Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #841 of 1,079
Before covid I travelled 100-150 night per yer so the 1Z was a life saver to have on location all those nights
Agree. I used to fly most of the time with the 1Z or the 1A. Funnily, the reason I will be asked to take it out at airport security is because the machines cannot read through it and so I had to show it was just a DAP. :)

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #842 of 1,079
Agree. I used to fly most of the time with the 1Z or the 1A. Funnily, the reason I will be asked to take it out at airport security is because the machines cannot read through it and so I had to show it was just a DAP. :)
So in a way the thick PURE copper case does work and not just blink-blink ? 🤔

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #843 of 1,079
My heavily modified 1A does sound better than my 1Z so it accompanies me to work daily but these days my Ibasso 300MaX Ti gets the most hours. If the 3MAX TI ever come up for sale, buy it please….you won’t be disappointed. It is truly a special gem and nearly as impressive sounding as the DMP-Z1 and clearly better sounding than the TA-ZH1ES.

Any more impressions of the new walkman? A friend in Singapore told me yesterday that the 1ZM2 sound really good to him with impressive soundstaging with more textured bass.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #844 of 1,079
WM1A/Z M2 seems to have a Battery Care function now - ZX500/A100 doesn't have it.
well if its the same system they have with their Xperia phones, id trust that system, I've been using my XZ premium since it came out and battery is still solid for me. interestingly, those Xperias also have an Ultra stamina mode, basically reset the phone and disable all background app completely, and only allow usage of core apps, like phone, messages, contact, music etc. if it also exist on the Walkman, we can just turn that on and doesn't care about battery life, at all.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #845 of 1,079
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #846 of 1,079
interestingly, those Xperias also have an Ultra stamina mode, basically reset the phone and disable all background app completely, and only allow usage of core apps, like phone, messages, contact, music etc. if it also exist on the Walkman, we can just turn that on and doesn't care about battery life, at all.
Oh this is interesting. I know this mode I think all of my phones have it. I just didn't know that it's available on the walkmans. This will be in my testing list in my next trip to the store.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #848 of 1,079
My heavily modified 1A does sound better than my 1Z so it accompanies me to work daily but these days my Ibasso 300MaX Ti gets the most hours. If the 3MAX TI ever come up for sale, buy it please….you won’t be disappointed. It is truly a special gem and nearly as impressive sounding as the DMP-Z1 and clearly better sounding than the TA-ZH1ES.

Any more impressions of the new walkman? A friend in Singapore told me yesterday that the 1ZM2 sound really good to him with impressive soundstaging with more textured bass.

A comparison to the DMP-Z1 got my attention & I was reading a review on here yesterday about the DX240. Never purchased Ibasso. So you can no longer get the 300 model ?? Have you heard the 240, or could recommend any of their available DAP’s ?

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #849 of 1,079
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #850 of 1,079
Please take a pictures of both PCB from both variants! Thanks very much

They are the same, 100%.

Sony_NW_WM1ZM2_NW_WM1AM2_3-1024x576.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #851 of 1,079
I never had problems with the 1Z at airport security. But then I'm TSA PreCheck.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #852 of 1,079
I see many of you saying that the WM1A/Z aren't powerful enough to properly drive high impedance headphones (such as the HD6XX series).

So... are there any full size headphones that can be properly driven by the WM1A/Z?

For example, the Focal Clear seems to be relative efficient.

I guess I'm asking if there are any full size dynamic and/or planar headphones that are efficient enough to be properly driven by these daps?

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #853 of 1,079
I see many of you saying that the WM1A/Z aren't powerful enough to properly drive high impedance headphones (such as the HD6XX series).

So... are there any full size headphones that can be properly driven by the WM1A/Z?

I guess I'm asking if there are any full size dynamic and/or planar headphones that are efficient enough to be properly driven by these daps?
Sounds excellent with focal clear with balanced

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #854 of 1,079
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #855 of 1,079
“Properly” though is a small difference between OK and great. OK is still OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back