Sony XBA-H1 Pictures and Impressions!
Oct 13, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 71
Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend, no hype tactics in play.

Sound update 1:

It's taken a while to get over the Atrio MG7, the bass was truly out of this world. The XBA-H1 is cannot really be described as a bassy IEM when compared to the Atrios, far more balanced. The sound of the hybrid drivers is really something special, all the bass rumble that's missing from the usual array of single or dual BA IEMs, and the balanced signature and lack of obvious flaws that usually plague the cheaper dynamic IEMs. The bass here can be described as above average, only a few DBs higher than is strictly "audiophile", quality is quite good, tracks with multiple bass lines are not muddled or lacking. Dubstep sounds excellent, I always thought this kind of music would be better suited to the insanity-crisis level of sub-bass of the Atrios, but now I realise it was too much. Also, the bass doesn't intrude where it shouldn't, jazz piano and strings sound as they are supposed to, really surprised with this, I can't hear any bleed into the mid-range. Metal and hard rock is perfect, I can't stop listening.

It's tough to review the mids and highs, there simply isn't much to complain about. There are no sharp peaks, no recessed mids, no harshness. Instrument separation is very good overall, maybe some room for improvement in the highs. Detail retrieval is excellent, this definitely due to the BA driver, no muddiness or veil here. The dynamic driver is very well integrated, this isn't a BA+subwoofer deal (remember the super.Fi EB?), it's as if there is no crossover at all. Soundstage is pretty good, not overly broad, but intimate. Definitely a "front row" presentation.

I'm really, really impressed with the signature overall, I can't believe how far budget IEMs have come. I tried really hard in the past to love BA's, tried nearly all of them, the XBA-3 came close but still sounded unnatural and strained. The XBA-H1 sounds effortless, and correct. I'm already looking to pre-order the H2 and H3!

Physical update 1:

Comfort is very good, light and unobtrusive. The size really isn't a problem. They stay in very well, although your ears may vary. Shirt clip + flat cable is incredible, no microphonics at all. isolation is very good, although I haven't put them into a speeding train setting yet, we'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning.

Thanks
EK

Thanks for those impressions! May the hype begin!

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 71
Thank you evilking! Now I got something to look forward to for Xmas. Woohooo! I'm collecting hybrids from now on. I already have the H200 and DN 1000; yey!

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 71
I get my H1's in a few days. I will give everyone loads of hype and superlatives. But only if they are good :)

If they are not good or just ok I intend to be just as descriptive.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #24 of 71
It turns out that the "lunchtime shootout" was really a late evening shootout, but it worked out for the best, I spent a lot more time comparing and making notes.

There is no doubt about it, the Atrios are only mildly bassier than the XBA-H1, not the earth shattering amount I had imagined (aural memory is quite poor). The XBA-H1s on the other hand are much more detailed than the Atrios, it's really quite substantial. I can't believe I listened to the Atrios for 6 months and didn't notice how much was pushed into the background. I think I subconsciously accepted the compromise for the price and level/quality of bass, which to be honest is still second to none (in fact I came back to the Atrios after selling back in 2011 because I couldn't find anything better). The H1 still rocks pretty hard in the bass department, it should be enough for bassheads, but I cannot say for sure, it depends on how much bass you want.

If you are choosing between the two, and one isn't heavily discounted for some reason, go with the XBA-H1.

This will be the end of the Atrio comparison, they are up for sale here. I cannot pretend that they have the same value after trashing them as above, so I have cut the price to less than half retail, only £60 delivered for two day old Atrios, in the UK they are normally £125.

I'm looking seriously at the H2 and H3, so I will update soon if/when they arrive.

Thanks
EK

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 71
It turns out that the "lunchtime shootout" was really a late evening shootout, but it worked out for the best, I spent a lot more time comparing and making notes.

There is no doubt about it, the Atrios are only mildly bassier than the XBA-H1, not the earth shattering amount I had imagined (aural memory is quite poor). The XBA-H1s on the other hand are much more detailed than the Atrios, it's really quite substantial. I can't believe I listened to the Atrios for 6 months and didn't notice how much was pushed into the background. I think I subconsciously accepted the compromise for the price and level/quality of bass, which to be honest is still second to none (in fact I came back to the Atrios after selling back in 2011 because I couldn't find anything better). The H1 still rocks pretty hard in the bass department, it should be enough for bassheads, but I cannot say for sure, it depends on how much bass you want.

If you are choosing between the two, and one isn't heavily discounted for some reason, go with the XBA-H1.

This will be the end of the Atrio comparison, they are up for sale here. I cannot pretend that they have the same value after trashing them as above, so I have cut the price to less than half retail, only [size=inherit]70.67€ (£60)[/size] delivered for two day old Atrios, in the UK they are normally [size=inherit]147.23€ (£125.).[/size]

I'm looking seriously at the H2 and H3, so I will update soon if/when they arrive.

Thanks
EK

How about the isolation after you used them in various environments ? There is some vent hole on the H1 ? If yes can you put later a picture where the vent is visible.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 71

Oh my those are pretty beefy. I had the XBA40 and those look almost as big.

my same thoughts! 
eek.gif

and these are supposed to be the smaller ones of the new H series ?! what are the H3 like, then?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #28 of 71
Oct 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 71
Thanks for the impressions.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #30 of 71
The picture above looks like he is wearing the XBA-H3 in that picture versus the H1. The H3 looks positively frankenbolt and I have owned the EX1000 and MDR7550, neither of which looked that obtrusive. The H1 has peaked my curiosity a bit so I will wait and see what reviews/comparisons to the 7550 are like. Otherwise I think the 7550 would be my choice if I decided to get another pair of high end Sony IEM's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back