when i put the headphones down,as opposed to the Kimbers :

Attachments

• Lavricables2.jpg
    Lavricables2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,644 of 9,753
That cable is very very white! 😛musta be stiff to

The Lavri is more flexible that the Axios due to a looser braid. I prefer the Axios braid but on sound I prefer the Lavri but differences are small and possibly not really worth the price of either cable if you look at it performance per dollar.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #5,645 of 9,753
The Lavri is more flexible that the Axios due to a looser braid. I prefer the Axios braid but on sound I prefer the Lavri but differences are small and possibly not really worth the price of either cable if you look at it performance per dollar.
That's true, i ended up getting it at least 4 times cheaper than an Axios, and i still think it's a lot considering the sound improvement,if any. Though the stock cables apparently are even more expensive. YMMW. I'm just glad that i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything, like i did with the Kimbers. But again, different dac, balanced connection, hard to draw parallels. Just get cables for what they are. Utility and Audio jewelry. Not because of FOMO.
Like baristas getting expensive tampers lol.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #5,646 of 9,753
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-15813201

To be honest i don't think material makes that much of a difference, i think it boils down to conductivity, and silver cables are supposedly around 5% more conductive than copper,and 90% more expensive or something. So going for all copper makes sense as long as you have enough strands to compensate. Theoretically.
In practice, and this is completely subjective, with the Sony Kimber out of the TA i felt like i was missing out on the highs a bit, they felt rolled off, even if it did improve the bass and midrange slightly. With this one on the Dave (don't have the TA anymore and the Kimbers are 4.4 terminated so can't test apples to apples) i don't feel like anything gets rolled off or changed compared to the stock cable, the sound just seems a tiny bit fuller overall. Better "timbral density " a gentleman on the Dave forum called this "fullnness ".
Of course this could all be placebo since it's extremely subtle. And i love how they roll themselves up when i put the headphones down,as opposed to the Kimbers :
Just to be clear, you're comparing the Kimber cable on the TA to the Lavri on the Dave, correct?

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,647 of 9,753
Just to be clear, you're comparing the Kimber cable on the TA to the Lavri on the Dave, correct?
In the first part that i linked i was talking about stock unbalanced cables vs Lavri on Dave,in that post i was talking about differences going from (stock balanced on TA to Kimber balanced ) on the TA vs (stock unbalanced on the Dave to Lavri unbalanced on Dave) , as it seemed a better way to establish a sort of baseline for the cables themselves. I guess it might be kinda confusing.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #5,648 of 9,753

In practice, and this is completely subjective, with the Sony Kimber out of the TA i felt like i was missing out on the highs a bit, they felt rolled off, even if it did improve the bass and midrange slightly. With this one on the Dave (don't have the TA anymore and the Kimbers are 4.4 terminated so can't test apples to apples) i don't feel like anything gets rolled off or changed compared to the stock cable, the sound just seems a tiny bit fuller overall. Better "timbral density " a gentleman on the Dave forum called this "fullnness ".

It looks very neet black with white cables hehe you got stylish set there ) just be patient cleaning that white cable lol

Other ways yea your theory make sense but I feel like U Iike the spc cables as it has the technicalities of silver and warmth/musicality of copper!
A think copper cable is also better then the stock cables that came with z1r though thats why sony is offering kimber kable!

I think kimber kable is 100% fine and up to the task.

Always $/performance hein $ 🙃🙂 I still believe kimber kable is better than stock any time. Stock is good but not the optimal option.

Silver or copper is the 2 best metals you can get the rest is gimmicks

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #5,649 of 9,753
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #5,650 of 9,753
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #5,651 of 9,753
I’m good with Kimber. Not spending more than that

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #5,652 of 9,753
I’m good with Kimber. Not spending more than that

I dont think there any need either. Kimber kable is recced by sony and has a very good price ratio.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #5,653 of 9,753
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #5,654 of 9,753
Always $/performance hein $ 🙃🙂 I still believe kimber kable is better than stock any time. Stock is good but not the optimal option.
It depends on your electronics (amp probably). With the TA i'd agree, the highs were a bit...ear piercing with the stock cable. But i'm not finding that on Dave, @dmdm doesn't appear to find that on his Bha-1, etc.
Unfortunately the 4.4 to 6.3 adapter i ordered for the Kimbers was delivered as a 4.4 headphone cable instead so i had to return it and was unable to compare them all on the same dac. Either way, i spent more on my Kimber (because customs from Japan and delivery) than on the Lavri Grand and it doesn't appear to come with any of the downsides, plus it feels nicer to use and look at :D . So i wish i had gotten the Lavri Grand in the first place. Time will tell about the durability.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #5,655 of 9,753
After you use a silver cable for any length of time like i have, i then decided to swap back to the kimber after an afternoon listening session, oh my goodness, i couldn't listen to it anymore, it now lives on my Z7's i keep in my work van for lunch break listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back