Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #2,165 of 3,005
I was going to buy the SP360 but I couldnt find any in the United Kingdom, so the Xelastec was the 2nd choice.. I might try some Crystals sometime as they sound pretty good also. But Im quite happy with the Xelastec's atm and getting the 1 size smaller for the left ear seems to have fixed the non folding of the tip and feels/fits the same as the larger tip.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #2,166 of 3,005
Recent owner of the XM4s here. This has been mentioned before but they have a serious volume limitation, and I'm not a loud listener. I'm using android and have unlinked my volume in the developer options. You can only go to around 75% in the Sony app for the buds before the sound quality becomes unlistenable. Not only tonal changes start then but much worse, dynamic compression is also applied. This must be some kind of bad joke from Sony... I'm at 100% volume in android and around that 75% Mark in the Xm4 and its just enough. I can't blast out which I like to do from time to time for short moments. Very disappointing.

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,167 of 3,005
I was going to buy the SP360 but I couldnt find any in the United Kingdom, so the Xelastec was the 2nd choice.. I might try some Crystals sometime as they sound pretty good also. But Im quite happy with the Xelastec's atm and getting the 1 size smaller for the left ear seems to have fixed the non folding of the tip and feels/fits the same as the larger tip.
What is the isolation like Compared to the stock tips and fit. I noticed I need something in between medium and large tips. I like the stock tips but are so fiddly to get In.

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,168 of 3,005
What is the isolation like Compared to the stock tips and fit. I noticed I need something in between medium and large tips. I like the stock tips but are so fiddly to get In.
The isolation isnt as good but not bad and the Xelastec tips has made the sound warmer with more bass for me, but other people says these tips doesn't change the sound at all from the stock tips... The large Xelastec tips seems smaller to me as they are much, much easier to get in the ears compared to the Sony's large foam tips,, but others say the Xelastec's are larger in size than the sony's tips... But if you buy them from amazon, you can return them for a full refund if they don't fit .

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,169 of 3,005
Recent owner of the XM4s here. This has been mentioned before but they have a serious volume limitation, and I'm not a loud listener. I'm using android and have unlinked my volume in the developer options. You can only go to around 75% in the Sony app for the buds before the sound quality becomes unlistenable. Not only tonal changes start then but much worse, dynamic compression is also applied. This must be some kind of bad joke from Sony... I'm at 100% volume in android and around that 75% Mark in the Xm4 and its just enough. I can't blast out which I like to do from time to time for short moments. Very disappointing.
Your comment is quite interesting. When most people say that an IEM doesn’t get loud enough they mean that literally the volume is limited. You are saying that there are significant sound quality changes when the volume gets above a certain level. As you no doubt know, our perception of sound is highly dependent on volume, so even drivers that can keep up with the volume demands sound different. But it would seem you are used to listening at high volume and would already expect this. Much, much earlier in this thread there were some observations and frequency response graphs that pointed out a change in the sound of these IEMs between normal and very loud volume, so maybe you are experiencing this effect.

By the way, I am sure you don’t need the advice, but… Really, take care of your ears. It may seem that your hearing is great and indestructible, but… life is long and you should get to enjoy all your senses for the time you are given.

I hope you are able to find a capable TWS that checks all the boxes for you!

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,170 of 3,005
By the way, I am sure you don’t need the advice, but… Really, take care of your ears. It may seem that your hearing is great and indestructible, but… life is long and you should get to enjoy all your senses for the time you are given.

I hope you are able to find a capable TWS that checks all the boxes for you!
Thanks for the adivce, you are absolutely right. But just to clarify, my usual listening volume on the go is at around 70 dBA. The XM4 just reaches that, without headroom for more unless you are willing to take sacrifices in SQ. From time to time i go up in volume to about 75-80dBA for a maybe 30-60 seconds, can't do that with the XM4. So my volume is not extreme levels, that would give me a headache quickly :D I really like the way the XM4 sounds and out of curiousity i ordered Spinfits CP360 for them. So in the end, maybe the XM4 will help me loose that bad habbit of boosting the volume too much to enjoy my music :wink:

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,171 of 3,005
Thanks for the adivce, you are absolutely right. But just to clarify, my usual listening volume on the go is at around 70 dBA. The XM4 just reaches that, without headroom for more unless you are willing to take sacrifices in SQ. From time to time i go up in volume to about 75-80dBA for a maybe 30-60 seconds, can't do that with the XM4. So my volume is not extreme levels, that would give me a headache quickly :D I really like the way the XM4 sounds and out of curiousity i ordered Spinfits CP360 for them. So in the end, maybe the XM4 will help me loose that bad habbit of boosting the volume too much to enjoy my music :wink:
I’m at the most at about 50% volume from my iPhone and that only on planes, otherwise I’m more like 40% but I have no idea what that equates to in dB. This is plenty loud enough for me

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #2,172 of 3,005
I’m at the most at about 50% volume from my iPhone and that only on planes, otherwise I’m more like 40% but I have no idea what that equates to in dB. This is plenty loud enough for me
Problem is it depends on what source your using. As I noticed Spotify is the lowest volume as I need to hit about 70% to get a good volume but the same song on apple iTunes i am at about 50% to 55% and again same song with my own music I put on my Iphone is about 45% to 50% which is the same song.

I don’t use Spotify any more and use iTunes or my own music and hit about 45% to 55% depending on the music.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,173 of 3,005
The isolation isnt as good but not bad and the Xelastec tips has made the sound warmer with more bass for me, but other people says these tips doesn't change the sound at all from the stock tips... The large Xelastec tips seems smaller to me as they are much, much easier to get in the ears compared to the Sony's large foam tips,, but others say the Xelastec's are larger in size than the sony's tips... But if you buy them from amazon, you can return them for a full refund if they don't fit .

herd people say the spin fits or the SpiralDots: seem to be the best for isolation and sound but can not seem to find these here in the uk. There’s have said to try and use

Sednaatfit
Spinfits
Spindots
Final Audio Black+Black/Red Silicone Type

the SpiralDots are expensive here in the uk as Amazon send them from the USA but not sure on the size as I need a size that is larger than the medium stock tips but maybe a little smaller than the large or same size as the large as I have different ear size.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #2,174 of 3,005
herd people say the spin fits or the SpiralDots: seem to be the best for isolation and sound but can not seem to find these here in the uk. There’s have said to try and use

Sednaatfit
Spinfits
Spindots
Final Audio Black+Black/Red Silicone Type

the SpiralDots are expensive here in the uk as Amazon send them from the USA but not sure on the size as I need a size that is larger than the medium stock tips but maybe a little smaller than the large or same size as the large as I have different ear size.
Foam is much thicker than silicon or TPE tips, so naturally the isolation wont be as good, but what really bothers me with silicon tips is the lack of bass and warmth that you only get with foam tips.. But with the TPE tips from Xelastec, you keep all that bass and warmth, and in my case I gets a warmer sound with the Xelastec tips which I really like, as these buds sound like full sized headphones now as the sound is simply amazing coming from these tiny buds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BR467F4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back