sony s739 vs s639
Nov 7, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to all who have used the both, the S63X series is the best yet. It supposedly sounds better than the [size=medium]S729[/size] also, and doesn't have that useless noise canceling feature.

Hey nywytboy
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean the S7[size=medium]3[/size]9 or the A7[size=medium]2[/size]9??
The A72x is the same as the A82x (except the first doesn't have Bluetooth.) Are you talking about the 'S' or 'A' series? If Sony gave 'normal' names to their daps, it wouldn't be this confusing
confused_face_2.gif

Is there an S7[size=medium]2[/size]9?

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 28
Sony really needs a new naming scheme. It might be even worse then how ATI and Nvidia name their graphic cards if not at last as bad. One would figure the model with the higher number would be the best one.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

According to all who have used the both, the S63X series is the best yet. It supposedly sounds better than the S729 also, and doesn't have that useless noise canceling feature.

now if only sony shipped both models to australia so i could compare...

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by diab0lik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now if only sony shipped both models to australia so i could compare...

I've yet to see the 16gb model in the US myself, too bad, cause I refuse to get any DAP under 16gb.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't tell the difference at all between my 808 and 639. In fact, I returned the 639 because it was exactly the same!! I prefer the warmer sounding 829 and the slightly bigger soundstage to both of the other models.

Well, I happen to have both A808 and S638 and I can tell they are different in some noticeable ways. Sound signature wise, they are the same, but S630 series has more punch and you can really feel those deep bass from this player. Also, S630 has upped high frequency. It's not obvious if you use headphones like TF10s since they have pronounced high already. I pair S638 with SE530s and it really bring life into those high recessed phones. However, I feel S638 is more aggressive than A808 and sometimes I can't tolerate its sound when pairing with other phones like EX90. Just my 0.02
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bestnaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I happen to have both A808 and S638 and I can tell they are different in some noticeable ways. Sound signature wise, they are the same, but S630 series has more punch and you can really feel those deep bass from this player. Also, S630 has upped high frequency. It's not obvious if you use headphones like TF10s since they have pronounced high already. I pair S638 with SE530s and it really bring life into those high recessed phones. However, I feel S638 is more aggressive than A808 and sometimes I can't tolerate its sound when pairing with other phones like EX90. Just my 0.02
tongue.gif

Thanks for the info, since I have an A829, and I'm considering the S63X series myself (guess you can tell be the million or so post's I've made saying such). Now I have an idea, besides most just saying it sounds "Better", or just stating there's less static. The FM tuner is also a big plus for me, as I find that it's a feature I actually enjoy using, weekend mixes from the radio stations still are quite enjoyable. I do have 1 question, is it an over all better experience w/the S63X series? From all I've heard I believe it is. Since you've listened to more than 1 mp3 Walkman, would it be a player you'd recommend?

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Thanks for the info, since I have an A829, and I'm considering the S63X series myself (guess you can tell be the million or so post's I've made saying such). Now I have an idea, besides most just saying it sounds "Better", or just stating there's less static. The FM tuner is also a big plus for me, as I find that it's a feature I actually enjoy using, weekend mixes from the radio stations still are quite enjoyable. I do have 1 question, is it an over all better experience w/the S63X series? From all I've heard I believe it is. Since you've listened to more than 1 mp3 Walkman, would it be a player you'd recommend?

It's really a tough question if I were you. I got this player mainly because I want more battery life(30hr -> 45 hr) and I want drag and drop instead of Sonicstage. SensMe is a cool feature but not as great as I thought. It sometimes puts songs into wrong category and you can do nothing about it. Customiable Interface is also a big plus to me.

In short, yes, it's an overall better experience from A808 to S638.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

tongue.gif

Thats what i feared, the 618 i had was far to aggressive for me, i found it soooo fatiguing with certain music, got rid pronto.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #26 of 28
Hello all

Can someone who has heard both S639 and S739 clear something up for me?

How does the SQ compare if you plug ordinary headphones to the 739? It there any difference between that setup and the the same headphones with the 639?

I'm asking cause I will be using my Denon C700 headphones most of the time, but I could occasionally use the noise canceling feature as well (I'm aware that it only works with the included phones).

Thanks for any input

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 28
Should be no different. S730F has extra NC function. I might even say both has same hardware but different firmware since the real hardware different will be the NC earphone that come with S730F.

But i could be wrong.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

tongue.gif

Yes it does sound like sony has tweaked the sound of the S series, I love it because the e530 can always use a little treble boost. With my e530 the new sony sounds fuller than my 818 and richer not as thin, which I really like. I still feel that even with the slightly extended treble the 6xx/7xx sound more natural out of the box than the a818 at least with e530. I would bet once somebody finds the service menu code for the new walkman, sony has boosted a couple of freq. by default. Also another interesting thing I noticed is the hiss now gets louder as the volume is increased, just like an ipod does. Where before it was constant no matter what the volume level. I really do think sony has changed chipsets on the new model as I have no hiss with my e530 unless I really crank the volume up or turn the eq on. My 818 had hiss all the time, since I rarely use eq this is good news for me indeed.

As for difference betwix 6xx/7xx, I will tell you in a couple of days as I already have 7xx and just ordered 6xx. I expect none, but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back