SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,231 of 2,082
Has the True-Fi iOS app worked well for folks? I couldn't get it to actually load any of my local files on my iPhone or my iPad (music I own, not music I stream). Last I looked on the App Store page, I wasn't the only one with those issues. Haven't had any issues with the macOS app though.

At any rate, that's good that they added an XM3 profile—I'll download the app again and give it a try.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,236 of 2,082
MQA on Tidal was a solid upgrade in SQ, much better mastering than hi-fi on the songs I tried.
Re-downloading all my offline albums with possible MQA versions now.
Sounds fabulous with the xm3.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,240 of 2,082
Level match volume and have a friend help with blind listening testing and see if MQA sounds better than HiFi. Best way to know if this is money well spent. One factor that can influence things is that often the remastered versions are made a little louder so when you play it back at the same volume setting it will sound more engaging. That is a possible contributor. I know I tried blind listening testing at my brothers and I couldn't reliably pick MQA out.

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,241 of 2,082
MQA on Tidal was a solid upgrade in SQ, much better mastering than hi-fi on the songs I tried.
One factor is that many recordings on streaming services (including Tidal lossless) are crippled by an audible watermark (https://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark). However, I have found that MQA albums on Tidal do not have the watermark distortion. I believe this is the factor that makes the difference rather than MQA technology itself.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,243 of 2,082
Yeah WAY too much bass - if the app can fix that for phone playback - fantastic![/QUOTE]

I agree there is too much bass. I find I can get a great balanced sound using the EQ in the Sony app. Great for my iPhone as it still connects via AAC. I use the EQ on my dap as the Sony EQ won’t work with LDAC.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,244 of 2,082
By now, it seems well-known what the 2019 model must/mustn't feature: no XX-Bass, (much)improved controls, improved passive isolation, improved Bluetooth connectivity, (further)improved ANC, lighter weight, easier & cheaper-to-replace ear-pads. Last, but not least, the fuggly thick&narrow, TeleTubby-ish padded headband center-piece should maybe be replaced by something flat&wide, and possibly unpadded, for better comfort and looks. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,245 of 2,082
By now, it seems well-known what the next model must/mustn't feature: no XX-Bass, (much)improved controls, improved passive isolation, (further)improved ANC, lighter weight, easier & cheaper-to-replace ear-pads. Last, but not least, the fuggly thick&narrow, TeleTubby-ish padded headband center-piece should maybe be replaced by something flat&wide, and possibly unpadded, for better comfort and looks.

You're kidding right? Aside from the option to turn off the touch pad and reducing the bass, most of those are horrible ideas. (ESPECIALLY the idea to reduce the padding, which is one of the thibgs this headphone does right!)

Seriously, have you tried many of the other headphones on the market with little to no padding in the headband? Even on sets that are lighter they cause pain and sorespots after an hour or less or wear!

If there's anything I want more headphone manufacturers to do, it's put more padding on the headband, especially on heavier headphones. (Which I kinda hope the XM4s get since I'd like something better than plastic and pleather on the next set.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back