SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Aug 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #5,326 of 7,541
  ^ The copper plate in ZX2 is used for grounding the circuit, it does have an effect on the sound. AK did a similar thing with their AK240SS, where the only difference from regular AK240 is the grounding metal, which changes the sound. At least that's what peoples impressions say.

I would thought grounding the whole circuit and grounding the audio channel are two different things - it will be like saying that using an aluminum chassis on a desktop amp (which also are used for grounding on most desktop amp) gives a 'more balanced' sound than using a steel chassis. Again, I like to have some measurable proof, rather then hearsay or impression, because we all know human listening isn't exactly precise - and if someone is making the claim, (s)he should at least provide some evidence. Plus, I don't trust A&K that much as when they released the AK100, they claimed it is the cleanest sounding DAP in the market at the time - which is true, as someone had measured it on a Audio Precision against other DAP and told me the result, The only problem is that A&K forgot to mention their didn't implement an actual amp section on AK100, but only just put in a couple of transistors and resistor on the line-out to shield it for a direct load and call it the headphone-out, so of course it will be very clean, but also be very much useless and rather deceiving, though not technically wrong by saying it is the cleanest.

A funny thing will be that - by using steel, AK240SS should be a less balanced than the aluminum (*duralumin to be precise) AK240, according to Sony. So which of them is right, I wonder?
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #5,327 of 7,541
The answer is a clear YES! Because that is exactly what I did. Moved from rockboxed ipod classic to A17. Nothing to regret here.
Only problem is that kind of infected me and now I am searching for the next step up... 

Thanks again! Not sure between A17, X3ii and X5. Seems to range from $279.00 to $424.00.
I do like the idea of something lighter but not sure I want to give up sound quality/power to get it.

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,328 of 7,541
Thanks again! Not sure between A17, X3ii and X5. Seems to range from $279.00 to $424.00.
I do like the idea of something lighter but not sure I want to give up sound quality/power to get it.

Shane D

I own the X5 and the A17 and imo you will not be sacrificing sound quality. The A17 sounds much better to me. Since the headphones you chose are pretty easy to drive you don't really need the power of the X5 either.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,330 of 7,541
I own the X5 and the A17 and imo you will not be sacrificing sound quality. The A17 sounds much better to me. Since the headphones you chose are pretty easy to drive you don't really need the power of the X5 either.

That is my main concern. As long as it would drive my two headphones at a moderately loud volume and sound pretty clean, I would be sold.
Just got an email from Best Buy the other day stating that the A17 is on for $279.00. Hmmmm.

Shane D

And thanks for the reply!

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5,331 of 7,541
I agree, the X5 sounds too warm which I hate! A17 sounds nice and airy which I love :)

I read that description a lot over 5,000 plus posts.

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #5,332 of 7,541
I agree, the X5 sounds too warm which I hate! A17 sounds nice and airy which I love
smily_headphones1.gif

Same with fiio X3 which i still own but use it for the car :D, too warm and my A17 sounds so airy and open love it sibnce day 1

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,333 of 7,541
Now is that an F3ii? Just read a review that describes the sound of the new model as closer to the Sony than the former gen 1.

I really won't know for sure until I load my music on a player and A-B it against the Classic.

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #5,334 of 7,541
Has there been any further word on the A20?

My Clip+ is starting to get a bit fritzy, ate another SD card, and I'm getting sick of replacing the things... maybe another Walkman as my second DAP, especially if they can improve some of the a10 annoyances... guess i could try the xduoo x2 or a Cowon as well... are the fiio pocketbricks really so "warm sounding"?

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,335 of 7,541
Now is that an F3ii? Just read a review that describes the sound of the new model as closer to the Sony than the former gen 1.

I really won't know for sure until I load my music on a player and A-B it against the Classic.

Shane D

I meant fiio x3 first gen​

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5,336 of 7,541
  Has there been any further word on the A20?

My Clip+ is starting to get a bit fritzy, ate another SD card, and I'm getting sick of replacing the things... maybe another Walkman as my second DAP, especially if they can improve some of the a10 annoyances... guess i could try the xduoo x2 or a Cowon as well... are the fiio pocketbricks really so "warm sounding"?

for their first gens maybe they are too warm, for the 2nd gens i doubt as the use cirrus logics instead of wolfsons ​

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,337 of 7,541
That is another "fly in the ointment": I would hate to buy an A17 in August and then find out that the A20 is much better in some way, in September.

I know you can't be paralyzed by potential new models, but the new Sony is pretty close.

Shane D

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,338 of 7,541
Yeah probably worth a wait, if only for the potential price drop on the older model- though the A17 seems to have settled in at 260-270 for sale prices, might end up the standard price, unless they are completely changing production over to the new models.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #5,339 of 7,541
That is another "fly in the ointment": I would hate to buy an A17 in August and then find out that the A20 is much better in some way, in September.

I know you can't be paralyzed by potential new models, but the new Sony is pretty close.

Shane D

Actually that might happen, since A15 was first officially showcased on IFA 2014 last September. If I were in your shoe, I might just wait for 2 more weeks till IFA 2015. The next major event after that will probably be in either Japan near the end of year or CES 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back