Sony S-Series upgrade to Fuze?
Dec 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
with my pending JH13's I feel I should grace them with a new dap.

I have around £100 there or thereabouts to spend, which puts the X-Series and S9 out of my price range (and I feel I would be paying for extra features I just wouldn't use). I've previously owned a D2+ but sent it back, I didn't like the interface and the sound felt a bit on the cold side.

I've looked at the Teclast T51 but the battery life puts me off it.

So I've looked at either the Sony NWZ-S639 or the NWZ-S545. Which is better and will they offer better SQ than the Fuze?

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 7
If the S639 sounds the same as the A729/A829 like someone said it did before, I preferred the Fuze to the A729 with no EQ/flat EQ. But with EQ on it was possible to make the Sony sound better. Fuze is nice because the memory is unlimited due to Micro SD cards.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 7
oh ok really?! interesting indeedy. I do love my fuze I gotta say, I know its meant to have a good SQ but I thought the Sony's were a step up.
Well in that case I might look at a portable amp (I'm thinking iBasso T3D) and a new MicroSD card
biggrin.gif

edit: but the only thing I resent about amps is they're not always practical to use even if they are portable, because having two components to carry round instead of one is cumbersome (and lets face it..how on earth are you gonna strap a fuze to a portable amp due to it being small), so when you go Fuze sans amp, its like :-/ grrrreat..used to the amp sound now this poop

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with my pending JH13's I feel I should grace them with a new dap

I felt like that when I got my Ortofon e-Q7 recently and ended up buying the new Cowon i9 which is said to have comparable SQ to the S9. As a long time Fuze-user I would definitely rate the i9 a step up from the Fuze, especially due to the excellent and intriguing BBE Viva. I have never been into sound enhancements but this is the first really useful one I've come across. The only thing where the Fuze wins (on flat EQ) is bass, because the Cowon's bass rolls off in comparison.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Yea I looked at the i9, reasonably priced with all the bulk and extras cut out from the s9. But I just don't think cowon are for me, I didn't like the d2+ interface and the sound signature just didn't impress. But anyway due to some generous relations and their money giving for christmas ways, I may just end up with that X1050/X1060....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back