Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #2,296 of 2,318
I would need to check and see if there is a gap but I have had zero issues with this cable, it's absolutely fine 👍🏻
If there is a gap and you find the time a picture would be greatly appreciated for reference!
thinking about fitting the mmcx plug of the cable with a perfectly fitting o-ring, only question is where to find it :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #2,298 of 2,318
Hello guys. Does anyone know where I can buy a new set of tuning foams for the xba-n3 ?
Only on taobao you can find something that is either the same or something extremely similar.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593408096701
1704850234875.png

you need the ones translated as "imported" (very high density foams). A few different sizes in that version, 4x3mm, 4x5mm and 4.5x5mm

May 19, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #2,299 of 2,318
Trying to find a comparison btw N3 and Z5. Are there anyone who tried both?

May 19, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,301 of 2,318
I look at the N3 as in a way............Sony attempting to move forward into a slightly more ergonomic design. Yes the IER-Z1R is not totally ergonomic, yet they for many fit better than the Z5. And if you study both the N3 and IER-Z1R you can't help but notice similarities..............the N3 is a baby IER-Z1R. Where of the three the odd-man-out would be the Z5. With that said............many feel the N3 is a move forward into a future sound.....like it is more modern sound for Sony. The Sony N3 has a thinner more controlled bass, where the Z5 emulates the style of tune Sony was into at the time mainly the MDR-Z7..........where again you could in many ways compare the IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R...........I mean they are suppose to be compared closer to the same in tone, right? Where I see the N3 as having both simpler and less detailed bass, to where you can't deny so many people understanding and falling in-love with the XBA-Z5 bass? That bass is bigger and more defined both at the same time, yet also sloppy in a way due to the bass amount and due to size of the XBA-Z5 driver? The problem with the Z5 is if you attempt to put wide-bore tips to increase pace the resulting BAs sound grainy...........so you are better with the Sony narrow-bore stock tips. IMO

But I look at the N3 bass as more integral, and the Z5 bass as being farther outside and more of its own thing. Where the XBA-Z5 could be looked at as having a separate personality to where the bass lands, it is more of a character and bigger so you can see that character. The XBA-Z5 bass is rounder and holds its own area in the stage. I hold the XBA-Z5 as having a more mature bass, a more beefy bass, though remember there are people who like the N3 way more than the Z5.......where they look at it as Sony gaining ground and producing a more advanced IEM, to where in a way the XBA-Z5 is the Z7 full-size, and the N3 and IER-Z1R is the MDR-Z1R..............

This is from memory, but I have held them back to back during tests for another member......in the past.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#review-24616
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...s-in-ear-headphone.20347/reviews#review-25850

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #2,302 of 2,318
Yes, got both. Z5 has a darker treble, less vocals and more bass quantity that is also slower/looser, it has a deeper stage but overall is a bit too dark for me. N3 is like the perfectly balanced iem, despite it having a decent bass boost, it is balanced out by the airy upper-treble, timbre is also a bit better on the N3, personally i prefer the N3.

The Blon BL-03 is a budget version of the N3, while the Final Audio E series would be closer to the Z5.

May 20, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #2,303 of 2,318
Guess I will also share my thoughts about the XBA-A3. The A3 is like a mix of the N3 combined with the EX800st/EX1000, so it has a tighter and faster bass and a bit less than the N3 but a similarly smooth treble although not as much upper-treble air as the N3.

Compared with the Z5, despite the graphs being near identical, they are drastically different, with the Z5 being much darker in the treble and much slower and looser bass.

1. XBA-N3
2. XBA-A3
3. XBA-Z5

May 20, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,304 of 2,318
My XBA-N3’s are my fav iem, symphonium meteor is a close second.

May 21, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #2,305 of 2,318
Thanks for all the response. I recently brought the N3 and absolutely love it. Coming for more neutral sound, the bass is what stood out for me initially and the smoother treble was an added bonus. I like darker sets in general but never found the N3 fatiguing. My psy ambient/psy chill library never sounded this good. N3 will fill in the bass head pick in my line up.
Being a Sony fan boy I want to try some other sets as well and Z5 stood out with the laid back treble tuning but the bass doesn’t seem like my thing. N3 already bleeds a bit especially when track gets a bit fast so I don’t think Z5 is for me probably. Out of curiosity I did order a EX800ST from Japan, waiting to try them out. I guess I will see if my ears agree on the fitment.

May 21, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #2,308 of 2,318
Wow, you like the N3 more than the Meteor (which is supposed to be more resolving and dynamic)?

It was the first iem that absolutely "clicked" with my preferred signature back in 2016 after 10+ years of buying iem’s to “discover” my preferred signature sound so I hold it dear and close to my heart, its a very warm and enveloping sound, never heard a track that I'm not entirely comfortable playing through the N3 - it seems to have more heft to the bass than the meteor.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #2,309 of 2,318
It was the first iem that absolutely "clicked" with my preferred signature back in 2016 after 10+ years of buying them so I hold it dear and close to my heart, its a very warm and comforting sound, never heard a track that I'm not entirely comfortable playing through the N3 - it seems to have more heft to the bass than the meteor.
Ditto. It was the IEM that gave me this "eureka!" moment. Almost enlightening. Made me hate everything I have purchased prior to it.

May 21, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #2,310 of 2,318
Ditto. It was the IEM that gave me this "eureka!" moment. Almost enlightening. Made me hate everything I have purchased prior to it.

I can sympathise, to think I used to consider the Etymotic er4-p I used back in 2005 to sound good, or the sennheiser cx300 bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back