Sony Walkman Z Owner's Appreciation Thread
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WayTooCrazy

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's PLEASE stay on topic this time.  If we have anything to discuss outside of the "Z"... let's do it through PM or something.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my "Z" as of late.  I've tried multiple headphones and cables with them...  Here is what I've tried so far.

Walkman Z 1060 US Version (32GB)
- Stock earbuds
- Klipsch Image S4
- UE Triple Fi 10
- Heir Audio 4.a

I've come to appreciate the "non" ruler flat response from the headphone out (it really does sound like a tube amp to me).  I can also appreciate the near ruler flat output from the Line Out.  Awesome product as a whole.  Especially to give you a choice of tube like sound from headphone, or roll your own type of sound from line out.  Great job SONY!  Now, let me program that damn Walkman button and next time... give us physical (back-lit) buttons and I'd be extremely happy!

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 3
So, someone asked me the question... "I have a Clip+ and looking at the Sony Z or iPod Touch (32gb) or Classic, which should I get"?  I thought about it a bit... and this is my take.

A:  First and foremost, the Clip+ is a nice little MP3 player.  I personally have the Zip that I use for the gym and to take around with me.  If you enjoy the music out of your Clip+, then the Z will be more of the same, just better.  I feel the Clip+ and Zip have a "warm" signature.  The iPods have a more sterile (flat) signature.  The warmest that I've used of the iPods so far has to be the iPod 5.5G.  I do feel the iPod and Classic are nice MP3s.  You just either have to EQ them, or choose headphones that give you more of the sound signature that your looking for.  

When I decided to upgrade from my iPod 5.5G, I first went to the Classic.  I enjoyed the clean presentation of the classic.  When I tried the Line-Out on the 5.5G and the Classic, I felt the Classic benefitted the least from the line-out, as it was already pretty clean.  What bothered me most with the Classic was the HDD 'whirr' that I heard.  I listen at low to medium volumes, and I could still hear the HDD being accessed.  I then picked up a pair of UE TF10, and it sounded very nice with both the 5.5G and Classic.  HDD got to me though, so I swapped that for an iPod Touch 4G (32GB).  Sound wise, it was the same thing as the Classic to me.  So it was pretty clean and was nice.  I ended up amping all the iPod with an iBasso D-Zero to the TF10.  Then, I found the Walkman Z thread, and I just had to try it.  So, I took a leap of faith (as I'd have to mail-order, since no local Sony stores in my area).  I'm happy I did.  The headphone out on the Z is colored, no doubt about it... but it was colored in a way that made me constantly smile.  It sounded like a tube amp to me.  So, there I was... my "tubey" Z and my TF10.  I then upgraded my cable to a UP-OCC Copper cable that I built... sound was even better... and a little more like a tube sound.  Now, I'm LOVING the Z.

I decided to try my hand at making a Line-Out for the Z, and purchased a Fiio line out cable and a "no name" brand.  I re-built the "no name" and instantly, details that were 'glossed' over from the headphone out were there.  It had just a 'hint' of the tube sound (going through the D-Zero mind you), but it was quite clean.  I ended up just using the headphone out (and selling the D-Zero), as I enjoy the headphone out more at the moment.  This may change, when my Customs come in and I want 'cleaner' and less 'colored' output, but for now.  I'm quite happy.

So, to answer this person's question... Go with the iPods if you want a clean presentation, if a bit sterile.  Go with the Z if you want a more 'musical' if not colored sound.  If you want both... still go with the Z, and amp it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back