Sony SRF-M97 -- any owners?
Aug 5, 2005 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Any owners of this radio? Does the radio "beep" with each change of the station? The manual doesn't state the radio beeps but also has no instructions for disabeling the possible beep, either.

Not sure how the spec'ed 2mw per channel is going to sound.

Paul

Aug 8, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello,

The SRF-M97 is a decent radio.

General:
The SRF-M97 is larger and looks "chunker" than the SRF-M10. The M97 has a volume knob while the M10 has digital volume settings. The M97 volume control works well and has good channel balance tracking, even at the quietest positions. It takes 1 AAA battery. There are slide switches for "Hold", "Local/DX" and "Mega Bass". Operation is quite similar to the M10. Fifteen presets for FM and 5 for AM. There is a beep with each action of the tuning jog control and the "Mode" button. The beep doesn't seem to be quite as loud as the M10's. The display is the of the "reverse LCD" as used in the M10. In strong light the display is quite readable, in dim light the display is a bit hard to read. It would have been nice if Sony incorporated a backlight that would turn on when the tuning jog is utilized.

Sound:
FM: With a clear, strong signal this is a nice sounding radio. Detailed highs but not etched or irritating. The bass is a bit thin but with the bass boost turned on, the sound has more weight without becomming obnoxiously so. The bass boost balances out the sound quite well. When done right, these portable radios sound remarkably distortion free.

AM: The wide filter allows AM stations to be clearly understood. Again, the bass boost added an lttle more heft to speech.

The 2mw per channel puts out a surprising amount of volume. No earthquake here but did not have to max out the volume to get to uncomfortable levels. With the Sennheiser PX-100 the output is hiss free. I did hear a bit of bakground hiss with the Sennheiser PX-500.

Reception:
FM: Decent. As with the M10 strong local stations can still interfere with some weaker local stations but overall, the reception is clearer and more reliable than the M10 in my view. Selectivity, for what it is, is OK. When tuned off channel, the images of other stations begin to bleed though so ultimate selectivity is hard to determine. Still, clearly received local stations could be separated OK. Was able to load up the fifteen presets with fifteen local stations that could be heard clearly. While the "Local" setting of the DX/Local isn't as heavy handed as the M10, its action, for me, still weakens local stations too much.

AM: Pretty good. Not the most sensitive of AM radios as it probably has a very small ferrite antenna but somewhat distant stations could be received and local stations could be tuned with no problem. The selectivity is pretty wide (probably about 30khz) but this isn't a DX machine anyway so the trade off is decent, easily understood AM sound. Was easily able to load the five AM settings with stations. Could have used five more AM presets.

Conclusion:
Not without it's reception faults and certainly not a DX champ but with sparkling sound, overall, the SRF-M97 is a decent ultra-portable radio.

I'm keeping it!

Paul

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 9
A "DX champ" is a radio that can receive long-distance stations. Hopefully it will receive them well. An excellent, portable "DX champ" is the Degen DE-1103 (or Kaito KA-1103 in the USA).

DX is an old, short term for distance, much like "R U" for "are you" is today.

Paul

Aug 10, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 9
How does it compare to the previous model (m95)?

Also, is it still made of flimsy plastic? I want metal again like the m55!
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
A "DX champ" is a radio that can receive long-distance stations. Hopefully it will receive them well. An excellent, portable "DX champ" is the Degen DE-1103 (or Kaito KA-1103 in the USA).

DX is an old, short term for distance, much like "R U" for "are you" is today.

Paul

ah I see. Thanks for that! I'm always learning on this forum...

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypton
How does it compare to the previous model (m95)?

Also, is it still made of flimsy plastic? I want metal again like the m55!
icon10.gif

I don't have the M95, sorry. The M97 is made of plastic although it doesn't seem flimsy to me.

The M97 looks like Sony took bits from the M95 and M10 and put them together in a new package.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back