Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #304 of 326
I just bought myself xba 300ap and notice the stock cable is crap and must be change with a different cable. With current i use oyaide mmcx cable it sounded much better. It does really shows how good sony BA drivers are.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #305 of 326
Hear ya! Sony and AT both. They are on this kick making all these $100+ cables that they make good profit on and don't include one truly befitting of a triple armature earphone. The point of putting in three armatures is to get more range, more detail, more extension and better layering/separation then you throw on a cable that limits the ability/potential of the armatures.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #310 of 326
I own XBA-300 for 2 years, they are good as hell! Perfect portable companion.
Did anybody change the cable to balanced one? And found the difference for better?

I also loved these IEM's when I had them. I think these are really underappreciated and undeservedly neglected by reviewers. I tried using them with a balanced cable with my Fiio X5-3 and it seemed to me that the treble were more natural and less elevated.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #311 of 326
I also loved these IEM's when I had them. I think these are really underappreciated and undeservedly neglected by reviewers. I tried using them with a balanced cable with my Fiio X5-3 and it seemed to me that the treble were more natural and less elevated.
100% agree! I also see that people just do not know them, or heard nothing about them. May be because hybrid IEMs appeared that time and all attention switched to the hybrid models.
What exactly cable did you use - from Sony or custom one?

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #312 of 326
100% agree! I also see that people just do not know them, or heard nothing about them. May be because hybrid IEMs appeared that time and all attention switched to the hybrid models.
What exactly cable did you use - from Sony or custom one?

I used this one - FiiO RC-SE1B, and it was very microphonic with the 300's as these are not designed for over-ear fit, so I had to wear it over-neck in order to avoid microphonics or use two clips.
Regarding hybrid models, I only tried Dunu DK-3001 (bit more pircey than the Sony's), and was not impressed comparing them with 300's. So I decided to stick to pure armature.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #313 of 326
I used this one - FiiO RC-SE1B, and it was very microphonic with the 300's as these are not designed for over-ear fit, so I had to wear it over-neck in order to avoid microphonics or use two clips.
Regarding hybrid models, I only tried Dunu DK-3001 (bit more pircey than the Sony's), and was not impressed comparing them with 300's. So I decided to stick to pure armature.

I also heard about the microphonic effect of that, so I avoid buying it. Apparantly, I buy something from DUNU - they have good cables made from copper 7N.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #314 of 326
I recently demoed the XBA-300 again, and I must say considering the other BA options on the market, these earphones are rather under-appreciated like some fans here have noted.
I must make it clear that these earphones have a sound signature that I find a bit unnatural, and to some degree, I don't particularly like the sound. That said, these earphones have some very clear strengths compared to other options at and above its price.
The treble is definitely elevated, with a really strong shimmer and attack. I find it extremely enjoyable for things like acoustic and even well-mastered electronic, though it can bring out the worst in some hotly or badly mastered tracks. For example, Kill v Maim by Grimes was barely listenable because of all the smearing in the aggressive compression and mastering.
The thing about the XBA-300 that I don't particularly like is the dip (or dips) in the mid-range. It seems really uneven and vocals can sound muted on some tracks, then noticeably sibilant on others.
The bass, however, is rather excellent. Digs deep, is really fast, and I like the dry texture it brings to different genres. While I tend to lean towards dynamic drivers for bass performance, I must say there's something about the way BA earphones render bass that I find very intriguing and I do enjoy many BA IEMs for this reason. This is in spite of many claiming that BA do not "work" for bass -- I frankly disagree, it's just a difference in flavour in my opinion. Speedy and exciting on BA vs warm and natural on dynamics.
Isolation is also great on this earphone, and I found the XBA-300 fit my ears rather comfortably as well.
In comparison, I found the sound signature of the XBA-A2, A3, and Z5 more to my liking, since I found those earphones more natural-sounding. But I did feel like I was missing out greatly on the strong isolation, easy fit, and speedy rendition throughout the frequency response that was offered on the XBA-300. If you made me pick between the XBA-A2 and 300 to use exclusively on the train, I think I'd pick the 300 to block out the environmental noise alone.
That said, if I were to go with a BA set of IEMs at the moment, I'd pick the Etymotic ER4SR, which also has a brighter signature but renders vocals in a manner I find more natural and pleasing. Isolation on the ER4SR is also stronger, though you sacrifice ease of fit with those deep insertion tips. The ER4SR also has bass that does not perform as well as the XBA-300 in my opinion.
I'm rather looking forward to the new Sony IEMs that are coming out, and in particular I wonder how much prices for second-hand units of XBA-300 would go for now that the new models are arriving. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #315 of 326
People don't like the BA bass because it is much more dry than what they are used with dynamics. I find the BA bass much tighter and precise, no artificial boomy ness.

I too found the XBA-300 mids a bit underwhelming on the long run, hence I bought Westone UM PRO 30's. XBA-300 is like listening music on small satellite speakers with a subwoofer, while the Westone is closer to a vintage large volume speaker. Bass is big but not as deep, mids are charming, while the lower trebles are recessed and soft to the ear. Very complimentary models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back