Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
May 22, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,163 of 2,314
ZX707, Sony IEM's in general go great together with other Sony stuff:)

I use mine with the NW-A306 and all is well... :wink:

May 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,164 of 2,314
Maybe it is also time to look for an alternative to the XBA-N3, even the used market is running dry. What I mean with that, currently globally available that can be EQ'd fairyly close to the XBA-N3 sound.

YES, I know one will not be able to get a 100% copy, but for most getting close to 80-90% of the XBA-N3 is a more achievable target than buying an XBA-N3 with luck used locally or abroad and then ship it around the world without any warranty, nor ever having heard it.

It would be so great if sony would release an updated version to the XBA-N3.

For example the Aful Performer 5 could be a candidate. Have not tested it yet, but at least what I read in Nymz review they are not that far off on the frequence graph and sound.

May 25, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,165 of 2,314
Maybe it is also time to look for an alternative to the XBA-N3, even the used market is running dry. What I mean with that, currently globally available that can be EQ'd fairyly close to the XBA-N3 sound.

YES, I know one will not be able to get a 100% copy, but for most getting close to 80-90% of the XBA-N3 is a more achievable target than buying an XBA-N3 with luck used locally or abroad and then ship it around the world without any warranty, nor ever having heard it.

For example the Aful Performer 5 could be a candidate. Have not tested it yet, but at least what I read in Nymz review they are not that far off on the frequence graph and sound.

I haven't heard a ChiFi hybrid yet that didn't suffer from significant coherency issues, I don't expect the P5 to do much better. Maybe take a look at the QKZ HBB as a cheap N3 alternative.

Of all the IEMs I own, the Final E5000 is the closest to the N3, using wide bore tips (Radius Deep Mount in my case).

It is still a bit darker, but is surprisingly better at detail retrieval. The N3 with silicone tips has a slight metallic timbre in some tracks. With foams or those triple comfort tips, it's just amazing.

May 25, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #2,166 of 2,314

Doing A/B Comparisons of the AFUL Performer 5 versus Sony XBA N3:

- XBA N3 is L-shaped versus the U-shaped P5. The XBA N3 is warmer with a thicker note weight. N3's mid-bass is larger, though the bass isn’t as tight, with mid-bass bleed. XBA N3 is more mid-bass focused, versus the sub-woofer like sub-bass focused P5.

- The XBA N3 has a more natural timbre, and better coherency. This may be due to the foam damping that Sony uses in the nozzles of their IEMs, it is their special recipe.

- XBA N3 has slightly worse technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, micro-details and clarity). Otherwise, the soundstage is slightly more expansive on the XBA N3, though imaging is more nebulous, so the soundscape is a bit hazy.

- XBA N3 has driver flex and inferior isolation.

May 26, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #2,167 of 2,314
Doing A/B Comparisons of the AFUL Performer 5 versus Sony XBA N3:

- XBA N3 is L-shaped versus the U-shaped P5. The XBA N3 is warmer with a thicker note weight. N3's mid-bass is larger, though the bass isn’t as tight, with mid-bass bleed. XBA N3 is more mid-bass focused, versus the sub-woofer like sub-bass focused P5.

- The XBA N3 has a more natural timbre, and better coherency. This may be due to the foam damping that Sony uses in the nozzles of their IEMs, it is their special recipe.

- XBA N3 has slightly worse technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, micro-details and clarity). Otherwise, the soundstage is slightly more expansive on the XBA N3, though imaging is more nebulous, so the soundscape is a bit hazy.

- XBA N3 has driver flex and inferior isolation.
Gonna buy next month the performer 5 then, gonna test eqing it into an L-Shape. Fortunately, I wont need to touch the mids and higher.

I haven't heard a ChiFi hybrid yet that didn't suffer from significant coherency issues, I don't expect the P5 to do much better. Maybe take a look at the QKZ HBB as a cheap N3 alternative.

Of all the IEMs I own, the Final E5000 is the closest to the N3, using wide bore tips (Radius Deep Mount in my case).

It is still a bit darker, but is surprisingly better at detail retrieval. The N3 with silicone tips has a slight metallic timbre in some tracks. With foams or those triple comfort tips, it's just amazing.
Will have a look at the E5000, got an A4000 and now also A5000 and I like them a lot. Though I heard bad things about the E5000 concerning quality control

May 26, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #2,168 of 2,314
It is true that the XBA N3 has a more natural timbre, and better coherency than the Performer5, but the bass quantity is a tiny bit too much for me. The Performer5 has more balanced tuning IMO and such an addictive sound, that I am enjoying it more than the N3.

May 26, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,169 of 2,314
The XBA-N3 has boosted bass, that is true yes. It is, in the end, an Entry Level Hifi Earphone that is targeted at people getting into the hobby.

There is a good reason why the XBA-Z5, IER-M7, IER-M9 and IER-Z1R exist.

Sony is not selling the best they can do for an entry level price, but the bass is not overdone imho. It is strong, but its very well controlled and it has excellent treble and mids.

Of course this doesn't help if you don't like its tuning, but if you do like its tuning, its most likely the best you can get for the money it costs.

The coherency issues that ChiFi in this price class sufffers from comes simply from stock components. Chifi companies, in general, don't develop anything themself. They just buy the components and tuck it together, that means they have very limited control about how things sound.

Due to this limited control, they often resert to use soundpipes which influences the sound even more.

This is very slowly changing but, at the same time, the price of chifi is increasing and even slightly modified stock components from an chifi company often cost more than in-house developed/made components from Japanese companies.

So you either get bad sound or ripped off, that is why i stay away from it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,170 of 2,314
The XBA-N3 has boosted bass, that is true yes. It is, in the end, an Entry Level Hifi Earphone that is targeted at people getting into the hobby.

There is a good reason why the XBA-Z5, IER-M7, IER-M9 and IER-Z1R exist.

Sony is not selling the best they can do for an entry level price, but the bass is not overdone imho. It is strong, but its very well controlled and it has excellent treble and mids.

Of course this doesn't help if you don't like its tuning, but if you do like its tuning, its most likely the best you can get for the money it costs.

The coherency issues that ChiFi in this price class sufffers from comes simply from stock components. Chifi companies, in general, don't develop anything themself. They just buy the components and tuck it together, that means they have very limited control about how things sound.

Due to this limited control, they often resert to use soundpipes which influences the sound even more.

This is very slowly changing but, at the same time, the price of chifi is increasing and even slightly modified stock components from an chifi company often cost more than in-house developed/made components from Japanese companies.

So you either get bad sound or ripped off, that is why i stay away from it.

Ok, not to deep into the audio world yet, so I can not comment on this yet.

Looking for something that compliments my Final A5000, a bit mit lower centric and less bright. While I love the A5000, sometimes something dark is nice.
One thing though in Europe it is easier to get chinese IEM than Japanese ones. Sony does not sell any, only Final and even there supply is short. Other Japanese brands 不可能. Only chinese IEM I had till now was the Shuoer S12 but sold it cause I liked my A4000 better.

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,172 of 2,314
hey all

I don't know how I did it, but I think I lost my N3AP somewhere while commuting :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

What would be a currently available similar alternative in sound, that can be worn straight down like the N3AP? Listening to rock and metal with flat EQ on rockboxed Sandisk Clip+

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,173 of 2,314
hey all

I don't know how I did it, but I think I lost my N3AP somewhere while commuting :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

What would be a currently available similar alternative in sound, that can be worn straight down like the N3AP? Listening to rock and metal with flat EQ on rockboxed Sandisk Clip+
Find another one while there are still used units out there (discontinued)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/XBA-N3BP-Earphones-Resolution-Compatible-Balanced/dp/B0756KVG3K

1687897226232.png

https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/14559/2069/

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #2,175 of 2,314
While interesting, getting those used ones is not easy where I am, amazon.jp won't ship to my country.

I'd be interested to know of readily available alternatives in Europe if anyone has an idea?

thanks!
You can use a buying agent - I have used and can recommend Zenmarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back