Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD Player Mods
Jun 26, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 9
Acid,

While I am sure that my SCD-333ES could sound better with such mods, I am so happy with it as it is that I (a) can't see myself wanting to spend another $350 on it, as it would make my $550 deal-of-the-year feel like not as much of a deal, and (b) don't want to ship around this tank-of-a-unit and have it handled, bumped, dropped, etc., any more than it already has been on its circuitous path between Japan and my desk.

As a digital source, I've heard nothing better at $1000 or below (and I tried a bunch of 'em), and, for now, that'll be good enough for me.

But if anyone else here with a 333 can report on this mod (or similar mods), I'd certainly like to read about it too.

-- Jude --

Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Just had a question for owners of Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD players. I was wondering if anybody saw this ad for modifications on Audiogon.

Jun 26, 2001 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm very close to ordering a SCD-C333ES...and if I did, I would probably get the mods. That guy lives about 5 mins from my house! I could go watch him do the mods
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Based on the parts description, it seems like it's a worthy upgrade at very reasonable charge. Of course, you can spend 1/3 of the money (plus time) DIY since Mr. Wright already listed things to do.

Jun 27, 2001 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Dan Wright has a great rep; I've never heard his stuff but some frequent contributors to this site use it and love it.

I modify CD players myself (not for sale, just for my use). Looking over his list of mods, I can't think of anything else that one would do to a CD player to upgrade it. Also, looking at his parts spec - Black Gates and Auricaps and opamps -- I'm not sure I could even get the necessary parts together to do it myself for what he's charging.

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 9
If anybody is thinking about the mods, I'll say right now that Dan Wright is an excellent person to deal with. I had him do his mods on my MSB Link Dac. Very professional, quick e-mail responses, and all-around nice guy.

Aug 1, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Just had a question for owners of Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD players. I was wondering if anybody saw this ad for modifications on Audiogon.

The site seems to be deleted. Can anyone comment more specifically about what the modifications are and/or who does them?

I'm thinking about buying this player. I am hoping it will be an improvement over my Arcam Alpha 5 (which has been a very pleasant, reliable player and I'm not sure other than the price and hype over the Sony, why I'm thinking about replacing it). I've never heard SACD and not many classical titles that I'm interested in are available. I guess I just have the audio-spending-for-improvements bug.

Do people generally feel this is one of the best cd players available for under $1000? I've also heard good things about the Musical Fidelity. I like my MF A220 amp, but then the MF cdp is right at $1000 as opposed to nearly half the price for the Sony.

Aug 1, 2001 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 9
holderlin,

I auditioned the Arcam Diva CD72, Arcam 7se, Rega Planet 2000, and several less expensive players, and the 333 was the best of the bunch to my ears, even just with redbook CD's. The Arcam was my favorite otherwise (I liked it quite a bit better than the Rega Planet 2000).

I haven't heard every CD player under a $1000, but based on the players I did listen to, I'd be confident in saying that the 333 is certainly one of the best under $1000 available, and the best under $1000 that I heard.

Regarding the modifications site: I believe you can also get to his site directly by going to http://www.modwright.com. I read very good things about his mods on Audio Asylum, and his reputation seems to be very solid. I'll not likely go for these mods (I'd just as soon hold on to my unit under warranty as is for the next year or so until a better SACD/CD player comes out for under $1000, which is bound to happen). But if you're budget is $1000 or under, and you don't mind losing the Sony warranty, then Dan Wright seems to be (from what I've read) a good guy to work with.

Aug 1, 2001 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 9
But you know jude, as soon as you buy your next generation SACD player Mr. Wright is gonna offer a mod for that one as well (and make it sound even better)
And again you'll have full warranty at that time....
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back