Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 13, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #811 of 1,079
I wonder about the hearing loss with age thing. Most humans don't make the most of their potential be it physically or mentally, unaware of their poor posture or movements, unaware of their surroundings or lacking focus in performing tasks etc.
If you don't use it you lose it/ where focus goes, energy flows - could it be that the deterioration for a person of body and/or mind could be postponed or offset by a hobby or sport etc activating a muscle or part of the brain that keeps the energy flowing and a rejuvenation effect?
A chef has a heightened sense of taste, a piano tuner one of hearing, an athlete their fitness and muscles that may take them well beyond their 'expiry date', an elderly person with a sharp mind perhaps because they read or do the crossword keeping their brain active.
Obviously there are many different factors from genes to diet and environmental and lifestyle factors that impact us, but could it be that some of us through our passion of music and therefore attention to the fine details that an average person wouldn't perceive allow us to keep our hearing acuity?
Just a theory.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #813 of 1,079
I’ll be 60 this year and had my hearing tested last year and I can hear up to nearly 16kHz but with a noticable dip on my right ear around 5-6kHz as a result of a small explosion when I was a child
There is an audio club where I live and most of the club members are the retirees (65 and ups). They may not hear as well as they used to but they still enjoy fine audio just as much as anyone of us. Most chief audio engineers are in their lates 50s if not early 60s and their products sound awesome. Mr. Koji Nageno is in his 50s and I am sure he has a final say on most Sony personal audio products.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #814 of 1,079
Who complained about the bad naming of NW-WM1ZM2 again? To Sony it's "challenge accepted" as at Sony we strives for higher summits everyday. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the new custom IEM made for the 1ZM2, in true keyboard slamming style:
XJE-MHRWM1M2
SmartSelect_20220214-101939_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #815 of 1,079
I wonder about the hearing loss with age thing. Most humans don't make the most of their potential be it physically or mentally, unaware of their poor posture or movements, unaware of their surroundings or lacking focus in performing tasks etc.
If you don't use it you lose it/ where focus goes, energy flows - could it be that the deterioration for a person of body and/or mind could be postponed or offset by a hobby or sport etc activating a muscle or part of the brain that keeps the energy flowing having a rejuvenation effect?
I like your theory but as audiophiles think our more prevalent danger is losing it because we use it too much, in reference to sustained high-volume listening.

Although it would not surprise if scientists prove a lifetime of audiophile "active listening" helps strengthen discernment of fine details. You have to know what to listen for.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #816 of 1,079
I don't see how there's so many salty folks in here. The OG 1Z and 1ZM2 are powerful enough to power literally any headphone Sony makes to date. Sony doesn't give a crap about powering your Susvara or over ear planars out of their portable player. It's a portable player ***! I think a lot of you people let volume headroom trick you into thinking it has better dynamics or whatever other nonsense y'all think of. "Oh more power increases soundstage", nah bro using a 2-channel loudspeaker setup increases soundstage.

Anyway, I am convinced that volume headroom causes a bias that makes a lot of you imagine all sorts of BS.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #817 of 1,079
I don't see how there's so many salty folks in here. The OG 1Z and 1ZM2 are powerful enough to power literally any headphone Sony makes to date. Sony doesn't give a crap about powering your Susvara or over ear planars out of their portable player. It's a portable player ***! I think a lot of you people let volume headroom trick you into thinking it has better dynamics or whatever other nonsense y'all think of. "Oh more power increases soundstage", nah bro using a 2-channel loudspeaker setup increases soundstage.

Anyway, I am convinced that volume headroom causes a bias that makes a lot of you imagine all sorts of BS.
I think people want it to be more powerful so they can use the new walkman for headphones such as the HD800S or other harder to drive full size headphones. I am in this camp as well and I absolutely love the S-master pro design. $4000 is a lot to ask for the WM1ZM2.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #818 of 1,079
yes, some times I does. However, headroom, understood as pool of power, is also good, because different headphones present different loads at the same voltage, meaning they draw from an available pool of power all of the current they need to operate at a given voltage. The bigger the power pool is, the better they are driven at a given volume. Better drivability means better control, grip, damping etc.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #819 of 1,079

So long as the UK version drives my SE846's and K10U's to decent volumes I'll ne happy. Never get on with Headphones, just IEM's.

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #820 of 1,079
So long as the UK version drives my SE846's and K10U's to decent volumes I'll ne happy. Never get on with Headphones, just IEM's.
The S-master design is so unique and very impressive sounding; hence, I would like a little more power for my full size headphones especially the HD800S. When that day comes, I imagine myself selling all of my desktop system and just use one Sony Walkman to drive all my headphones/earphones. I'm ready to pull the trigger if the 1AMK2 is available today though despite the same power output. The 1ZMK2 is just too heavy and impractical for me to use portably plus the $4k price tag is just too much for any DAPs. Portable audio products are so overpriced these days and I really miss the late 1990s and early 2000s periods when you get more value for your money buying audio equipments.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #821 of 1,079
The S-master design is so unique and very impressive sounding; hence, I would like a little more power for my full size headphones especially the HD800S. When that day comes, I imagine myself selling all of my desktop system and just use one Sony Walkman to drive all my headphones/earphones. I'm ready to pull the trigger if the 1AMK2 is available today though despite the same power output. The 1ZMK2 is just too heavy and impractical for me to use portably plus the $4k price tag is just too much for any DAPs. Portable audio products are so overpriced these days and I really miss the late 1990s and early 2000s periods when you get more value for your money buying audio equipments.
I loved my Red Wine iMod and Xin SuperMacro SE amp

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #822 of 1,079
Interesting it shows great battery life for "other Apps" too. You'd get 6-8 at best with ZX507. 40hrs with Sony Music App on an Android device is also amazing! (about 19 with the ZX507).

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(OTHER MUSIC APP)MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hrs

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #823 of 1,079
This is almost twice the size of the ZX507 though.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #824 of 1,079
According to the photos, no longer possible to attach a wrist strap on the new models. It will be necessary to redouble our attention to avoid the fall of these precious devices. Sony considers this accessory too old-fashioned, or that users are less clumsy in 2022?

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #825 of 1,079
The Sony Sound Signature is not a good match for Sennheiser headphones anyway imho.

I tested the HD800S and owned the HD820 for a short time and they both sounded _much_ better on the FiiO M11 Plus. Sony DAPs have been designed with Sony Headphones/Earphones in mind.

Even with the TA-ZH1ES (1200mW @ 32Ω) i thought that both HD8XX performed bad. The sound was compressed and mushy.

They sounded much more refined and much more detailed with the M11 Plus. In the end, those are rather cold and analytic Headphones and they are not well served with the Sony Sound Signature. They need a flat/neutral/analytic source to shine and THX AAA Amps are the best for hat.

So before spending 1600€ with the regret that 250mW@16Ω might not be enough, spend 700€ for 588mw@32Ω. Its 4x the Power and the Sound Signature is the perfect match for the HD8XX

I personally, but that is just my opinion, don't see a point in getting an Sony Walkman owning Sennheiser Headphones/Earphones. Sony, yes. Final too. FitEar (especially the TG335) profit too, but a _lot_ of Earphones and Headphones need a much more neutral source to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back