Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Apr 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #797 of 1,922
;l,.which means no matter what DAP you''re using, you're going to get the PHA-3's DAC quality for balanced audio.

That's not true. Other daps must be able to output the digital signal via optical output bc the pha-3 doesn't except coaxial signal.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #798 of 1,922
  what happens if the battery is removed or completely dies int he USA version (or JP)...can it still run just with AC?

Yes, it can be just run with AC. It will behave just like the PHA-3AC version.

You can drop it to any Sony service center to get the battery replaced.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #799 of 1,922
Sadly my PHA 3 has found a new home, and it sounds like it is fated to go without a battery! I loved the PHA 3, but I was using it only for my commute to work and while it fit nicely into my jacket pocket (with nothing else in there to scratch it) with summer around the corner I won't have a pocket so the PHA 3 would be wasted.

The amp was solid, but I think ultimately it was the DAC implementation that was really nice and for such a solidly built, compact footprint item, the PHA 3 is a fantastic piece of kit. When driving my Z7s balanced man did I like it! But even SE with my KEF M500 or the MDR 1a it sounded amazing. Good bye little PHA 3 you will be missed.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #800 of 1,922
Warning about the PHA-3AC: I got my balanced cable, and got an audible hum from the headphones' left channel when switching to line -out, even with nothing connected , not even the power supply.
Since I thought this was very weird I asked on a more technical oriented message board and someone found the answer in the PHA3-AC "help guide" ( http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en3/index.html
search for "battery" in the built in search function): The PHA-3AC has a battery to "support the power supply" , so going for the AC version to avoid battery wear is useless, since it has a much smaller battery (it weighs 70 grams less). Most likely the amp won't work once the battery fails.

The phrasing "support the power supply" and the way my charging light comes on also supports my idea that the AC charger cannot supply enough power on its own: After playing high resolution files through balanced outputs for a while the charging light comes on much longer than when using sensitive headphones with standard cd quality files. I would not be surprised if it would simply shut down after pushing it hard for a while, since the battery is probably too small to "support the power supply" for a prolonged time. I am not going to try it, it's in the box and going back to the store, but like I previously said: The maximum rated power consumption is almost twice what a regular USB phone charger (which is supplied) can deliver.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #801 of 1,922
Warning about the PHA-3AC: I got my balanced cable, and got an audible hum from the headphones' left channel when switching to line -out, even with nothing connected , not even the power supply.
Since I thought this was very weird I asked on a more technical oriented message board and someone found the answer in the PHA3-AC "help guide" ( http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en3/index.html
search for "battery" in the built in search function): The PHA-3AC has a battery to "support the power supply" , so going for the AC version to avoid battery wear is useless, since it has a much smaller battery (it weighs 70 grams less). Most likely the amp won't work once the battery fails.

The phrasing "support the power supply" and the way my charging light comes on also supports my idea that the AC charger cannot supply enough power on its own: After playing high resolution files through balanced outputs for a while the charging light comes on much longer than when using sensitive headphones with standard cd quality files. I would not be surprised if it would simply shut down after pushing it hard for a while, since the battery is probably too small to "support the power supply" for a prolonged time. I am not going to try it, it's in the box and going back to the store, but like I previously said: The maximum rated power consumption is almost twice what a regular USB phone charger (which is supplied) can deliver.

I'm not surprised at your experience. I would have been surprised if they had really designed two different products for the two markets. I suspected that the ac version was really the same battery unit only modified to meet the local regulations. Sounds like it is still powered by the battery but the battery is reduced so it is not portable. I'd love to know what the EU regulation is that they were trying to meet.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #802 of 1,922
A USB computer connection will also give you balanced. At this time, a computer connection is also the only way of getting pure DSD to the PHA-3.

Computer is not the only way. Thru Android is possible as well using USAPP.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #804 of 1,922

Oooh! I had no idea about this app...will give it a try! Thank you very much for posting about it :)

Just in case, please use the USB OTG Cable or use the included PHA-3 Micro USB to Micro USB cable to connect your phone and DAC.

USB Audio Player Pro use the PHA-3 as Android Sound card, so need to connect using that mode.

Glad that is helpful for you :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #805 of 1,922
Notice a problem when I use the PHA-3 with my Windows 7 64-bit setup while playing back DSD Audio using Hi-Res Audio Player.

On the initial setup of the PHA-3 on PC, playback DSD thru Hi-Res Audio player is without issue. However, after you restart your computer and try to listen DSD thru Hi-Res Audio player again, the audio will be just white noise with very faint song being play back. Try with other USB ports, same experience. First work ok, reboot than it become just hissing sound while PHA-3 will still show DSD indicator.

The only work around i have now, is moving the input slides and switch off an on PHA-3 multiple times than it will start playback DSD ok again.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #807 of 1,922
I never had this issue, but I use foobar2000 and upsample everything to DSD256 on-the-fly when playing.

Thanks lithrai, I'll try foobar2000, it could be the Hi-Res Audio Player issue, I had the same problem on Android with the Onkyo HF Player. While UAPP have no such issue.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #809 of 1,922
It's strange they don't list DSD256 capability (only DSD64 and DSD128) but PHA-3 can decode it. I've also tried DSD512, it's not supported.

Took me quite a while to configure the Foobar as I've missed a few step. Now running nicely. Thanks.

How do you upsample everything to DSD256?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back