Sony Qualia EXQ1
Jan 27, 2006 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
New thread because these are once again available on Audio Cubes

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...Earphones.html

Anyone think these are worth it or even something to think about? The EX71's were the most comfortable earphones I ever had and some tout these to have sound quality as good as the ety4P's. though I'm sure that is an overstatement I would really like to consider these in my next purchase. I was going to get the Shure E4's

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 9
Huh! I didn't know they made Qualia earbuds. Anybody heard these? What do they improve on the standard Sonys... I never liked the sound of those.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Are these just really expensive EX71s or something different? $269... good lord

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken
I ever had and some tout these to have sound quality as good as the ety4P's. though I'm sure that is an overstatement I would really like to consider these in my next purchase. I was going to get the Shure E4's

Definitely a gross overstatement. I like the EXQ1, I think they're a fantastic product. Sonically, do I put them in the same ship as the E4c (especially out of something synergistic with the E4c, such as the iPod Nano)? No way. E4c is in a different class.

But the EXQ1 has a nice pleasant sound to it - it really is for me a nicely refined EX71, with the same form factor. If you like the basic sound signature of the EX71, then go ahead. But remember you're getting a refined version of that, as opposed to a "true" audiophile level bud (i.e., still one-note bassy, not nearly as clear or detailed as the E4c).

Best,

-Jason

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 9
My gosh, Sony states the frequency range of these buds to be 5 - 24,000Hz. Is this even possible for buds like these? I mean, 5Hz is some seriously low frequency that even full sized subwoofers have trouble reproducing! At $269, they are far from cheap. Sometimes, I think that the whole Qualia brand is overated and far overpriced. They look nice though. To put these into context, the Audio-Technica ATH-CM7ti cost a "mere" $145.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 9
milk: that would be on the classic "lies, damn lies and headphone specifications" scale, where as long as it registers something you count it, never mind if it's -20dB compared to the response at 1000Hz.

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
milk: that would be on the classic "lies, damn lies and headphone specifications" scale, where as long as it registers something you count it, never mind if it's -20dB compared to the response at 1000Hz.

Exactly what I was thinking! The tiny 9mm drivers won't be able to deliver bass that even a 12in subwoofer isn't capable of!

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 9
I wonder how it would compare to an AT CM7. It's twice as much, but if it were more comfortable it might be worth it to some people.

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
I wonder how it would compare to an AT CM7. It's twice as much, but if it were more comfortable it might be worth it to some people.

It's kind of apples and oranges isn't it? Given the CM7 is an earbud, while the EXQ1 is a canalphone. I find I almost always prefer the canalphones because of the seal.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back