Sony WH-1000XM4 discussion and reviews
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #602 of 634
I dislike them intensely. I have a pair of $50 Sony WH-CH510 that IMO sound better than the WH-1000XM4. I thought the $350 pair would be a massive upgrade from the $50 pair.

Never again will I take notice of the hype.
It been difficult for me to find a good set of closed back wireless headphones. I have the wh-1000xm4 and I mostly use it for the noise canceling while traveling, that's really it :frowning2: . In most situations when I need closed back just put my Iem W/ MOJO and ipod and get on with listening or i put my true wireless on ( Sennheiser true wireless momentum 2) when working out.

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #604 of 634
Would the 1000XM4's be an upgrade sound-wise over the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones?

Mostly just looking for an upgrade that's closed back (HD598SE are open) and the 1000XM4's are down to $230 everywhere for prime day. Would be using the 1000XM4's off in wired mode.

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #605 of 634
Would the 1000XM4's be an upgrade sound-wise over the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones?

Mostly just looking for an upgrade that's closed back (HD598SE are open) and the 1000XM4's are down to $230 everywhere for prime day. Would be using the 1000XM4's off in wired mode.
Nope. If anything, they would be a significant downgrade from the HD 598 SE because I do not care for the way the WH-1000XM4 does its bass boost: Its bass shelf extends too far into the lower mids, making the low end sound honky and woofy. And using the XM4 wired without its NC turned on will only make things worse.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #606 of 634
Nope. If anything, they would be a significant downgrade from the HD 598 SE because I do not care for the way the WH-1000XM4 does its bass boost: Its bass shelf extends too far into the lower mids, making the low end sound honky and woofy. And using the XM4 wired without its NC turned on will only make things worse.
That is why we correct things with equalization which is an incredibly effective technique to deal with things such as you describe. There are people who would tell you why they don't like the HD598 believe me. There are no universal preferences.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #607 of 634
guys:
recently my xm4 started sounding terrible when used with spotify--boomy and hollow, with little midrange presence--tidal, youtube etc. all sound undistorted and fine. i tried updating the sony app and also reinstalling the spotify app but get the same problem. could it be something in the spotify or sony settings? any helprful hints would be appreciated.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #609 of 634
Well, I just got the Dekoni Audio Choice Leather pads, and it significantly improves comfort. I think it does affect the frequency response and ANC, but I don't use these enough to really tell a difference. Going on a flight next week, will get to test ANC then.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #610 of 634
Well, I just got the Dekoni Audio Choice Leather pads, and it significantly improves comfort. I think it does affect the frequency response and ANC, but I don't use these enough to really tell a difference. Going on a flight next week, will get to test ANC then.
Crap, now I wish I had gone with the standard black color on the headphones instead of that midnight blue color. The stock pads are garbage but I'm not sure I could stomach either black or gray on the blue.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #611 of 634
Crap, now I wish I had gone with the standard black color on the headphones instead of that midnight blue color. The stock pads are garbage but I'm not sure I could stomach either black or gray on the blue.
Yeah, well if you value ANC at all, keep in mind that those pads noticeably reduce the ANC effectiveness.

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #612 of 634
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #614 of 634
I waited forever for these. Tried in store but never got them. Till now. Guess i read all the reviews saying the 3's and 4's were similar sounding. They are not. Its not till you have both in house you really know.

I'm unsure if i want to keep or return them. I got them from Amazon. On paper its a list of what we may have been looking for. Multipoint connection. More detail, less bass and possibly more comfort?

I think tho the upgrades are nice. The sound is where i like the upgrade to be. I find them lacking that fat bass and a bit hollow. Maybe the recipe was too good with the 3's. Maybe thats why the 5's exist. Try and try again. I have the Airpods Max (and many others) they have cracking detail and a tight bass. Bit spoiled maybe.

I'll keep trying, maybe run them in. I have till the 31st to decide on a return. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back