Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #211 of 655
well, good for them, they have other things than just phones. Can't take all those into smartphone competitions. Hey, I like apple too, I have a freaking Z3, IPhone 5s, iPad mini retina, iPad Air 2... What else ? I don't hate Apple....but to me, they are already lacking behind in music quality on a portable device where as many other cheap manufacturers are packing up and leading the way.

I don't know if you didn't read it or just didn't understand but they did have a record of phone sales as well.

And I hate apple and their way of forcing people to stick to their solutions but since I trust facts and don't make up my own ones the fact still is that they're doing better and selling more phones then ever.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #212 of 655
I don't know if you didn't read it or just didn't understand but they did have a record of phone sales as well.

And I hate apple and their way of forcing people to stick to their solutions but since I trust facts and don't make up my own ones the fact still is that they're doing better and selling more phones then ever.

So you are saying stock market buyers always stick to the facts that shown to them, and not the multi facts with many variables in markets and competitions and situations ? Good investment :D

It is ok, you can stick to that fact, as long as you are happy. I have my own ways, and as long as I am happy. You know ? About 3 years ago, who would have thought Xiaomi would be the fourth largest ? But hey, that fact at that time was that they was a no body. But let's just get this over with, and keep things on topic.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #213 of 655
I struggle to understand how exactly Apple are struggling when, just hours ago, they announced bigger quarterly net profit than any corporation in history, while also selling 74.5 million iPhones during the same 3-month period.

If anyone IS struggling, it is Sony's mobile division.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and I may not be a fan of Apple's products, but cold hard facts speak for themselves.  I mean, you wouldn't disagree that 2+2=4, right?

I agree with an earlier poster that the only thing they might be struggling with is deciding what to do with all that cash.

Anecdotally, I can also confirm that every iPhone user I know (and that's quite a few) has either upgraded to 6 / 6+ or is planning to do so.

Yes, this could change in the future, but this is the current situation.

For most high-end smartphone buyers it would be a default decision to either get an iPhone or a Samsung, with most not even being aware of the existance of the Sony Z3, let alone its wonderful set of DACs.

We shouldn't forget that audiophiles and audio enthusiasts are a tiny niche in the vast smartphone market, and for the most hardcore among us there's always the NWZ-ZX1 / NWZ-ZX2, so there's little incentive for manufacturers like Apple to try to conner our market.  

On the other hand, Sony seems to be trying to do exactly that, but it's not exactly translating into rivers of cash so far, now is it?

Having said that, the whole HRA bandwagon is starting to make things interesting.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #214 of 655
So we are onto how much giant apple can make a year ? I never said anything about them going bankruptcy? I mentioned that they have no inovations, no creativities as they used to be when Jobs was alive. Apple iPhone was one an icon of smartphone that was leading everyone in the market, and now they are just simply following, they could have the built in audiophile quality DAC and amp, but chose not to, and left it to the androids. You don't see it ? That is fine.... The economic is very simple, as simple as 2+2=4.....here bankruptcy will never happen in such a world.

Apple could totally was the one who brought about HRA...but no, it gotta be Sony. Does it mean Sony Is going to eat Apple alive ? No....it means Apple is running out of ideas.....am I saying Apple is bad ? No, they are still good. They are just not as extraordinary as when Jobs was alive. That is all. Why did I mention struggling ? Because without Steve, Apple is struggling to be what it once was. Keep being a follower when you are a leader, and you will eventually become one.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #215 of 655
You started this OT by saying this:

Apple is struggling to survive.

As a number of people have pointed out, this is factually incorrect.  Extremely incorrect in fact.

The FACT is that Apple is currently a more successful company now than at any time during Jobs' rein.

The rest is a matter of opinion.  My opinion is that Cook didn't invent planned obsolescence - it was built into every iPhone released under Jobs by omitting key features (or specs) widely available among the competition at the time.  When those missing features were subsequently added, it was announced with much funfair as and a really big deal.  

How is that different from what's happening now?  Wow, the screen on the new iPhone is as big as my 3 year old Android phone!  And the new iPhone has NFC!  Just like my 3 year old Android phone!  Perhaps next year they'll even add AptX!  Like my Adnroid phone from 2012!

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #216 of 655
Hy guys, can we just discuss about the sound quality ? It seems already out of topic :). There so many things we can discuss about the sound quality of this device and how to make it even better (software or adding some recomended dac/amp etc) rather than judging who is bigger company and who is make more profit or else. Not so enjoyable to read. I really want to know if someone here already use a dac/amp and paired it with the z3's family.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #217 of 655
Indeed, it seems its allways same people starting this polemics by making grandiloquent statements about almost everything, just think twice before writing please, it almost seems as if some people need to feel superior in regards of any discussion that comes up.

In another note, I'm more interested in the new ROOT form and the possibility to boost the the low output capabilitys of this phones, whether its V4A ore some kind of specific ROM+Kernel.
I'm still struggling to find a phone that fits my necessities to be a portable player too.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #218 of 655
Hy guys, can we just discuss about the sound quality ? It seems already out of topic :). There so many things we can discuss about the sound quality of this device and how to make it even better (software or adding some recomended dac/amp etc) rather than judging who is bigger company and who is make more profit or else. Not so enjoyable to read. I really want to know if someone here already use a dac/amp and paired it with the z3's family.

I've managed to get the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 working with UAPP (it works with the stock player as well but no volume control) and the GeekOut 720 (with external power) works with the stock player and HibyMusic but no volume control there either.......

To take full advantage of this phone as a player/source it seems we either need to GPO down the ROOT path or wait for Lollipop to be available for it and see how Sony has choosen to use it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #219 of 655
I listen to the Z3C with some movie scores in the last times, it sounds fantastic the detailed charater of this phone matched it perfectly.
The 24Bit Vinyl Rips i got here sound outstanding, rly like the sound of Sony Smartphones. :)

BTW: With the Z3C i can hear more difference between mp3 and FLAC then on any other phone i had before.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #220 of 655
I listen to the Z3C with some movie scores in the last times, it sounds fantastic the detailed charater of this phone matched it perfectly.
The 24Bit Vinyl Rips i got here sound outstanding, rly like the sound of Sony Smartphones. :)

BTW: With the Z3C i can hear more difference between mp3 and FLAC then on any other phone i had before.

Yes I agreed ! I like the Z3 this way too, it sounds so lean and clean, I am glad more people enjoy it and find it sound better than most phones out there. the Z and Z2 didn't sound as good. I am not sure what changed.

How did you rip your vynil ? Lol...I was able to rip my bluray, but i have not found any track which is 24/96 yet on a bluray.

You know ? Funny thing is....since HRA from the Z3, I find it worthy buying Blu-ray Discs more and more :wink:

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #221 of 655
Found a german review they say the Z3C sounds better then the Z3... Funny.
They tested with Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.
They say the "Z3 Compact" sounds nearly identical like iPhone (Reference) perfect they say... While the Z3 lacks in Bass and the Highs are not so good like in Z3 Compact.

http://www.focus.de/digital/handy/handyvergleich/test-sony-xperia-z3-compact-multimedia-klingt-besser_id_4222570.html

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #223 of 655
So what is the verdict on this phone? This thread is really really long. 

How does it compare to the iPhone 6, sonically? Blame nostalgia, but I grew up with a Sony Walkmen CD player practically strapped to me at all times. That being said, i'm interested in this phone and its sound quality. 

The only review i've read on it was the What HIFI one. It claimed that the i6 sounds better. 

Thanks. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #224 of 655
As i said above the german test said that the Z3 Compact sounds the same like the Iphones (4S, 5S).
But the Iphone 6 has a touch more clarity.

Now the normal Z3 isnt that good like Z3 Compact. Thats what the german test said. They tested with Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.
I got the Z3 Compact and iam happy with the quailty, but i never heard the normal Z3 (which they tested on WhatHifi..., i saw they didnt test the Z3 Compact).

So i get it as this:

1st: IPhone 6
2nd: IPhone 4s/5S and Z3 Compact
3rd: Z3

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #225 of 655
So what is the verdict on this phone? This thread is really really long. 

How does it compare to the iPhone 6, sonically? Blame nostalgia, but I grew up with a Sony Walkmen CD player practically strapped to me at all times. That being said, i'm interested in this phone and its sound quality. 

The only review i've read on it was the What HIFI one. It claimed that the i6 sounds better. 

Thanks. 

Now, i started this thread. I owned Z3, and Z3 tablet compact, iphone 5s, ipad air 2, tried note 4, Borrowed iphone 6 plus, using all on the same source. Call my ears hearing fox farts is just fine.

My verdict

Z3 is the best portable smartphone to play music. Iphones are similar as they used to be as previous generations, may be some improvement in claritiy with iphone 6 plus, but the soundstage, instruments seperations are not there.

Fact, Z3 has a built in converter, which allow yiu to adjust your EQ toward all sounds processed, which including any third party music player such as Neutron, on top of that, you can also use the software built EQ....the sound EQ on the Z3 is a built in, it will affect live stream from youtube....etc. Iphones can only have software EQ, and non of the built in hardware available.

Setting......sound....audio setting.....here you can do all you want...sounds effects for Eq, clean bass adjustment, and or headphones boost.....there are 6 headphones boosts, which will either boost highs or lows...i only use general. Now, all these setup are hardware....they will play youtube according to the sound you prefer.

Keep following those measurements. They are not even half of what is true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back