SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,116 of 7,541

There shouldn't be any resistor in the audio path, but there is a resistor in the LOD (to enable the LO feature, not within the audio path).

There is however two analog output inside the Sony dock connection. One is the un-adjustable LO, while there other is HO. If your 'LOD' level changes with gain, I think it is actually a 'HOD' and not a LOD.

Actually I meant the high gain on my amp. With all cables, the volume on my walkman is disabled. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,117 of 7,541
  Actually I meant the high gain on my amp. With all cables, the volume on my walkman is disabled. 

Then that's normal. A10's LO level is actually very low, about half of older iPod and about 1/4 of newer iPod. That's why you need to increase the gain of your amp.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,118 of 7,541

Then that's normal. A10's LO level is actually very low, about half of older iPod and about 1/4 of newer iPod. That's why you need to increase the gain of your amp.

Thanks for this reminder from earlier in the thread - and it's another reason why I find the idea of going digital out from the A17's WM-Port so appealing - to drive a portable DAC/amp instead of just a portable amp (when interested in using headphones that can benefit from more power than the A17 provides).

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #2,120 of 7,541
Any idea how good would the A15 pair with my details monster Grado sr325i?

Must admit - I was going to order the Fiio X5 but the size of the new A class is just soooo right.

A bit worried that the SQ might not be as impressive as the X5 but even more worried that the output level would just be too low....

Right now it an iPod + C&C portable amp that drive my Grado, volume is fine but SQ is just not good enough and too much hissss as well....

Any comment would be great,
Thanks a lot,
G.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,121 of 7,541
Any idea how good would the A15 pair with my details monster Grado sr325i?

Must admit - I was going to order the Fiio X5 but the size of the new A class is just soooo right.

A bit worried that the SQ might not be as impressive as the X5 but even more worried that the output level would just be too low....

Right now it an iPod + C&C portable amp that drive my Grado, volume is fine but SQ is just not good enough and too much hissss as well....

Any comment would be great,
Thanks a lot,
G.

guys sorry to repeat an earlier post. any ideas if my sennheiser HD 25-II would be a good pairing with the a17? i think the 25's are 70 Ω. i also have shure srh840 which are 44 Ω. which would be the better pairing?

this link may be useful for you : http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,122 of 7,541
My A17 battery finally depleted after 39h 36m for a first charge, constantly fiddling with screen, activating deactivating eefects is pretty good

i will activate battery care after my 3rd charge cycle

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,124 of 7,541

My A17 battery finally depleted after 39h 36m for a first charge, constantly fiddling with screen, activating deactivating eefects is pretty good

Is it better to leave battery care off? I turned it on right away. This is probably why I only got 32 hrs on my first charge.

is a good idea to have it on, also a good idea not to let your battery run down to 0%

I am doing this of batterycare off to charge at least three times the battery during first use to condition it for maximum potential

question @spatzi where you fiddling constantly with the screen, f.e looking for song info or palying arround with efefcts?

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,125 of 7,541

Is it better to leave battery care off? I turned it on right away. This is probably why I only got 32 hrs on my first charge.

battery care stops the charge at about 90% or something like that(it's in the manual but I guess you still didn't go for it). so if 40h was 100% you lost 4h by activating it. \o/ the rest is probably how loud you listen, what headphone you're using, the kind of file you play ...
no need to turn it off 3 charges, take to steps on your left and throw salt over your shoulder while chanting a justin bieber song. if you want those 4hours or something more, don't turn the battery care ON.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #2,126 of 7,541
It's not boomy, just very pleasant.  Not the best bass I've heard but I'm pretty happy considering it's driven by the tiny A17.  Kinda boggles my mind really with the SQ from such a small portable with super battery life too.

Quote:

Okay sorry for that but well sony mexico policies on briging new devices just sucks and well i don't have that budget to get an 1A, aside that hifi in mexico is hard to move (try to sell it) as many love their smartphones and 128 kbps mp3 or aac files

How that the bass is tighter? My fear is they are as boomy as the XBA-H3 (bad bass)

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,127 of 7,541
battery care stops the charge at about 90% or something like that(it's in the manual but I guess you still didn't go for it). so if 40h was 100% you lost 4h by activating it. \o/ the rest is probably how loud you listen, what headphone you're using, the kind of file you play ...
no need to turn it off 3 charges, take to steps on your left and throw salt over your shoulder while chanting a justin bieber song. if you want those 4hours or something more, don't turn the battery care ON.

:sunglasses: Should I send you my signed diploma from Sony college showing I graduated and read the manual? Is that what is required here before I can ask a question? Sheesh, you'd think I was in the x5 forum trashing the x5. Over there I expect to be prodded, but here? If it's a problem for you to answer a simple question in a forum dedicated to the a17 without adding prods about the manual, don't answer. First of all, I didn't get a manual, and second, I know about the 90% charge; the question after seeing someone write that they left it off for three charges, was "why wait to turn on battery saver?" and "is there really any benefit to turning it on at all?" One person here is saying full charges are good before turning it on, and you say it's not necessary. I sometimes get the feeling I entered the land of self appointed Sony overlords, watching the flock, making sure we don't stray. Answers are appreciated but not with eye rolling asides and admission requirements like "sigh..I guess you still didn't read the manual even though I told you a few times already. But here's your answer, peasant, now be off with you." It's really tiresome.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,128 of 7,541
is a good idea to have it on, also a good idea not to let your battery run down to 0%

I am doing this of batterycare off to charge at least three times the battery during first use to condition it for maximum potential

question @spatzi
 where you fiddling constantly with the screen, f.e looking for song info or palying arround with efefcts?

Not really. Set it to clear bass only, and then used the screen as little as possible, playing full albums. BTW, thanks so much for not whipping me with "Guess you still didn't read the manual." before answering. Turns out, we don't really need the forum. It's all in the manual! :mask:

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #2,129 of 7,541
  guys sorry to repeat an earlier post. any ideas if my sennheiser HD 25-II would be a good pairing with the a17? i think the 25's are 70 Ω. i also have shure srh840 which are 44 Ω. which would be the better pairing?

this link may be useful for you : http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html 

The problem with that calculator is that it tells us how loud a headphone can be with various amounts of power (mW) coming in, but that doesn't mean the headphone will achieve its maximum sonic quality at those power ratings.

For example, the Audeze LCD-2 has 70-Ohm impedance with an efficiency of 93 dB / 1 mW. The digizoid page calculates the following results for those variables:

633f3e2b_Digizoid_LCD-2.gif

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php

I don't doubt that this information is accurate, but if 500.66 mW into the LCD-2 is "Painful" and even 158.41 mW is "Very Loud," why does Audeze recommend a minimum of 1000 mW to drive their headphones?

Answer:  We shouldn't be concerned only with how loudly we can play the music with a given amp's rms output - we should also be concerned with how much headroom we will have for dynamics and how much control can be exerted on the movement of the transducer - especially in the bass region, where the mass of moving parts must be accelerated and decelerated at lower frequencies and tend to get sloppy in the absence of sufficient power.

I can plug my LCD-2 into an iPhone and find it to be plenty "loud."  But the bass and even the mids are muddy.

The LCD-2 sounds a lot better plugged into my OPPO HA-1, which can pump out nearly 10,000 times as much power as this chart's calculated 0.17 mW - which I don't doubt is all that's needed for an 85 db SPL "Safe" listening level - and my SPL meter reveals that I routinely listen at about 79 or 80 dB, so I'm not even using 0.17 mW rms from my OPPO HA-1, despite the fact that it can deliver about 1700 mW into 70-Ohms.

So, how much power you "need" to achieve a given SPL level is one thing, but how much power you "want" to take control of the moving parts, bringing them into total submission, is another.

I do like the way the digizoid calculator breaks out the voltage needed and the current needed for a given SPL level, based on headphone impedance, but for the sake of sufficient headroom, I'm a lot more comfortable with multiplying all of their resuts by a factor of 10, at least!  And not to sound arrogant, because there are people out there who have a lot more experience than I do, but I'm recommending a 10x multiplier from empirical observations - listening to many different headphones on many different amps, knowing the power ratings of those amps. These digizoid calculated values simply will not translate to "high fidelity" even when you keep your SPL levels at 80 dB.

Mike

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,130 of 7,541
Are there already fakes for sale? This seems too good to be true or not?
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/SONY-NWZ-A17-A-Series-MP3-Walkman-Black-Bluetooth-Ver-2-1-EDR1-A2DP-AVRCP-OPP-/251789701245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9fd5f07d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back