Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,531 of 2,318
What do you think of the Z5 or the EX800ST relative to the M9? Z5 looks to be about $600 AUD and EX800ST is $300 AUD, would either of them be a nice addition if I already had an M9 and XBA-N3?

I feel like the Z5 & EX800ST would be a pretty similar combination to what you already have, with Z5 being an upgrade to N3, and EX800ST being a downgrade to M9.

I love the Z5's ultrawide soundstage and deep bass, along with its smooth yet detailed treble. M9 has the best mids out of all 4 in my opinion, but the BA bass doesn't suit my taste in music (mainly electronic) compared to the others. EX800ST is nicely balanced plus has the DD bass that I prefer, but doesn't quite have the same level of detail retrieval as M9.

The other thing to consider is fit. Z5 & EX800ST are similar in that they both protrude out of your ear and look a bit weird compared to M9 & N3.

If it were me and I had to choose one to add in your collection, I would go for the Z5 :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,532 of 2,318
For those that have the balanced cable as well - what kind of differences in sound can I expect by listening to the N3 via balanced? Thinking of getting a pair back, I opted for the V-moda ZN a couple of years back because I felt the Zn had better sub bass and more soundstage.

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,533 of 2,318
I haven't opened my Balanced cable N3 yet (that's my backup) but I will be getting a balanced cable soon. I'll let you know then. 7-10 days to get it. I will be testing it out on the NW-WM1A player. Which will also be arriving around the same time

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,534 of 2,318
I haven't opened my Balanced cable N3 yet (that's my backup) but I will be getting a balanced cable soon. I'll let you know then. 7-10 days to get it. I will be testing it out on the NW-WM1A player. Which will also be arriving around the same time

That sounds like a good combo. Would appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,535 of 2,318
For those that have the balanced cable as well - what kind of differences in sound can I expect by listening to the N3 via balanced? Thinking of getting a pair back, I opted for the V-moda ZN a couple of years back because I felt the Zn had better sub bass and more soundstage.

This is dependant upon the source not the headphone. Often dual-output sources will have different/inferior or underpowered single end from which you'll probably notice improvements (typically in presentation related areas like stage & imaging). Often the balanced end will also have a different output impedance which can alter the frequency response of some IEMs (for better or worse), although in my (admittedly not closely observed) experience the N3 seems minimally affected by this. IMO (again, not a critical listener) from good single end the changes/improvements are not readily apparent, or at least not obviously attributable to the balanced design rather than some other design difference, of course YMMV.

I'm not much of a cable person either, but the stock N3AP cable certainly does not inspire confidence - mine even had loose connectors, so conceivably there could be some change in just having a better electrical connection (and certainly you will feel better about yourself and the world, dressed to the nines strutting around with a shiny new leash for your ears :robot:).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #1,539 of 2,318
Hey Peeps,

Do hope all us well!

Looking to make my Sony XBA N3AP Bluetooth so looking for all those who either have personal experience or advice nevertheless.

As ever, it is really appreciated.

Cheers :)

I occasionally use a FiiO BTR3 which is well made with an aluminium case and supports a very wide range of encoding systems. For me its biggest plus is support for Sony's own LDAC which gives near wired connection quality. Currently being discounted in the UK from £55 to £42 on Amazon.

Be aware though that higher performance codecs require a good BT connection so close proximity to your DAP or phone. Base-level codecs such as SBC are much more tolerant of distance and BT interference in areas where lots of people in close proximity are using BT eg, on the tube/metro.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,541 of 2,318
I got my AKG K3003i and Sennheiser IE800 (not the fake ones!).
Well, I can definitely tell AKG K3003i sounds more detailed and bassier than N3 but IE800 isn't really better.
Surprisingly IE800 sounds just as good as XBA 300... can't tell if it's better. XBA 300 sounds more organized in some ways.
I think I'll stop buying IEMs... no more purchases need to be made.
$900 IE800 sounds just similar to N3 and XBA 300... so I'm starting to realize there's no point in buying more expensive IEMs.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,542 of 2,318
Hey guys
I attached the Kimber Kable to the N3. Is that small gap between the cable and earphone normal? I can't seem to get the perfect fit no matter what I do. Got the cable from Japan and earphones from Sony Store in Singapore. The cable does click in though. Thx!
20191119_172837.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,543 of 2,318
Yep, mine are the same :)
5B9FAC38-B513-4E31-BD92-FDB0A589CB97.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back