Sony Qualia vs HD800?
Apr 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone ever had the chance to hear both? I ask because by looks it looks like Sennheiser stole there design from Sony and they just used cheap plasticy materials to replicate this older design. Is there any similarity's in sound? I will read up more on the Sony Qualia it seems to be very rare that there has not been any really for sale 2nd hand. Are they about $2k?

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ask because by looks it looks like Sennheiser stole there design from Sony and they just used cheap plasticy materials to replicate this older design.

Woah. What makes you think that?

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 122
Quote:

So a Sony Qualia is about $4000 and the Sony R10 is about $5000.

bump that about 400-600 for qualia and r10 about 1.5k

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 122
Quote:

Anyone ever had the chance to hear both? I ask because by looks it looks like Sennheiser stole there design from Sony and they just used cheap plasticy materials to replicate this older design. Is there any similarity's in sound? I will read up more on the Sony Qualia it seems to be very rare that there has not been any really for sale 2nd hand. Are they about $2k?

Both headphones are mostly plastic and "cheap plasticy materials" could describe either one of them. The Qualia was $2.6K when it was in production and its market price has gone up since production ended years ago.

I currently own the Qualia and previously owned the HD800. There was not very much similarity in sound. The Qualia has a significantly greater tilt towards the treble along with more treble quantity. It's also relatively efficient (I don't know what its specs are, but it drives like an efficient headphone) whereas the HD800 is not.

Do you actually have the financial means to acquire either or both headphones or are you merely asking the theoretical question? The only valid way for you to determine which to buy would be to hear both of them, like at a meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this should be interesting...although the Qualia from my understanding uses no plastic parts, as its frame is made of magnesium and its headband is carbon fiber. The HD800 employs small amounts of plastic for various applications.

On the technicality, the materials may very well be those, my point was that the Qualia feels like it's plastic.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 122
this should be interesting...although the Qualia from my understanding uses no plastic parts, as its frame is made of magnesium and its headband is carbon fiber. The HD800 employs small amounts of plastic for various applications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the technicality, the materials may very well be those, my point was that the Qualia feels like it's plastic.
wink.gif

Point taken.
smile.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 122
I read the MSRP was 3.7 grand. The 2.6 must have been the street price. Don't forget about the 3 different sizes as well. The fit will make or break this headphone. These are my dream cans, but would have to come into some money. Still wouldn't pay over 3,000 for them. Maybe 2.3.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 122
As a layman, my understanding that the HD800 uses a newly designed ring radiator (new in the headphone world) to combat cone break up (thanks Tyll). To the best of my research, the Qualia does not use such a setup. This thread is instructive, especially this quote from jude:
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, the Qualia 010 (which I did have here for a few months) did not use a ring radiator driver (I have line-drawing cutaway of the Qualia 010 driver attached to this post).

Because their drivers have different layouts (not sure of the precise technical term), it would seem to me that the technology is unrelated.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 122
Have you ever heard them KBI? If so, what did you think? If not, how do you set random max prices you'd spend and call it a dream headphone?

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever heard them KBI? If so, what did you think? If not, how do you set random max prices you'd spend and call it a dream headphone?

No, I have not. You bring up a good point, a logical point. They are my dream dynamic can cause they are regarded by many to be the fastest, most detailed/resolving, along with a unbelievable clarity. I charish these 3 characteristics the most. And I love lots of treble energy, and a bigger sound stage, better bass and imaging then the SA5000, which they are often compared to and I'm set. I bought 95% of my headphones blindly, and didn't dislike any of them. Saying the Q10 is my dream headphone without hearing them, makes no sense at all. I agree with you. In reality, I'm more likely going with the HD800/T1/D7000.
Not to sound morbid, but for me to afford the Q10 someone in my family would have to die. And no headphone is worth that much.(inheritence money.)

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's two different things - the statement could be a judge of worth relative to other products on the market (value), and that concerns more the quality of the product. Or the statement could based on a personal financial judgment, where it has as much to do with the person - his financial situation and his willingness to pay - as with the quality of the product. It seems to me KBL is talking about the later.

Some of my notes on interpreting how people speak.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 122
@KBI:you should really get out to a meet and listen to a pair then. It really does seem to be what you're looking for and i'm sure you might really end up enjoying it, but its best for you and the sake of others to keep comments that lack points of experience away from discussions that look for valid insight. Also, its not Q10, but Q010 as in Qualia 010.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 122
It was theoretical but I could get either if I wanted to. I don't think Qualia is for me though. The build quality looks amazing I am surprised the feel can be described as plastic. Sounds like describing a Ferrari as cheap. Carbon fiber was more exotic when they came out. I have seen a couple a of HD800 on the for sale forums that already look like scratch and dent specials. I have another Stax coming and I think k1000 might be next on the list.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #15 of 122
Qualia are amazing headphones, even I never tried them through the right system, can only imagine how brilliant it may be, and as Asr stated, there is nothing common between the two.
The only problem I have with Qualia is their price tag, so, K1000 were cheaper, however, hmm, never mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back