Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,976 of 7,711
I must listen to the A15...

I saw one in Currys the other day for £159 and I will say it made me a little reticent that I paid nearly six times that for the ZX2...

With all the best will in the world, I hope the A15 sounds really bad...

Some time ago I played around with an A15 demo unit and compared it to my ZX1 before I jumped on the ZX2 bandwagon. I read many comments here on head-fi saying that the ZX1 is only marginally better than the A15. Even more perplexing, some comparisons between the A15 and the ZX2 concluded that the price gap isn’t justified in light of the fact that there are not enough audible improvements. After a few seconds with the A15 I was relieved to hear that all this talk was utter nonsense. I felt underwhelmed by the sonic performance of the A15 after comparing it to my ZX1. The lack of bass, soundstage and the overall impression that the sound was too flat all contributed to my first impressions. Even the equalizer couldn’t offset its shortcomings. I admit that I didn’t spend a lot of time with the A15, partly because I didn’t think it was that great. In my humble opinion the A-series cannot keep up with the ZX models. The ZX-series still reigns supreme when it comes to sound quality, as it should. Later this year Sony will announce and maybe launch the new A20 Walkman. I’m looking forward to what Sony has to offer us next.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6,977 of 7,711
I read Steve Rochlin's review of the ZX1. He was totally disliking it. Now he sings the high praise of the ZX2 and that it rules over the AK340. Is the ZX2 really so much better soundwise as the ZX1? Please let me know.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,979 of 7,711
I keep wondering if it's possible to run a Meridian Explorer (or an Audioquest Dragonfly v 1.2) on the A15. Both good portable DACs. It's a matter of whether the A15 digital audio out port will support the current draw of the DAC. (I once read someone said their tablet complained about the load. Another with the same tablet said it was fine.) Also it might be near impossible to get a USB cable to connect. It would need one that connects to the A15 port that runs to a USB B mini which the DACs use.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6,980 of 7,711
It is a lot better than the ZX1, I agree with Steve 100%.

Btw, what you mean is the AK240.

You mean with the Momentum 2 there's a big sound difference or with the TH900?

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #6,981 of 7,711
You mean with the Momentum 2 there's a big sound difference or with the TH900?

Both headphones the Momentum 2 and the TH900 will bring out the differences between the two ZX models. Admittedly, the TH900 to a greater extent. The improvements are not subtle at all, that's why cheaper headphones work as well. Though I wouldn't call the Momentum cheap. Compared to Fostex headphones most headphones makers sell cheap headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,982 of 7,711
Hi everyone, last year when I was in Japan I opted for the f886 instead of the zx1.  I am just curious has anyone tried the docking cradle that got released a little while back with the f886?  Do stores over there accept foreign credit cards if I walk in to buy something?  I know they don't like foreign credit cards for online purchases.  I thought about pulling the trigger on the zx2 but my hard cash will be spent on other things. Should I just forget it and buy the cradle and be happy?  

The only reason I ask is because when I told some friends what I did, they all said the same thing:  "shoulda gone for it dude!" lol.
Should I "go for it"  this time?

Thanks for your time.  (I have 20 days to decide before I leave for Tokyo)

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #6,983 of 7,711
  Hi everyone, last year when I was in Japan I opted for the f886 instead of the zx1.  I am just curious has anyone tried the docking cradle that got released a little while back with the f886?  Do stores over there accept foreign credit cards if I walk in to buy something?  I know they don't like foreign credit cards for online purchases.  I thought about pulling the trigger on the zx2 but my hard cash will be spent on other things. Should I just forget it and buy the cradle and be happy?  

The only reason I ask is because when I told some friends what I did, they all said the same thing:  "shoulda gone for it dude!" lol.

That cradle, if you are talking about the BCR-NWH10, is a strong consideration for me, as I'm sure I will soon tire of the 4 hour run time I get playing hi res music, and I use the ZX1 pretty much exclusively as a transport for my Hugo.  You might pm OK-Guy, as he uses this cradle with his ZX2.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,984 of 7,711

BCR-NWH10 and STD-NWU10 both work with the F886 or ZX1, if you just want a charging/transfer stand,  STD-NWU10 will fit the bill at about 1750 Yen, whiles if you require a digital out/transfer and charging stand  BCR-NWH10 at about 15000 Yen works.

I had a difficult choice to get either, and I skipped the BCR-NWH10 as I don't need the digital out, as I don't use a digital out to USB or have the amp for it, so I got the STD-NWU10.

Both are well made and very good quality, but getting STD-NWU10, I found myself not even using it, just plugging the cable to the unit is much easier and faster, than using the stand.

BCR-NWH10 is probably much easier to use as it has the weight.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #6,988 of 7,711
It has arrived. The seller sent it filled with loads of music, 50% high res. He probably sold it because he ran out of memory. 110 Gb of music of which I probably like 80%. What a deal.

I could not understand why people are so concerned about running out of 128 gb storage. This player is drag and drop so when it is full simply tranfer some audio content to any micro sd with the help of a compter. Then simply drop into it new audio files. Why are people so complicated?.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,989 of 7,711

It has arrived. The seller sent it filled with loads of music, 50% high res. He probably sold it because he ran out of memory. 110 Gb of music of which I probably like 80%. What a deal.

I could not understand why people are so concerned about running out of 128 gb storage. This player is drag and drop so when it is full simply tranfer some audio content to any micro sd with the help of a compter. Then simply drop into it new audio files. Why are people so complicated?.

The ZX1 doesn't accept memory card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back