Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 8, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #6,691 of 7,711
  Update is rolling for me. Anyone knows what's changed?

Edit:

1 - Still 4.1.1
2 - Seems a little more responsive
3 - Apps don't seem to have been updated...

Will Google to confirm changes, but seems to have been minimal.

Haven't noticed any performance tweaks either.

Not a big deal, but the Walkman player app now allows the user to change the background to black. 

Walkman app ---> Settings --> Change background colour --> Black/ White

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,692 of 7,711
Ah that's nice! Ahhh I want the update so bad.....maybe Germany has to wait again as always. I've built up a VPN to the US but this doesn't help too. :p

Edit: I've just found this link: http://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/support/info/info_nwz-zx1_firmware_20150205.html When I click the download link, I get the version "NWZ-ZX1_V1_14_002.exe" and not the "NWZ-ZX1_V1_14_000.exe" file like before. Both from the Japanese Sony page, but different URLs....anyway, the new one has found my Walkman and I could update it. Runs fine for now. :)

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #6,695 of 7,711
Bit of a price drop on amazon uk atm.  Down to £500 or so now.

What sort of battery life are people getting from the zx1's nowadays?

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #6,697 of 7,711
  Bit of a price drop on amazon uk atm.  Down to £500 or so now.

What sort of battery life are people getting from the zx1's nowadays?

That's an interesting question.

My biggest issue with the battery life of my ZX1 is how much runtime is lost to the Ether. Letting it sit in "sleep" mode—even with a whole host of services disabled, all push/pull notifications turned off, and all radios silenced—I lose, by my calculations, approximately 5.5% battery capacity per 24 hours.

I typically find myself charging it once every 4-5 days. And realistically, I've only listened to 12-14 hours worth of music during that time. Said music is comprised of a majority of MP3s and a relatively small contingent of FLAC 16/44.1 CD rips. No sound enhancements enabled other than the 5-band EQ.

I've installed Wakelock Detector to try to figure out what's causing the drain. Best I can figure, it's Alarm Manager. But even with hundreds of "wakes" it still only results in a couple of minutes worth of run time over the course of a few days. It doesn't seem like that should be responsible for a 5.5% drain per day.

The only logical solution I can come up with is to buy a ZX2.
etysmile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,698 of 7,711
So at a guess from what you've said it's between 8-11 hours or so before needing a charge?

I fancy a new mp3 player that isn't apple (nothing wrong with them, but just bored) and would like a touch screen player.  Can't use phones at work where I listen due to security issues but can use mp3 players.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #6,699 of 7,711
  That's an interesting question.

My biggest issue with the battery life of my ZX1 is how much runtime is lost to the Ether. Letting it sit in "sleep" mode—even with a whole host of services disabled, all push/pull notifications turned off, and all radios silenced—I lose, by my calculations, approximately 5.5% battery capacity per 24 hours.

I typically find myself charging it once every 4-5 days. And realistically, I've only listened to 12-14 hours worth of music during that time. Said music is comprised of a majority of MP3s and a relatively small contingent of FLAC 16/44.1 CD rips. No sound enhancements enabled other than the 5-band EQ.

I've installed Wakelock Detector to try to figure out what's causing the drain. Best I can figure, it's Alarm Manager. But even with hundreds of "wakes" it still only results in a couple of minutes worth of run time over the course of a few days. It doesn't seem like that should be responsible for a 5.5% drain per day.

The only logical solution I can come up with is to buy a ZX2.
etysmile.gif

Are you complaining at 4-5 days of run time? You have to realize that this is not an ipod shuffle, or a clip. It has more in common with a PC than one of those. 4-5 days is pretty damn good. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #6,700 of 7,711
  So at a guess from what you've said it's between 8-11 hours or so before needing a charge?

I fancy a new mp3 player that isn't apple (nothing wrong with them, but just bored) and would like a touch screen player.  Can't use phones at work where I listen due to security issues but can use mp3 players.

Well, it's quite variable.

When I first received the unit, I was listening to it with the EQ turned on, as well as one of the reverb sound enhancements. With that sound enhancement enabled, it lowered the run time by an appreciable amount. Likewise, there's the DSEE HX sound enhancement option which supposedly "restores" signals that are diminished during the conversion to mp3. Sony themselves state in the UI that enabling the feature will greatly reduce run time.

That being said, I was much like you—I wanted out of the Apple ecosystem. I've found the ZX1 to be an excellent choice. It basically is the Android equivalent of an iPod Touch, complete with the ability to use streaming services like Pandora, Rdio and Spotify. And technically, if your work has restrictions about using phones, the ZX1 would be a particularly good choice, as it neither has a cellular radio, nor cameras of any sort.

My two complaints are the run time and the storage capacity. Effectively, I find myself charging the ZX1 twice as often as I did with an iPod Touch. And I greatly underestimated just how far 128GB (113GB effective) goes when dealing with FLAC files, not to mention DSDs (where a single album could be 1-2GB). Still, those are fairly minor quibbles.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,701 of 7,711
That being said, I was much like you—I wanted out of the Apple ecosystem. I've found the ZX1 to be an excellent choice. It basically is the Android equivalent of an iPod Touch, complete with the ability to use streaming services like Pandora, Rdio and Spotify. And technically, if your work has restrictions about using phones, the ZX1 would be a particularly good choice, as it neither has a cellular radio, nor cameras of any sort.

My two complaints are the run time and the storage capacity. Effectively, I find myself charging the ZX1 twice as often as I did with an iPod Touch. And I greatly underestimated just how far 128GB (113GB effective) goes when dealing with FLAC files, not to mention DSDs (where a single album could be 1-2GB). Still, those are fairly minor quibbles.

Thanks.  I'd like to get something more modern than the modded ipod video I'm using (256 gig msata, 12 hours runtime), but every time I look round it's either not enough storage or the battery sucks!

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,702 of 7,711
  Thanks.  I'd like to get something more modern than the modded ipod video I'm using (256 gig msata, 12 hours runtime), but every time I look round it's either not enough storage or the battery sucks!

Presumably Sony must agree with those sentiments on some level, as the ZX2 contains a SD card slot for extra storage, and has a purported 60 hour run time for mp3 playback.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,703 of 7,711

Presumably Sony must agree with those sentiments on some level, as the ZX2 contains a SD card slot for extra storage, and has a purported 60 hour run time for mp3 playback.

Yeah, the ZX2 looks pretty sweet. I've finally given in, it's so much less expensive to just subscribe to Google Music All Access, with its 320k streams, it sounds pretty darn good, so I just don't need the extra storage, but if I was still piling on more and more FLAC files, I could see the need. The battery life looks pretty darn solid, but I use my ZX1 a lot, and it always makes it back to the charger, so it's definitely good enough for my needs. The latest update seems to me to have improved its battery life, that said (much like I suspect with the other issue the update fixed for me) it could be that it wasn't an update to the code, but the clearing of cache and dalvik cache that came with the update that did it for me. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,705 of 7,711
Right, I experience the same due 1.14. But the ZX2 would be too expensive for me, although the SD card slot would be a great advantage, I am not willing to spend so much money on a Walkman, but to each his/her own. I hope there will be someday a store where I can buy EVERY kind of music in FLAC file format, that would be cool.....ok sry that's offtopic. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back