Sony WF-1000XM5
Sep 17, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #586 of 1,051
I'm curious if people are prioritizing fit over the risk of ear wax getting in the nozzles. A lot of these tips I keep reading don't have a protective mesh. That's a deal breaker for me personally.
Probably so.
I followed tip back in thread and use a piece of material cut out of stockings, held in across the nozzles with the tips.

Works for me with my Spinfit tips. Cut to right size, looks fine.
Not a bad idea.

Another idea is to buy the stick on nozzle mesh they sell for diy IEM builds to do the same job.

Screenshot_20230917-154730.png

Hopefully the new tips I ordered off AE show up and sound good/fit well.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #587 of 1,051
I followed tip back in thread and use a piece of material cut out of stockings, held in across the nozzles with the tips.

Works for me with my Spinfit tips. Cut to right size, looks fine.
Do you have an EQ setting for the XM5 that makes the sound closer to IER-Z1_R

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #589 of 1,051
I upgraded from the XM4 to the XM5. Really happy with the upgrade overall: including sound, noise cancellation, comfort and battery life.
I don't personally think that the new model sounds worse- I am using LDAC through my Z Fold 5.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #590 of 1,051
Are there any difference in sound between source? Like from walkman compared to phone?

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #591 of 1,051
Are there any difference in sound between source? Like from walkman compared to phone?
Not for me.

LDAC 990 out of my Sony A307 (using DIRECT) sounds same as LDAC 990 out of my S23+

With the Walkman DAP you can do EQ/effects over BT if you want.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #592 of 1,051
Probably so.

Not a bad idea.

Another idea is to buy the stick on nozzle mesh they sell for diy IEM builds to do the same job.

Hopefully the new tips I ordered off AE show up and sound good/fit well.

Problem I see with these is the mesh takes up a lot of surface area so loosing a large % of air volume that you don't use going the stockings material route. Also, have to be exact same size as the nozzle.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #593 of 1,051
Not for me.

LDAC 990 out of my Sony A307 (using DIRECT) sounds same as LDAC 990 out of my S23+

With the Walkman DAP you can do EQ/effects over BT if you want.

I think with Samsung S23, it should be like with my Z Fold5 .. being able to get a perfect PEQ with PowerampEQ or even Wavelet over BT.... which is far better than my WM1A limited EQ.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #594 of 1,051
Do you have an EQ setting for the XM5 that makes the sound closer to IER-Z1_R

Won’t be able to emulate the Z1R but I’m currently using these custom eq settings over the stock.

From left to right on the eq panel:
0 +1 -2 +1 +3
Clear bass +3

Gives me a little bit more lift and oomph. Use custom 2 for this as it allows u to quickly toggle and compare the flat curve vs your eq. Works for me for pop and orchestral tracks.

I would say that the xm5 are just a little bit more refined than APP2 and generally most of the major brand TWs are quite decent I.e Apple Samsung Sony.

I doubt we will see any major improvements in TWs earbuds as it will spike up prices too much.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #595 of 1,051
Won’t be able to emulate the Z1R but I’m currently using these custom eq settings over the stock.

0 +1 -2 +1 +3
Clear bass +3

Gives me a little bit more lift and oomph. Use custom 2 for this as it allows u to quickly toggle and compare the flat curve vs your eq. Works for me for pop and orchestral tracks.

I would say that the xm5 are just a little bit more refined than APP2 and generally most of the major brand TWs are quite decent I.e Apple Samsung Sony.

I doubt we will see any major improvements in TWs earbuds as it will spike up prices too much.

Thank you, even better that you placed the info as text, as o am blind and the screen reader is ynable to navigate text in images

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #596 of 1,051

0 +1 -2 +1 +3
Clear bass +3

One thing though, flat EQ is not the same as EQ off.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #597 of 1,051
One thing though, flat EQ is not the same as EQ off.
  • Flat = if a song has a preset EQ set in the metadata, it will use that preset, otherwise it does not use any EQ
  • Off = the EQ is not used at all

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #598 of 1,051
  • Flat = if a song has a preset EQ set in the metadata, it will use that preset, otherwise it does not use any EQ
  • Off = the EQ is not used at all

I guess it depends on what music app you're using, the metadata EQ will be applied by that app. I'm pretty sure that metadata info doesn't get to the buds, except maybe for the song title and album.

I thought flat EQ means EQ on in the Headphones app, but with all bands on 0.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #599 of 1,051
I thought flat EQ means EQ on in the Headphones app, but with all bands on 0.
i read it in another forum but yours is maybe also true.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #600 of 1,051
got mine today and it connected smoothly without any hiccup. nothing short of what i expected from big brands like sony.

only 30% power left in the buds and a bit more than 50% for the case. the fit is a bit loss though the app still says i got a good fit. isolation is ok and the anc fews but more natural than the old xm3/xm4. it's really remarkable the case is so small (even a bit smaller than ze3000!) ldac connection is much more stable than the demo unit in sony store but still a few very brief signal interruption during my dinner in a restaurant (which never happened with xm4). sound is thoroughly enjoyable with less bass than xm4. at the street price in japan, it's worth considering for those looking for a pair of good all-round TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back